Thread: Am I missing something?

Default Am I missing something?

I was at the East Noble-Concord football game tonight and I'm still trying to figure out what Concord was doing at the end of the game.

They were up 34-28 with time running out, and instead of just running the ball in bounds and taking a couple knees to run the clock out, they started throwing passes, calling time outs and working the clock to try to score, even though they were already leading. It nearly backfired; EN almost intercepted one before the QB finally took a knee on fourth down with 12 seconds left.

What am I missing here? Once it's first down and you're under a minute, why wouldn't you just run the clock out?

Default Re: Am I missing something?

When my kids were in high school band and competed against Concord, the scuttlebutt was that all their money went to their music program instead of sports. What you saw tonight makes me wonder if it was, in fact, true.

Quote Originally Posted by james_t View Post
    I was at the East Noble-Concord football game tonight and I'm still trying to figure out what Concord was doing at the end of the game.

They were up 34-28 with time running out, and instead of just running the ball in bounds and taking a couple knees to run the clock out, they started throwing passes, calling time outs and working the clock to try to score, even though they were already leading. It nearly backfired; EN almost intercepted one before the QB finally took a knee on fourth down with 12 seconds left.

What am I missing here? Once it's first down and you're under a minute, why wouldn't you just run the clock out?
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam1 View Post
    When my kids were in high school band and competed against Concord, the scuttlebutt was that all their money went to their music program instead of sports. What you saw tonight makes me wonder if it was, in fact, true.
    To answer James, a good sportsman never quits until it's over. To answer Miriam1, there is no way any school in Indiana spends more on their band, than on sports. Their band boosters may raise a comparable amount, but I doubt it.
    coming to you live from police state "Kville"

Three possibilities, which may not be mutually exclusive:

1. Concord was practicing their hurry up offense.

2. Concord had their second string in the game, and wanted to see what they could do.

3. Concord has bad blood with East Noble, maybe due to the situation being reversed in recent years?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigB View Post
    Three possibilities, which may not be mutually exclusive:
    The only other thing I could think of with was that they were possibly trying to increase the margin of victory to boost their ranking in the state poll.

I asked our sports editor and he said it's a possibility since they had received some votes, but he wasn't sure.

That would strike me as a bit cheesy, but I know that's how those things work, sometimes.

The only other thing I could think of with was that they were possibly trying to increase the margin of victory to boost their ranking in the state poll.

I asked our sports editor and he said it's a possibility since they had received some votes, but he wasn't sure.

That would strike me as a bit cheesy, but I know that's how those things work, sometimes.
    Since polls don't really mean diddly squat in Indiana HS Football, I doubt there are too many coaches that would be *that* concerned with it.