Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jane Doe - Murdered in Angola - Summer of 1999

Default Jane Doe - Murdered in Angola - Summer of 1999

Remember this cold case from 9 years ago?

http://www.doenetwork.org/

The Doe Network:
    Case File 180UFIN

Unidentified White Female

Located on September 6, 1999 in Angola, Steuben County, Indiana.
    Cause of death is undetermined, believed to be homicide.
    The estimated time of death is 30 - 90 days prior to discovery.

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 40 - 50 years old

Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4"

Distinguishing Characteristics: She had shoulder length brownish/red hair that may have been curly. There were evidence of a healed nose fracture. She was of slight to medium build.

Dentals: She had poor dental health with a 40 percent overbite.. Dental records are available.

Tattoos: She had a tattoo of a "Pachucco Cross" or what may have been a palm tree on the upper left shoulder.

Clothing: None located

Jewelry: A southwest sterling silver ring, size 4 1/2 with a turquoise stone, hoop earrings and a cheap "Lucky Star" watch with a brown leather band were found with the victim.

Left: Victim's Ring Center: Victim's Tattoo Right & Far Right: Victim's Watch

Case History
    On September 6, 1999, police discovered the nude remains of an unidentified female in a field northeast of Angola, Indiana, approximately 2.5 miles east of Interstate 69. It appeared that the remians had been there for at least five weeks prior to being discovered. A bra was wrapped around her neck, indicating that the victim was possibly strangled.

NCIC Number:U-890000648
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Information Source :
    FBI Most Wanted
    Indiana State Police

Default Re: Jane Doe - Murdered in Angola - Summer of 1999

I cannot find the original link to the following story that I saved, but please read it and tell me if it doesn't sound like the exact same circumstances to the crimes as Angola's Jane Doe. If I were a betting man, this person would be my #1 suspect in the murder of Jane Doe:

Police are describing a Nebraska man arrested for rape as a “person of interest” in a series of slayings in the South and Midwest, with American Indian women a disproportionately high number of the victims.

Carl Lawson, a 32-year-old Lincoln resident, was taken into custody this month. A trucker, Lawson faces rape, kidnapping and assault with intent to kill charges stemming from the alleged abduction of a woman from a truck stop in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma. The 51-year-old woman reported to investigators that Lawson told her "you can bite me, scratch. The first three or four I killed. It bothered me, but I kinda like it now."

She says she was raped and beaten, eventually passing out during the assault. When she came to she was on the side of an interstate. A passing motorist picked her up.

Lawson has denied the accusations, saying he struck the woman following a dispute over drugs and money.

His protest aside, officials with both the Oklahoma City Police Department and the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation say they are looking at Lawson in connection with a series of unsolved slayings that have baffled investigators, a case so complicated that officials are not sure how many victims there are or even how many killers are involved.

One thing is certain: many of the known victims were Native American and most are believed to have worked as prostitutes. Casey Jo Pipestem is one example. A passing motorist discovered the nude body of Pipestem, 19, on January 31 in the Texas town of Grapevine. Officials say she was choked to death and her body then dumped from a bridge. Pipestem was a member of the Seminole Tribe.

At least four victims were last seen at a truck stop, and at least three were strangled. Some were also sexually assaulted. The bodies were found near highways and creeks in Arkansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas and Indiana.

Not all suspected victims of the killer have been identified. Police are still looking for help in learning the name of a woman found dead on Oct. 15 of last year in Gray County, Texas. She is described as an American Indian about 40 years old, about 5 feet, 6 inches tall and 140 pounds. She had black hair and brown eyes and was last seen wearing a man's plaid shirt and tan slacks the day before at a truck stop in Sayre, Oklahoma. Witnesses recall that she was looking for a ride.

The most recent killing appears to be Jennifer Hyman, 24, of Oklahoma City, last seen at an Oklahoma City truck stop. Hyman, a prostitute, was found nude and strangled below a Tallahatchie River bridge near Oxford, Miss. on Aug. 20.

Lawson’s home in Lincoln has been searched and some items seized. His bail is currently set at $3 million.

Anyone think the Carl Lawson angle should be pursued further? Maybe let the Oklahoma FBI know there is possibly another victim in Indiana of his and let them sort it out? I provided his name to a local police officer a few years ago, but never heard more about it, so don't know if it ever even went any further than that.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Does anyone remember the murder, or was it too long ago? (It was before Glendarin Hills was developed. The field MAY still be there right next to it, however.)

I saw pictures of some of the body (where the jewlery and tattoo was located) and while my expertise isn't forensics, I'd put her death at closer to the 30 day window than the 90 day window, given it was in the summertime. That would put her death near the 4th of July holiday of that year. The farmer who found her thought it was a dead deer at first, if that tells you how her skin and such looked.

Maybe an enterprising reporter could investigate Lawson further and go on to win a Peabody/Pulitzer/etc, lol.

That was the body Doc Headly discovered, right?

I only ask because the article said "police" discovered her.

Evil Kumquat

Quote Originally Posted by evilkumquat View Post
    That was the body Doc Headly discovered, right?

I only ask because the article said "police" discovered her.

Evil Kumquat
    You are correct, it was the late Doc Headley who discovered her body while tending his field on his tractor. Not sure why it claimed police discovered her.

Love your name, BTW.

I'm kind of surprised that i haven't heard of more cases like this in Steuben County, considering how close we are to the highways, and with the truck stops and everything. Not that that's the kind of thing you'd want to read in the news though. I have to admit that murder mysteries are kind of... morbidly fascinating?

