Thread: What to Buy Dad For Christmas???

Default What to Buy Dad For Christmas???

I need some help. My mom is so easy to buy for at Christmas.
    My dad, on the other hand, not so much.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
    What have you bought your father in the past years?
    Help, I am stuck. Help.

HomeyG Guest

Default Re: What to Buy Dad For Christmas???

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Slotz View Post
    I need some help. My mom is so easy to buy for at Christmas.

Help, I am stuck. Help.
    Not knowing how old your father is, but for me, I am beyond the need for material gifts. Sometimes a card, a call or a visit is all that is necessary. When buying a card buy one that says what you really feel. We older people pick up on things like that. If a present is what you want to buy stay away from clothing. Those can be bought anytime, unless he is into clothing. If clothing is his choice don't worry about being coorindated. We've been known to wear polka dot shirts with plaid pants pull up to our chests. If you don't believe me check out some of us old duffers on the golf course. Gifts toward a hobby is more appropriate. Since I'm a home tinkerer, tools were always nice. My daughter was great at buying gifts. Besides the usual gifts I've gotten things like wood-working lessons and golf lessons. These things can be relatively inexpensive but greatly appreciated.

Hope this helps you out a little bit.

Homey

I have become a fan of gift cards for people who are difficult to buy for. You can even jazz them up by putting them in a basket with other items, making it into a gift basket. Like, if your dad is into golf, you could have a gift certificate to a golf course plus some golf balls, tees, etc. Or you could do a movie night kind of gift basket with a DVD, wine, popcorn and candy. Just stick it all in a basket with some tissue paper and a bow, and you're good to go!
    She who is called "Queen of the Fence" wishes you a pleasant day!

May the Force be with you!

Pictures of the grandkids.

When my oldest was a few months old, I snapped a picture of him sitting in my dad's lap while my dad was reading the newspaper - it looked like the two of them were reading it together. I blew it up, then took some finger paint and put some of my son's handprints on the matte, then framed it.

Great ideas.

What do you all think about this.

http://www.talkingpresents.com/Talki..._pedometer.htm

6. Default Re: What to Buy Dad For Christmas???

Great ideas.

What do you all think about this.

http://www.talkingpresents.com/Talki..._pedometer.htm
    Who is going to do all the programming it needs and show him how to use all the features?

I remember when my brother programmed my parents cell phone for voice dialing. I got to go deprogram it after they got the very large cell phone bill for the pocket phone calls.

Quote Originally Posted by armyda View Post
    Who is going to do all the programming it needs and show him how to use all the features?

I remember when my brother programmed my parents cell phone for voice dialing. I got to go deprogram it after they got the very large cell phone bill for the pocket phone calls.
    My dad is "young" for being in his 70's. He still gets on his 10 speed and will go on bike trips. Some of the rides are 100 miles a day!! He loves to walk too.

What do you think about a Kindle? Does anyone have one?

http://hubpages.com/hub/Kindle-Book-Reader

I have a cousin who is 2 yrs older than me. Her eyesite has really been getting worse every year. She called me recently with excitement about her husband getting her a Kindle. She had always been an avid reader and her eyesite had brought her to a level of depression that I had really been concerned about her.

If you were talking to my cousin about a Kindle, I can tell you, she would HIGHLY recommend it.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    I have a cousin who is 2 yrs older than me. Her eyesite has really been getting worse every year. She called me recently with excitement about her husband getting her a Kindle. She had always been an avid reader and her eyesite had brought her to a level of depression that I had really been concerned about her.

If you were talking to my cousin about a Kindle, I can tell you, she would HIGHLY recommend it.
    I really think he would like one too. Just do not know if he would use it enough.

I really think he would like one too. Just do not know if he would use it enough.
    They sure are not cheap. Last time I checked they range between $299 and $499 depending on features. The more expensive model actually reads the book to you.

My cousin has the cheaper version because she is able to magnify the words and she says the words are more important to her than the audio readings.

HOWEVER...if someone is loosing their ability to read even magnified letters, she says she can see how that would be a real benefit for one who is still quite interested in reading but has totally lost their ability to see in their later days.
    Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    They sure are not cheap. Last time I checked they range between $299 and $499 depending on features. The more expensive model actually reads the book to you.

My cousin has the cheaper version because she is able to magnify the words and she says the words are more important to her than the audio readings.

HOWEVER...if someone is loosing their ability to read even magnified letters, she says she can see how that would be a real benefit for one who is still quite interested in reading but has totally lost their ability to see in their later days.
    That is a great feature. Truly amazing. I really do think I might get it for him. I got a nice gift certificate and I may use it on the kindle. Thanks Helen.

