View Poll Results: Should minors be allowed to sit in bars with their parents?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, when accompanied by an adult.

5 22.73%
  • Yes, but with some age restrictions (no small children, a minimum age)

5 22.73%
  • Never

12 54.55%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kids in Bars

1. Default Kids in Bars

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Slotz View Post
    Hubby and I always it in the bar when we go out to eat because we do not want to hear children crying or see them running around. Nothing wrong with kids, we just want to have a nice quiet evening out while dining. While in the bar, we do not even order cocktails, we get water with a lemon.
    Don't I have a right to eat without disrespectful children running around? It is not good for my blood pressure at all.
    Above is from another thread, brings up an interesting question. Indiana does not allow anyone under 21 in a bar or bar area. Other states, such as Ohio & Illinois allow minors in a bar area as long as they are with someone over 21. Some states do not allow minors to sit at the bar itself, while others do. Of course, they can not drink alcohol unless 21.

When we go out to eat kidless, (not often) we also prefer the bar/lounge atmosphere without young kids. Its just a more relaxing atmosphere. When the kids (17 & 21) are with us, we are asked if we want to sit in the bar area, the youngest will pointedly say "No, I'm not 21."

Is Indiana doing it right not allowing kids in the bar area, or are we backwards?

Default Re: Kids in Bars

Indiana currently DOES NOT allow kids in bars open to the public. There should be some adult venues that aren't invaded by children and bars are now about the only place of refuge.

There exists one wrinkle...children of all ages ARE allowed in private clubs with bars...and even in the bar room area (but not seated at the bar). I've seen many time small children running free throughout the area, unchecked by their parents. Babies also are frequently visitors as well. A bar is not the proper atmosphere for small children, especially babies, because the parents also drink as well.

Personally, I want to imbibe without children in my midst.

Is that too much to ask?

Some people are bad enough to be around when they drink without thier kids running around too!I have been a member at several private clubs that keep pretty tight control of the kid situation by limiting ages and hours and your ability to control your kids.They don't allow them to run wild without supervision.Most require a parent at the table with the children.

Tournaments Won: 1

I don't have a problem with kids in a bars. Responsible consumption of alcohol doesn't have some moral taboo with me. I have no more of a problem with unruly children in that setting as I do with them in any setting. I've been in bars where the adults have been enough of a problem to make up for a lack of kids. In a public setting parents need to take responsibility for their children and not selfishly only pay attention to their own social or culinary needs.

I'm of mixed opinion on whether or not to leave this up to choice. We either allow establishments to discriminate based on age or we don't. But I understand the desire to create an adult friendly environment.

5. Default Re: Kids in Bars

You make good points about unleashed children in bars, but that is not the fault of the law. It is mainly selfish parents(?) who seem to think the world revolves around their family. The establishment carries some of the blame for allowing it to happen. When I went to Orlando a number of years ago I was shocked when a lady sat her small children right up at the bar ( I didn't know it was legal there ), but they were very well behaved and they ate quietly then left. A rarity these days for sure.
    "You don't have to agree with me, it's ok for you to be wrong." A.R.Rogance

Quote Originally Posted by kingster View Post
    I have been a member at several private clubs that keep pretty tight control of the kid situation by limiting ages and hours and your ability to control your kids.They don't allow them to run wild without supervision.Most require a parent at the table with the children.
    you must not be talking about the angola moose. there are always kids running rampant while their parents get lubed. i'll bet that's why alot of people pay for memberships to places like that. (not to mention the discount on drinks too)

i think 18 should be the legal drinking age. your old enough to go to jail and old enough to go to war killing people, why not old enough to drink?

Not that I want to change the direction of this thread, but I can liken allowing children into bars, with allowing people in bars to smoke. I personally believe it should be up to the bar owner whether or not children or smoke should be allowed. The people, should be warned at the door that either are present before entering, as either can spoil your evening.

tallrob Guest

My teenage son and my ex wife live in southern Arizona. I flew down and spent a week eith over Christmas break.
    In Arizona, minors are also allowed in bars and restaurants with bar areas. We would go out for dinner and sit in the bar area and have an enjoyable dinner.

I spent over two weeks vacationing in europe this past fall. The legal age for drinking in most european countries is 16 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by blue adept View Post
    Not that I want to change the direction of this thread, but I can liken allowing children into bars, with allowing people in bars to smoke. I personally believe it should be up to the bar owner whether or not children or smoke should be allowed. The people, should be warned at the door that either are present before entering, as either can spoil your evening.
    i thinks parents that are planning on going out drinking, should leave the kids at home.

smoke wise, i agree. it does not matter. i don't think parents (that do take their kids to smoky bars) care about smoking around their kids at home. why should it matter in a bar?