Quote Originally Posted by TSUenviroscigirl View Post
    I'm kind of surprised that i haven't heard of more cases like this in Steuben County, considering how close we are to the highways, and with the truck stops and everything. Not that that's the kind of thing you'd want to read in the news though. I have to admit that murder mysteries are kind of... morbidly fascinating?
    Truckers know: tub of lime, get off every time; dump in the field, your fate is sealed

Here I thought Johnnie Cochran had died...

That's what the liberal media wants you to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by TSUenviroscigirl View Post

You should hang around me then, lol, since I'm working on 2 cold case murders with a couple more requests waiting in the wings. I do it for justice, though, not the morbidity of it. Sensing the pain the families go through is heartbreaking, and it never goes away until there is closure. Do you take TSU's Criminal Justice courses, by any chance? (I saw TSU in your name.)

As far as the possible trucker link, that was the first question many people had asked, are there truck stops nearby, or major highways. Obviously we have no shortage of either one. That lead some of us to Carl Lawson eventually, and then noticed he killed others in the same or similar method and left the bodies in similar places, and he has already been linked to one body found in Indiana, so we know he has been to our state on his truck routes. And the victims were very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusBeebe View Post
    Truckers know: tub of lime, get off every time; dump in the field, your fate is sealed
    Hmmm, where were you in the Summer of 1999?

Quote Originally Posted by james_t View Post
    Here I thought Johnnie Cochran had died...
    LOL! You mean Johnnie "The Color of Justice is Green" Cochrane?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    LOL! You mean Johnnie "The Color of Justice is Green" Cochrane?
    Well, given Lucius' poetic bent, I was thinking more of Johnnie "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit" Cochrane

Well, given Lucius' poetic bent, I was thinking more of Johnnie "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit" Cochrane
    Yes, I know what you were referring to. I was just adding another quote of his. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry for the confusion.
    No need to apologize if I was being dense. (It happens, more often than I care to admit.) I hadn't heard the other quote from Cochrane, though it certainly fits him.

Hey, since you're into cold cases, you should take on the Brown-Simpson/Goldman murders. I'm sure OJ's got plenty of clues he's gathered from his tireless searching on all those golf courses that he could pass along.

Hey, since you're into cold cases, you should take on the Brown-Simpson/Goldman murders. I'm sure OJ's got plenty of clues he's gathered from his tireless searching on all those golf courses that he could pass along.
    LOL! I'm sure OJ is on the brink of finding them, somewhere near the 18th green, I'm sure. He won't be needing me.

If this were the CBS TV show "Cold Case," we'd have audio from some if the hottest music from 1999 to go along with the thread, lol.

Such as: Believe by Cher. No Scrubs by TLC. ...Baby One More Time by Britney Spears (whatever happened to her?) Kiss Me by Sixpence None The Richer. Genie In A Bottle by Christina Aguilera. Every Morning by Sugar Ray. Livin' La Vida Loca by Ricky Martin. And so forth!

Usa2 Re: Jane Doe - Murdered in Angola - Summer of 1999

Hmmm, where were you in the Summer of 1999?
    What are we gonna do now that Mr. L.B. went and got himself into a line-up?

Hey,I got an idea...and now The Power In The Pen award goes to Dark Knight!

ALL HAIL DARK KNIGHT

But of all seriousness the only thing less sadder than a family for sure after nine years must by now be sorely missing a daughter or a mother or maybe even an ex-wife was that nearly the same time that we of Steuben County (the less sadder part) was burying the Jane Doe that a family FINALLY had their sons remains returned home after having been one of them buried in Arlingtons Tomb Of The Unknown Soldiers (via posative DNA results). Again,they BOTH happened at nearly the same time.

Yeah,we buried the Jane Does remains. I remember it well,Police Officers were there sreening people per chance the Purp might attend the grave-side memorial to glorify over the bounty (and MORESO since Media was there)!

An Ex-Law Enforcement Officer said it wasn't wise for my having gone there in the first place but they knew me no better than the one for the main cause of the scenario in my man Al Gore got his prise thread.

As example of not knowing me another Law Enforcment Officer WHO DID know me and told me with an snicker (paraphrased) THAT the noted one expected me to open up an CAN OF WHOOP BUTT on em.

Ha,it's been 23 years now and I know as an matter of fact they think here I sit making some master plan when what they DID NOT GIT 23 years ago (I just found this out in the past six months THAT THEY STILL DO NOT GIT IT) is that it was an GAMING issue and all I walked away with from the table was a STUPID can opener

Tournaments Won: 1

If this were the CBS TV show "Cold Case," we'd have audio from some if the hottest music from 1999 to go along with the thread, lol.

Such as: Believe by Cher. No Scrubs by TLC. ...Baby One More Time by Britney Spears (whatever happened to her?) Kiss Me by Sixpence None The Richer. Genie In A Bottle by Christina Aguilera. Every Morning by Sugar Ray. Livin' La Vida Loca by Ricky Martin. And so forth!
    I knew there was a reason I never installed the audio player plugin for vBulletin on this board.

Dark Knight: I have another case for you; the year is 1994, the town of Hamilton IN, involving the murdered parents of Joseph Edward Corcoran....he was put on trial yet the case remains cold because witnesses took the stand reporting he was outside that morning waiting for the bus when the shots rang out....he was the mastermind behind it, yes, but he was not the one who pulled the trigger (s)--given the proof that one was shot upstairs and the other down, within seconds of each other, means there had to have been two killers (one of whom had commited suicide just a few years ago); the other killer is still out there, one of Joe's old buddies from highschool, class of 95, I think....anyway, you think you could help me solve this one so that the other killer will have to pay as Joe is having to pay, now? I'm all for justice, man and he may have been the mastermind behind it, yes, but there is someone out there who has gotten away with pulling the trigger, for too long now.