Thread: Demolition Derby at the Noble County Fair

Juggle Demolition Derby at the Noble County Fair

I would like to comment on a main activity of the Noble County Fair.... The Demolition Derby. Now being a derby participant, means alot of work and energy put into a car that may not quite run the greatest after the first hit. But we do it for the rush. I realize that there were other derby events in our area this last week, but where were all the cars for ours? I remember when we wouldn't be done with the feature til 11 or midnight, and this year our cars were all loaded up by 9. Let alone the fact that there were some participants that should have been recognized either that night or in the paper for their long standing participation, or their wins. Now mind you, I did not win my powderpuff heat, but the women that did were not even mentioned in the paper. Or the fact that one man and his family have been derbying at the Noble County Fair for 38 years, but yet we have an announcer that just wants to talk about his son. And I think that we all know who that is. I really just want to make it known that there are stories behind everyone that participates and puts the money and effort into putting on a show for the packed grandstand.

My story... well the man who's 38th year of demo derby is my father in law. Both of his sons and their wives were all out there driving in support and honor of the legacy that he has passed on to us. And regardless if you know us or not, I am sure that if you were there Saturday night in those grandstands, you know who we are just by the neon shirts that we were wearing. It would be nice to see not only the winners recognized but also the local people for their continued support in such an event.

Default Re: Demolition Derby at the Noble County Fair

Quote Originally Posted by darkangel7878 View Post
    I would like to comment on a main activity of the Noble County Fair.... The Demolition Derby. Now being a derby participant, means alot of work and energy put into a car that may not quite run the greatest after the first hit. But we do it for the rush. I realize that there were other derby events in our area this last week, but where were all the cars for ours? I remember when we wouldn't be done with the feature til 11 or midnight, and this year our cars were all loaded up by 9. Let alone the fact that there were some participants that should have been recognized either that night or in the paper for their long standing participation, or their wins. Now mind you, I did not win my powderpuff heat, but the women that did were not even mentioned in the paper. Or the fact that one man and his family have been derbying at the Noble County Fair for 38 years, but yet we have an announcer that just wants to talk about his son. And I think that we all know who that is. I really just want to make it known that there are stories behind everyone that participates and puts the money and effort into putting on a show for the packed grandstand.

My story... well the man who's 38th year of demo derby is my father in law. Both of his sons and their wives were all out there driving in support and honor of the legacy that he has passed on to us. And regardless if you know us or not, I am sure that if you were there Saturday night in those grandstands, you know who we are just by the neon shirts that we were wearing. It would be nice to see not only the winners recognized but also the local people for their continued support in such an event.

Price of gas has hurt the derby, price of cars hurt the derby. i can remember when your butt hurt so bad for sitting for 6 hours to watch all the cars go through. It is still a fantastic event. I was unable to attend this years derby but I heard the stands were still packed.

Yes they need a new announcer. His son last time i checked was not god and we didn't need to hear 15 billion referals about him. It is getting old.

Juggle Re: Demolition Derby at the Noble County Fair

Now the idea that you have to go out every year and get a new car is just rediculous. A big portion of the cars this year have been smashed before, either at our fair or others in the area. So its not so easy to blame it on the price of cars. Knowing that my family's cars from this year were not beat up to bad, we will use them again next year also. It has become an investment for us.

The price of gas has hit all of us regardless if you derby or not. But then I don't know anyone that would say "Oh I'm not gonna spend the 20 bucks to put gas in a derby car for the chance to win a grand." The prize money is what drives some of us. My husband and brother in law spend months working on cars for one night. They start scouting for new cars in the winter, months before the fair is thought about for others. There are many places to find good derby cars--- its just a matter of taking the time to find them.

Question Re: Demolition Derby at the Noble County Fair

As I was re-reading some of the Noble County Fair comments this morning, I ran across the Demo Derby threads that have been posted and would like to touch on Grandstand entertainment.

Every year the Demo Derby is the biggest and most consistent attraction of the Fair. Seriously, it saves the week for the Fair Board.

Let's hear some comments about the other Grandstand event:

Harness Racing - does anyone even know it's going on? There are practically no people in the Grandstand for this event. It used to be one of the biggest draws back in the 50's.

Truck & Tractor Pull - is Sunday evening a good time to have this event?

Country Concert - good/bad? Tired of it? Want to see some other type of musical entertainment? The Christian Concerts have been tried for several years and have been money losers, and some of the bands were popular with that crowd.

Micro Sprints - something new this year. Good/bad?

Motocross - this is the 3rd or 4th year for it, and it seems to grow in popularity each year, but it is a TON of work to set up.

Rodeo - this is a faithful standby. This was a new company this year. Good/bad?

Combine Derby - there are a couple of smaller derbies that go on that same evening - good/bad?

What would you like to see for Grandstand entertainment?

The boys and I really enjoyed the micro sprints, and I know several other people who attended who said they did as well. The track area seemed a bit small for some of the races, and it seemed like they had some trouble stringing together green flag laps because of it, but I don't know how much you could do about that with the way the grandstand area is set up.

6. Default Re: Demolition Derby at the Noble County Fair

Quote Originally Posted by james_t View Post
    The boys and I really enjoyed the micro sprints, and I know several other people who attended who said they did as well. The track area seemed a bit small for some of the races, and it seemed like they had some trouble stringing together green flag laps because of it, but I don't know how much you could do about that with the way the grandstand area is set up.
    The kid said the micros were cool, but the combines were disappointing. Not in those words. It's been a long time since I was there. They had a tough truck competition that was really great, but I don't think they did it again for some reason. Setting up the course was probably a factor.
    "You don't have to agree with me, it's ok for you to be wrong." A.R.Rogance

Quote Originally Posted by hairypumper View Post
    The kid said the micros were cool, but the combines were disappointing.
    We didn't see either of the demo derbies - cars or combines - due to other things on the calendar.
    What exactly was "automotive football"?

Basically its set up with two teams of 3 cars. One team at each end and then there is a "football car" that they have to score goals with. To my knowledge the football car does not run, its just to be pushed and shoved around.

It was a new thing that they tried in 2007. Not sure how well it caught on. My family had discussed participating but due to long hours working on all 5 of our derby cars, we just didn't have enough time.

We didn't attend any of the other events this year. But one word of suggestion would be to maybe advertise these events more. I know that there really isn't a lot of money left in the budget for that but maybe it would bring more people out to fill up the grandstand.

Fair Time is nearing--- just a couple more weeks and it will be here. Looking forward to seeing the grandstands packed out for the demolition derby on the 25th!!