Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Where do leftover newspapers go?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Auburn, IN
    Posts
    89

    Default Where do leftover newspapers go?

    I'm not sure which forum to put this in....

    I've just built a raised garden (6'x24'). I'm getting soil delivered next week or the week after.

    I'm going to line the bottom of the garden with cardboard and newspaper (great for a garden), but haven't been saving my papers long enough to have much of a supply to line it with.

    A friend said that sometimes a newspaper will make old (unsold) newspapers available for such a project.

    Do any of you have any experience with this?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Angola, IN
    Posts
    6,345

    Default Re: Where do leftover newspapers go?

    I'm pretty sure KPC sends their unsold products (newspapers, real estate guides, inserts, etc.) off to be recycled.

    Either that, or there's a magical newspaper graveyard where unsold newspapers instinctively know where to go for their final rest, their ink bleached away by the unforgiving sun... their pages laying exposed porcelain white to explorers eager to mine such riches for their compost heaps.
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,
    And kumquats are just, plain evil...

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Auburn, IN
    Posts
    89

    Default Re: Where do leftover newspapers go?

    I must find this magical newspaper graveyard!!

    I guess I should have asked.... any thoughts on how I could go about getting my hands on a few dozen newspapers (or however many it would take to cover 144 square feet 3 sheets deep)?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kendallville
    Posts
    1,162

    Default Re: Where do leftover newspapers go?

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGearhart View Post
    I must find this magical newspaper graveyard!!

    I guess I should have asked.... any thoughts on how I could go about getting my hands on a few dozen newspapers (or however many it would take to cover 144 square feet 3 sheets deep)?
    Hey Joe,

    I work at a place that accumulates a LOT of newspapers. I usually take them to the Humane Society but I could probably sling a few your way. Figure out how many you need and how soon you want them, then maybe the next time I'm in Auburn (that's where you are, right?) I could drop them off to you.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kendallville
    Posts
    4,724

    Default Re: Where do leftover newspapers go?

    As far as I know the papers that aren't recycled are sold at face value, so I doubt that would be cost-effective.

    If you didn't mind the drive to Kendallville you might want to inquire about purchasing an end roll - the part of the roll of paper left when there's too little to run the press. These are usually not too pricey and will get you lots of newsprint.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Coast, FL
    Posts
    784

    Default Re: Where do leftover newspapers go?

    I would love to give you mine that I recycle but I live in the Angola area.

    I know that the shelter had a bunch of newspapers stacking up and was accumulating too many so if anyone is taking them to the Steuben County Humane Society you can hold off for awhile as they have enough for now. But thanks for thinking of the shelter.
    "A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him."~David Brinkley

  7. Default Re: Where do leftover newspapers go?

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGearhart View Post

    I'm going to line the bottom of the garden with cardboard and newspaper (great for a garden), but haven't been saving my papers long enough to have much of a supply to line it with.
    I think I read somewhere to be sure NOT to use newspaper with colored ink, use black/white print pages only.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Auburn, IN
    Posts
    89

    Default Re: Where do leftover newspapers go?

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    I think I read somewhere to be sure NOT to use newspaper with colored ink, use black/white print pages only.
    Yes, black ink is soy based and is biodegradable. I get mixed replies with colored ink. Some say it's the SHINY pages (ads and such) that I shouldn't use and that regular newsprint is ok, others say that anything with colors is bad.... *confused*

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ashley
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Where do leftover newspapers go?

    Quote Originally Posted by james_t View Post
    As far as I know the papers that aren't recycled are sold at face value, so I doubt that would be cost-effective.

    If you didn't mind the drive to Kendallville you might want to inquire about purchasing an end roll - the part of the roll of paper left when there's too little to run the press. These are usually not too pricey and will get you lots of newsprint.

    Those rolls are good for kids to use for coloring, and painting. Many years ago someone bought me one, and my kids loved it. Just an idea for any parents out there. I know that that was not about the topic. Sorry, but when I read this post.. that is what popped in my head.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Auburn, IN
    Posts
    89

    Default Re: Where do leftover newspapers go?

    Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I was able to get my hands on a handful of newspapers that I used to line the garden. I've posted a few picture of the project on my blog. Feel free to check them out if you're curious. I'm extremely pleased with it all:

    http://www.irrationaldad.com/2009/04...s-boyhood.html

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •