Thread: Fremont baseball

Default Fremont baseball

Fremont's baseball team beat Hamilton yesterday, 39-1

http://www.fwdailynews.com/articles/...7868710969.txt

Did Fremont score anywhere near that many points in football this last season?

Default Re: Fremont baseball

Boy, you've got to feel for those Hamilton kids. It's not like Fremont is the big bully on the block, though they have a good team this year it seems.

Has Hamilton been competitive in any sport since Tom Heitz graduated and went to Kentucky? It's probably a subject for the community board, but I've never understood how they managed to keep their HS during the days of consolidation.

Ouch James. Holy mackerel. I'll smile at that one.

BigB, Hamilton has been competitive in the past 25-30 years. You have been away for awhile.

They won a couple of 1A sectional boys basketball titles a several years back under John Hohnstreiter. The Marines went to semistate in 2000 with Chase Holden, Tyler Hill, Ryan Cline and Ryan Wolfe leading the way, and Bryan Couperthwaite transferring in to give them the point guard to complete a good starting lineup.

Hamilton baseball was an upper division NECC team for the better part of 2 decades under coach Jim Sanxter, and even had some Indiana All-Stars. One of the better collection of girls athletes Hamilton has had were around about 3-4 years back, and a lot of them came together to win a sectional title in softball and play in a sectional final in girls basketball.

Jake Taulbee has a chance to go back to state in the high jump this spring.

Fremont has had a solid baseball program built on a solid foundation, thanks to their Koufax program. Hamilton is barely putting a varsity team together with 11 or 12 guys, and athletic talent is currently on the thin side. However, that does not explain 39-1. Ball games can go crazy like that on occasion, especially at the high school level.

And to be honest, the pitching is not really strong around here, in baseball or softball.

There have not been many overpowering pitchers in our four-county area recently. Churubusco and Fairfield have assembled the better staffs in the are over the past couple of years, and Westview's Anthony Roth has been very effective as a soft tosser.

Softball is a game about pitching, and the closest folks we have with power arms are Micah Bodey at Garrett and Logan Carnahan at Lakewood Park.

The talent in our local 1A sectional has been tremendous, and has made the sectional in various sports really lopsided. Look at Canterbury girls basketball and Blackhawk Christian boys basketball and baseball. They up the ante. Fremont would not flinch or be intimidated if its teams played those high-level teams in a 1A sectional down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by kenf View Post
    Ouch James. Holy mackerel. I'll smile at that one.

BigB, Hamilton has been competitive in the past 25-30 years. You have been away for awhile.
    Well, away or not I read the news, but admittedly I had forgotten about those teams with Chase Holden and company - they were pretty strong. And the competitive remark probably is unfair - I guess it would have been more appropriate to say "a conference champion".

It must be very difficult to work with the small number of students Hamilton has. From a standpoint of competing in most team sports, and from a standpoint of offering specialized classes in high school, it almost seems to be an insurmountable problem. Yet, they seem to occupy most their time with random drug testing policies and controversies surrounding school board meetings.