Thread: Kimmell and NAFTA

Default Kimmell and NAFTA

I'd like to give everyone's take on NAFTA. I haven't been to Kimmell for quite a while (I'm currently living and working in Japan) but I hear the stories once in a while. Is the economy really as bad off as CNN makes it sound? Unlike Senator Obama (and Ross Perot), I originally supported NAFTA but now it sounds as if I (and Senator Clinton) must have made a big mistake. I remember Ross Perot's "giant sucking sound" of jobs going to Mexico and I thought he was exaggerating but maybe I was wrong. At least, unlike a certain presidential candidate, I can admit my mistake.
    Anyway, fellow Kimmellites, what do you think of NAFTA?

Default Re: Kimmell and NAFTA

Thoughts on NAFTA?

I have only one. If you give a corporation the choice between employing Americans and employing someone else at a cheaper rate, they'll always choose the latter.

NAFTA can go suck it.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusBeebe View Post
    Thoughts on NAFTA?

I have only one. If you give a corporation the choice between employing Americans and employing someone else at a cheaper rate, they'll always choose the latter.

NAFTA can go suck it.
    NAFTA is just an early version of the New World Order.

(does anybody remember that sign that was up in Angola forever, on North Wayne - maybe near the old Kmart? "New World Order never! Sovereign Forever!" something like that)

First Re: Kimmell and NAFTA

I have been in vehicles made in Mexico and I will chose AMERICAN made anytime!

5. Default Re: Kimmell and NAFTA

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigB View Post
    NAFTA is just an early version of the New World Order.

(does anybody remember that sign that was up in Angola forever, on North Wayne - maybe near the old Kmart? "New World Order never! Sovereign Forever!" something like that)
    From the John Birch Society. They used to be everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kingster View Post
    These days, one is likely to find an American-made Toyota or Honda and a Mexican-built Chevy or Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by hairypumper View Post
    From the John Birch Society. They used to be everywhere.
    No too far from where I used to live in Illinois is an old billboard proclaiming, "Get US out of the UN!"

Tournaments Won: 1

Quote Originally Posted by kingster View Post
    Do you have any idea of how many GM vehicles are assembled in Mexico that most people would consider "American Made". A good chunk of the trucks and SUV's that GM produces come from south of the border and I believe construction was started in 2006 or early 2007 on a plant focusing on compact and subcompact cars for US and European markets. At one point (I'm not sure if this is still true) GM was the largest private employer in Mexico. That being said, I believe GM has some very stringent quality control policies in place and the quality of work coming out of Mexico far exceeds the stereotypes in my opinion. But American Made does not mean "Made IN America"

Quote Originally Posted by matt_s View Post
    Do you have any idea of how many GM vehicles are assembled in Mexico that most people would consider "American Made". A good chunk of the trucks and SUV's that GM produces come from south of the border and I believe construction was started in 2006 or early 2007 on a plant focusing on compact and subcompact cars for US and European markets. At one point (I'm not sure if this is still true) GM was the largest private employer in Mexico. That being said, I believe GM has some very stringent quality control policies in place and the quality of work coming out of Mexico far exceeds the stereotypes in my opinion. But American Made does not mean "Made IN America"

In fact, I'd venture to say that if you buy a Honda, Toyota, etc., it is very likely that they are a lot more "American made" than many GM or Ford models. But this really is a red herring, isn't it - cars crossed the division of being national entities into being global entities a long time ago.

I prefer the quote from the russian astronaut in Armageddon: "Russian components, American components... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!!"

10. Fencing Re: Kimmell and NAFTA

Quote Originally Posted by matt_s View Post
    When did Mexico stop being part of America? The United States is just part of America. I think the best Ford trucks came from Canada, which by the way is part of America also.

It is free trade....Mexico gets US plants and the US gets illegal aliens.

When the aliens get here it's free....education, school lunches, healthcare. Have a baby here and you've hit the Lotto! Heck, Eliot Spitzer wanted to give them driver's licenses.

Tournaments Won: 1

Quote Originally Posted by hairypumper View Post
    When did Mexico stop being part of America? The United States is just part of America. I think the best Ford trucks came from Canada, which by the way is part of America also.
    Sorry, you caught me in a quibble I raised to somebody else in another thread. Thanks for keeping me honest - please change anything that references "American in my previous post to read "USA".

13. Fencing Re: Kimmell and NAFTA

Quote Originally Posted by troublesome one View Post
    It is free trade....Mexico gets US plants and the US gets illegal aliens.

When the aliens get here it's free....education, school lunches, healthcare. Have a baby here and you've hit the Lotto! Heck, Eliot Spitzer wanted to give them driver's licenses.
    Excellent points. And when they've earned enough to live like kings in Mexico we'll give them a free bus ride home.

Fencing Re: Kimmell and NAFTA

Bus ride? Heck, they'll get a first class airline ticket!

Usa2 Re: Kimmell and NAFTA

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
    I'd like to give everyone's take on NAFTA. I haven't been to Kimmell for quite a while (I'm currently living and working in Japan) but I hear the stories once in a while. Is the economy really as bad off as CNN makes it sound? Unlike Senator Obama (and Ross Perot), I originally supported NAFTA but now it sounds as if I (and Senator Clinton) must have made a big mistake. I remember Ross Perot's "giant sucking sound" of jobs going to Mexico and I thought he was exaggerating but maybe I was wrong. At least, unlike a certain presidential candidate, I can admit my mistake.
    Anyway, fellow Kimmellites, what do you think of NAFTA?
    Kimmel

With even an ten straight year or so history of residing in the City of my birth (Angola) I'd hope my excuse of having been either out of State or Country more since my grauation from Hamilton School (and then shortly after that having enlisted in the Marine Corps-1970) pleads out okay to my ignorance of who Kimmellites may be

I had to take a peek in the local telephone book because I didn't ever recall any local community of Kimmell though did do some time in Japan on a couple occasions myself GeoffD so if okay here's MY take on your NAFTA question though from an neighboring County

Well,my take on it is not really true because I believe it has already been said though to hilite it (if there's any validity at all in its title for NAFTA) goes to the saying WHO LET THE DOGS OUT (as well IN [and don't we all have our wild? guesses on just who the primary suspects are on that]...) but as I understand we already basically had an world wide free trade agreement with Laws and understanding. But NAFTA was special,intended for only us Americans.

I'm not for admitting that NAFTA was an total failure when that would only profess no hope in it and other Laws/policies that seems to have gone so called belly-up. Or in other words of that what's wrong with looking back for some changes that would better change our future rather than grasping at so called straws and implement new Laws/policies that would/could violently change our future when the simple? resolve is that the old ones never really had their reality time to work out?

In summing up and again,it had ALREADY been answered,but about monetary problems or less immagration problems,where's the difference via the saying for every action there is an re-action? Or in this NAFTA question and if it was truly and primarily intended to benefit WE Americans,maybe there hasn't been ENOUGH action,yet.

Not? changing the subject (at least I don't think so) but found and interesting piece this week while counting out correct change at an local business place. But it was no more an "dup job" than us "old fogies" can recall when spending Canadian pennies as U.S. pennies.

What got my attention and regarding "dup job" because the size and color resembled our U.S. 1 cent piece was when I read its 2cents. Then I put on my over-40s/glasses to read the finer print. It was an 2000 production year of an 2 cent EURO...

I was in agreement with Ross Perot comments about NAFTA.Our policy of paying companies to send the jobs out of the USA is just ridiculous.Don't you think the companies now need an incentive to move them back?Just thinking.