Thread: Some History Of Pleasant Lake

Default Some History Of Pleasant Lake

I was told that Pleasant Lake had a good start as a prosperous town until I-69 was built. I was told that a ferry used to operate on the lake.

Main Street in Pleasant Lake is pictured here on a printed postcard circa 1900 to 1910.
    Last edited by RaceFan; 04-01-2010 at 11:42 PM.

Default Re: Some History Of Pleasant Lake

In the summer of 1966 I operated the Ice Cube drive-in restaurant, located on the main highway and just north of the truck stop. I think I may have been the last one to operate it, not sure. In any event we did a nice business until Labor Day and then it went way down.
    At the time Pleasant Lake had a thriving truck stop, another gas station or two, a grocery store in the main part of town and a hardware.
    Looking back it may have been a mistake to stop Howard Bice from building the race track in Pleasant Lake because that would have brought a lot of drivers and fans into town to spend money.

Default Re: Some History Of Pleasant Lake

That's what happens when some people get their way, because they can't see the big picture. There were some people who complained about the noise and the dust for a few hours on the weekend. Van Smith helped build that track. From what I have been told it was only open approx three weeks.