I showed my wife how to download books.

I miss my wife.

Maybe you can read the books with her?

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.slotz View Post
    i need some help. My mom is so easy to buy for at christmas.

Help, i am stuck. Help.
    to all of you, i think the greatest gift is time together. I just lost my father and hero, to lung cancer on november 15th. He was just diagnosed 2 months before that. If i were to be able to get my father a gift this year, it would just be for more time together, and that he would and could have been cured of this horrible disease.
    The greatest gift of all are precious memories.

Quote Originally Posted by coyoteangel2003 View Post
    to all of you, i think the greatest gift is time together. I just lost my father and hero, to lung cancer on november 15th. He was just diagnosed 2 months before that. If i were to be able to get my father a gift this year, it would just be for more time together, and that he would and could have been cured of this horrible disease.
    Bless Your Heart. You are right, time together, laughing, crying, loving and sharing moments are priceless.
    My parents live over 2 hours away. It is so difficult to make time when you work 45 plus hours a week.
    My folks are never home. They travel, they know that they are getting old and refuse to stay home and get older. They use every amount of energy they have each and everyday. I see them around 8 times a year, not nearly enough. I can't keep up with them.
    I am terribly sorry about your loss. I am sure your father is looking down on you right now and is proud of you.
    One day, you will be together.
    Until then, embrace those beautiful memories and live the rest of your life. Try to be happy, that is what your father would want. Make him proud.

Quote Originally Posted by coyoteangel2003 View Post
    Coyoteangle,

You have my sincere condolences. I am so very sorry for your loss. If you ever feel the need to just visit with someone, please feel free to PM me here.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Helen
    Hans Christian Anderson

It's hard to figure out what to get parents once they get older -- they've had a lifetime to acculumlate "stuff" and don't need or want much else.

As a writer, I always think books are a good idea and the Kindle is great for someone who reads a lot, especially if he likes to travel. You can download tons of books to take along on your trip but only have to pack one thing. If you don't have the big dough to buy one of the new readers but you'd still like to give something special -- what about an autographed copy of a book? You can find lots of them online through charity auctions. Or, if he's interested in something like cooking or area history, etc. there's probably a local author who'd be happy to sign the book - and personalize the greeting - for free.

Speaking of history, two years ago we decided my inlaws had enough new things so we decided to give them something "old". We knew my father in law used to meet my mother in law at the drug store soda fountain where she worked after school when they were courting. After her shift, he'd walk her the mile back to her house, then take the bus to his own home. We were able to find an old hometown bus token from back in the 40's to give to him. I think it cost us less than ten bucks but he was delighted with it.

That same year, we spent some time researching my mother in law's family history and put together a family tree with a notebook full of stuff we got off the internet about her ancestors. She was really excited about it and has asked us to look into one of the more obscure branches of her tree as her gift this year. It's been fun for all of us.

If you're crafty, you could put together a scrapbook or photo album for them. One year we gave our parents a couple of disposable cameras, a spade and an empty scrapbook. We asked them to take pictures of their garden through the year, then we got all the pictures developed and gave them the completed book for Christmas the next year. Since your parents like to travel, you could suggest they take photos as they go. If you'd like to spend a little more, give them a digital camera to record their trips. There are some online retailers that do really nice bound books of photos too.

This year I'm giving my f-i-l a digital voice recorder. He's had a pretty interesting life and he's mentioned he would like to write a "memoir" of sorts - just for family. With the digital recorder, he can tell all those stories to the machine, then I can type them up for him. I might even put them together with some family photos and get it "published". I know he'd love that.

One of my friends gets together with all of her siblings and they purchase handyman services for their widowed mother. She can use them through the year for things like lawn mowing or other little things that need done around the house. My mom and stepdad have a ton of leaves at their home and every year raking them up gets harder and harder. I'm trying to find someone in their hometown who will do that for them next year. If I can locate a service, I'd love to give them that as a gift. I know they'd appreciate it.

Some years we haven't been so imaginitive. My parents live in Florida part of the year. They like to eat out and go to movies a lot while they're down there. I give them gift cards to the local theater and to restaurants. They like a good bargain too, so I've thought about getting them one of those entertainment books that has discounts for meals out, services and at other stores. If your dad lives near a bigger city, there's probably one out there.

Finally, I second coyoteangel's suggestion. Why not give your dad the gift of time? Schedule a weekend trip that is just to spend time with him -- it's a gift for both of you.

Edeevee,

Some excellent and thoughtful suggestions there. You certainly stimulated my thinking process for my parents. (no...I still haven't picked their gifts out)

Thanks for the input.

Helen
    Hans Christian Anderson