Isn't the reason to keep kids out of bars for their protection rather than those doing the drinking?

Something along the lines of we don't want children influenced to drink by watching adults enjoy themselves doing it?
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,
    And kumquats are just, plain evil...

My Dr.'s old office had a sign on the wall that said something like, "Unattended or unruly children will be given to the zoo." I thought it was funny. Even if it was allowed by law, I would have never taken my kids to a bar. A restaurant with a bar is different because most of them are separated by some kind of window or wall/doors. We like to get out now and then and have a nice dinner and a couple of drinks and having screaming kids near us kind of kills the mood, if you will. If parents can't keep their kids under control and make them behave, then they should leave them with a sitter.

I remember one evening several years ago, we were at Pizza Hut in Kendallville with all three boys. There was another couple who had two kids, a boy and a girl. They were laughing very loudly, getting up every couple of minutes and running up and down the aisles and chasing each other, obviously getting on everyone's nerves. An older couple came over to our table and the gentleman said, "I would just like to thank you for raising such well behaved sons." We thanked him back and they left. Kids live what they learn and if they learn they can push the limits and misbehave, you bet they will.
    ~You reap what you sow~

I do not want children in the bar. I earned the right to go into a bar when I turned 21 and so should everyone else.
    I also hate it when I go to the American legion and a certain group of people come in and they have a little baby who is like 8 months old. They are all drinking, passing the baby around, putting the child on the floor on a blanket with toys, while drinkers are walking around. Babies do not belong at the bar, get a babysitter.

I do not want children in the bar. I earned the right to go into a bar when I turned 21 and so should everyone else.
    I also hate it when I go to the American legion and a certain group of people come in and they have a little baby who is like 8 months old. They are all drinking, passing the baby around, putting the child on the floor on a blanket with toys, while drinkers are walking around. Babies do not belong at the bar, get a babysitter.
    I couldn't agree more, Mrs Slotz!
    ~You reap what you sow~

14. Default Re: Kids in Bars

Quote Originally Posted by evilkumquat View Post
    Isn't the reason to keep kids out of bars for their protection rather than those doing the drinking?

Something along the lines of we don't want children influenced to drink by watching adults enjoy themselves doing it?
    Actually, it works both ways. If a kid sees a drunk making an *** out of him/herself the kid may decide he/she doesn't want to become that person. It could be a good teaching opportunity for the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by hairypumper View Post
    Actually, it works both ways. If a kid sees a drunk making an *** out of him/herself the kid may decide he/she doesn't want to become that person. It could be a good teaching opportunity for the parents.
    Chances are that kid has already seen the drunk making an *** of themself.

OK, now I am doing some reading on the topic. Here is someone elses opinion.

http://www.dadwagon.com/2010/01/18/t...elong-in-bars/

17. Default Re: Kids in Bars

Gee, you must be a youngster. I earned the priveledge when I turned 18. We don't have a problem with kids at the Eagle's. Parents are pretty good about keeping them in line, if not someone is quick to say something.

Quote Originally Posted by hairypumper View Post
    Gee, you must be a youngster. I earned the priveledge when I turned 18. We don't have a problem with kids at the Eagle's. Parents are pretty good about keeping them in line, if not someone is quick to say something.
    Yep, we're younger than you...21 was the age for me. It's so nice to be able to say that!
    ~You reap what you sow~

19. Default Re: Kids in Bars

OK, now I am doing some reading on the topic. Here is someone elses opinion.

http://www.dadwagon.com/2010/01/18/t...elong-in-bars/
    Wow, that picture would get you visits from social services in England. I was reading earlier about someone who posted a picture of a baby with an unlit cigarette in its mouth on you tube. Social services tracked them down, and the picture was removed from you tube by the authorities. The guy makes some reasonable arguements. Basically it boils down to parents controlling their kids where ever they may be. You're not really against kids in bars (IMO), you're against loud and uncontrolled kids period. So am I.

we take our children into the Legion quite often to eat, fortunately our Legion has a separate dining area. We also keep our children under control ! We do not allow our children into the bar area, it is smokey and quite frankly I would just rather they not go in there. However like you, I have seen children in there and babies too, but what can you do? As long as they are out of there by 9 pm they are allowed it just goes to show the judgement of the parents.
    One thing our Legion did do to motivate kids to stay in the dining room is install a Wii at one end. This was done because they cant tell kids " you can't be in the bar" so maybe this will keep them in the dining room willingly.
    We, your American Legion Riders, ride for God and country, the American Legion Family and Allied Veterans everywhere. Protect those who protect us. Amen.