Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tipping your News Paper Delivery Carrier

Default Tipping your News Paper Delivery Carrier

How much is an appropriate amount of money to tip your paper carrier?

Is it better to give them a gift of food or is money the right way to go?

Default Re: Tipping your News Paper Delivery Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Slotz View Post
    How much is an appropriate amount of money to tip your paper carrier?

Is it better to give them a gift of food or is money the right way to go?
    Money is almost ALWAYS the better option.

Food may not always be appreciated by the recipient. Unless it's a friend or family member, do you really know the receiver's dietary condition (allergies, diabetes, currently on a diet, etc.)?

Plus, food can be rather inconvenient to transport. If your carrier shows up to deliver the paper and you hand him a box of cookies, where is he going to put it? A five dollar bill fits easily in the pocket.
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,
    And kumquats are just, plain evil...

Quote Originally Posted by evilkumquat View Post
    Money is almost ALWAYS the better option.

Food may not always be appreciated by the recipient. Unless it's a friend or family member, do you really know the receiver's dietary condition (allergies, diabetes, currently on a diet, etc.)?

Plus, food can be rather inconvenient to transport. If your carrier shows up to deliver the paper and you hand him a box of cookies, where is he going to put it? A five dollar bill fits easily in the pocket.
    Great Advice. Mine is a motor carrier. I will mail them a card. I wonder if 5 dollars is enough?

Great Advice. Mine is a motor carrier. I will mail them a card. I wonder if 5 dollars is enough?
    As to that, I have no idea.

I am unaware of any set formula for tipping newspaper delivery people. It's not like the 15% gratuity for restaurant employees.

I would suggest tipping whatever you feel comfortable. If you have received exceptional delivery (i.e., the paper was always on time, dry on rainy days, etc.) by all means tip well ($20 or so).

If, however, the paper is often late, or left open to the elements... well, tip whatever your conscience decides.
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,

I think you should tip your forum moderators ...
    She who is called "Queen of the Fence" wishes you a pleasant day!

May the Force be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by jennyk View Post

I totally agree.

Tip: Never eat yellow snow!
    ~You reap what you sow~

Tip: Don't wear white in the rain. LOL

Shoot, I'm just thankful for the days they're not burning me in effigy.

Quote Originally Posted by james_t View Post
    Shoot, I'm just thankful for the days they're not burning me in effigy.
    LOL James.

I just got a great tip from a carrier that I really think is important.
    I did not know that the carriers have to pay for the nice bags they put the newspapers in when the weather is bad.
    I normally would fill mine with air and POP, that is the end of the bag.

They said they really appreciated it when some of their customers would save the bags up and give them back.

I hope we can all save them up and give them back to our carriers. They really do work hard. They will deliver those papers in rain, sleet or snow.
    God Bless Our Carriers.

I just got a great tip from a carrier that I really think is important.
    I did not know that the carriers have to pay for the nice bags they put the newspapers in when the weather is bad.
    I normally would fill mine with air and POP, that is the end of the bag.

They said they really appreciated it when some of their customers would save the bags up and give them back.

I hope we can all save them up and give them back to our carriers. They really do work hard. They will deliver those papers in rain, sleet or snow.
    God Bless Our Carriers.
    Why on earth do the carriers have to pay for the rain bags out of their own earnings? Isn't that like a waitress having to pay for their customer's napkins? Maybe bad comparison but it does not make sense to me.
    "A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him."~David Brinkley

Quote Originally Posted by denali View Post
    Why on earth do the carriers have to pay for the rain bags out of their own earnings? Isn't that like a waitress having to pay for their customer's napkins? Maybe bad comparison but it does not make sense to me.
    I do not know why they have to pay for the bags? I am not even sure if what I was told is true?
    I bet James can clear this up.

I do not know why they have to pay for the bags? I am not even sure if what I was told is true?
    I bet James can clear this up.
    I just sent an e-mail to our circulation director. I'll let you know what he says.

14. Default Re: Tipping your News Paper Delivery Carrier

They have to buy their own rubber bands too. Some customers demand to have their paper bagged every day, they never save the bags. If memory serves me the daily bags are $19 a box and Sunday bags are $26. Rubber bands are like $2 a bag. Considering carriers only make about $15 to $20 a day after fuel cost bags are a pretty significant expenditure every few weeks.
    "You don't have to agree with me, it's ok for you to be wrong." A.R.Rogance

Quote Originally Posted by hairypumper View Post
    They have to buy their own rubber bands too. Some customers demand to have their paper bagged every day, they never save the bags. If memory serves me the daily bags are $19 a box and Sunday bags are $26. Rubber bands are like $2 a bag. Considering carriers only make about $15 to $20 a day after fuel cost bags are a pretty significant expenditure every few weeks.
    I will be saving the rubber bands and the bags. Carriers are not making enough money at all. I am going to contact my carrier and let them know that once a month i will have a package of the bags and rubber bands for them.

Think about it? It is much more convenient for me to stay home and have the paper delivered. Carriers deserve a big raise!

Here are the answers I got from Bruce Hakala, our circulation director:

On appropriate tips:

Nearly all carriers prefer tips of money to help with gas and other personal expenses although they do appreciate any thank you tip. In regards to how much is appropriate, that is totally up to the giver since each person's financial situation and quality of service varies.

On buying bags:

In order to comply with federal independent contractor standards, newspaper carriers are required to pay for their own supplies including plastic bags, rubber bands and gas.

If a customer has their newspaper delivered to a tube and wants to return the rubber bands and/or plastic bags for carriers to reuse, lightly stuff them in one bag until the bag is full and leave in the tube for the carrier to pick up or drop them off at one of our offices. Please note that if your paper is normally tossed in your driveway or by a door, we don't suggest reusing them since even light tossing can scuff the bag and further use can lead to a bag that will not adequately protect a newspaper when it rains.

On appropriate tips:

Nearly all carriers prefer tips of money to help with gas and other personal expenses although they do appreciate any thank you tip. In regards to how much is appropriate, that is totally up to the giver since each person's financial situation and quality of service varies.

On buying bags:

In order to comply with federal independent contractor standards, newspaper carriers are required to pay for their own supplies including plastic bags, rubber bands and gas.

If a customer has their newspaper delivered to a tube and wants to return the rubber bands and/or plastic bags for carriers to reuse, lightly stuff them in one bag until the bag is full and leave in the tube for the carrier to pick up or drop them off at one of our offices. Please note that if your paper is normally tossed in your driveway or by a door, we don't suggest reusing them since even light tossing can scuff the bag and further use can lead to a bag that will not adequately protect a newspaper when it rains.
    So the carriers aren't even employees of KPC...?

Sheesh!
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,

Quote Originally Posted by evilkumquat View Post
    So the carriers aren't even employees of KPC...?

Sheesh!
    Maybe they are sub contractor's

Maybe they are sub contractor's
    That was my point.

As contractors, not only do they not get benefits, they'll have to pay more in taxes (to cover what KPC should have been paying had they been normal hires).

Then again, as newspapers seem to be having the lifespan of fruit flies these days, I suppose they have to watch all their expenses.

But still... sheesh.
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,

On appropriate tips:

On buying bags:

does this include the smart shopper too?

are reporters, photographers, and other staff independent contractors as well, or is it just the lowly carriers?