Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

Thread: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,902

    Default Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    I heard from a reliable source that Auburn is getting a Meijer store across from Van's Furniture Store. Has anyone else heard this?
    I for one am happy to hear it because now I won't have to give Walmart all of my money.

  2. Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    Just what we need, another store on the West end. Oh well, the Garrett folks will be happy. I'm not a big Meijer fan anyway.
    "You don't have to agree with me, it's ok for you to be wrong." A.R.Rogance

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Angola,IN
    Posts
    1,529

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Slotz View Post
    I heard from a reliable source that Auburn is getting a Meijer store across from Van's Furniture Store. Has anyone else heard this?
    I for one am happy to hear it because now I won't have to give Walmart all of my money.


    I happily shop at Meijer, and pay more, to avoid giving Wal-Mart my money.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Auburn
    Posts
    1,033

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Slotz View Post
    I heard from a reliable source that Auburn is getting a Meijer store across from Van's Furniture Store. Has anyone else heard this?
    I for one am happy to hear it because now I won't have to give Walmart all of my money.
    I would be thrilled! I'm not sure that it's true - I hear rumors like that all time that haven't proven to be true - but if it is, I'll be there!
    She who is called "Queen of the Fence" wishes you a pleasant day!

    May the Force be with you!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,902

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    Quote Originally Posted by hairypumper View Post
    Just what we need, another store on the West end. Oh well, the Garrett folks will be happy. I'm not a big Meijer fan anyway.
    Meijer has a nicer selection of shoes.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Angola,IN
    Posts
    1,529

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Slotz View Post
    Meijer has a nicer selection of shoes.
    Meijer also has a better selection of groceries and their merchandise tends to be better quality in general- shoes included.

  7. #7
    Tournaments Won: 1

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Auburn, IN
    Posts
    2,915

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    That's great if true, but then again I've heard the same thing about Target coming to Auburn so I won't be holding my breath.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Angola,IN
    Posts
    1,529

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    Quote Originally Posted by matt_s View Post
    That's great if true, but then again I've heard the same thing about Target coming to Auburn so I won't be holding my breath.
    There seemsto be an abundance of these "chain store/ restaurant" coming to town rumors. Doesn't seem like a lot of them end up becoming fact.

    It seems like, with Meijers in Coldwater, Angola and on Lima Road, Auburn might be overkill, but then again WalMarts seem to exist every 4.5 miles apart nationwide so, who knows?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    1,161

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    Quote Originally Posted by hideaway70 View Post
    It seems like, with Meijers in Coldwater, Angola and on Lima Road, Auburn might be overkill, but then again WalMarts seem to exist every 4.5 miles apart nationwide so, who knows?
    Considering Auburn is larger than both Coldwater and Angola, I don't think it's too much of a stretch for them to consider Auburn.

    Also supporting this rumor: The Auburn Wal-Mart is in the middle of a remodel. The last time there was Meijer talks of coming to Auburn, Wal-Mart built the current Super Center.

    I tend to think that the timing of the Wal-Mart remodel is proof of the validity of these rumors. But the remodel could also delay (or prevent) Meijer from coming, too.

    And then there is the news that Aretha Franklin (I think) stopped by the Auburn Wal-Mart--and the only way KPC found out was that Wal-Mart called them up. Free press, free publicity.

    Coincidences?
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on the article of the Constitution which grants a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."
    --James Madison

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,902

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nathandiehl View Post
    Considering Auburn is larger than both Coldwater and Angola, I don't think it's too much of a stretch for them to consider Auburn.

    Also supporting this rumor: The Auburn Wal-Mart is in the middle of a remodel. The last time there was Meijer talks of coming to Auburn, Wal-Mart built the current Super Center.

    I tend to think that the timing of the Wal-Mart remodel is proof of the validity of these rumors. But the remodel could also delay (or prevent) Meijer from coming, too.

    And then there is the news that Aretha Franklin (I think) stopped by the Auburn Wal-Mart--and the only way KPC found out was that Wal-Mart called them up. Free press, free publicity.

    Coincidences?
    Well said.
    We were just discussing the same thing here at work. The remodel is certainly a "clue" that makes truth to the rumor. We are going to the Legion tonight so Mr. Slotz can vote for commander and I will see if the person we heard this from has anymore news and will share it.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Angola,IN
    Posts
    1,529

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nathandiehl View Post
    Considering Auburn is larger than both Coldwater and Angola, I don't think it's too much of a stretch for them to consider Auburn.
    I don't think the size of the town is the issue as much as the distance between stores, at least in my opinion. I honestly don't know what criteria they use in determining locations.... Also, not to be a poophead, but Coldwater is actually a little larger than Auburn (12,697 vs 12,074)


    Quote Originally Posted by nathandiehl View Post
    And then there is the news that Aretha Franklin (I think) stopped by the Auburn Wal-Mart--and the only way KPC found out was that Wal-Mart called them up. Free press, free publicity.

    Coincidences?
    Also, thinking out loud here- I wonder what Aretha bought? I would almost bet it was something from the Little Debbie line or possibly some sort of cheese product- probably aerosol. At least that's what I'd buy if I were a diva. And also maybe some olives.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dekalb County
    Posts
    6,809

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    Recently I had read that ALL the local Wal-Marts were getting a make over with new floor plans. Honestly it frustrated me (temporarily). Change in where things are kept makes me spend more time searching for what I normally purchase. I'm sure I'll adjust in time.

    I do doubt the new floor plan at Wal-Mart is connected to whether a Meijer's is coming to the area or not. It would be great to see a Meijers join our Auburn community. Sure wish they would select an east side location.

    Keep us posted if you hear any updates on this Mrs. Slotz.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,902

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    Quote Originally Posted by hideaway70 View Post
    I don't think the size of the town is the issue as much as the distance between stores, at least in my opinion. I honestly don't know what criteria they use in determining locations.... Also, not to be a poophead, but Coldwater is actually a little larger than Auburn (12,697 vs 12,074)





    Also, thinking out loud here- I wonder what Aretha bought? I would almost bet it was something from the Little Debbie line or possibly some sort of cheese product- probably aerosol. At least that's what I'd buy if I were a diva. And also maybe some olives.
    I thought I read that she spent like 1200 bucks or something like that.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Angola,IN
    Posts
    1,529

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Slotz View Post
    I thought I read that she spent like 1200 bucks or something like that.
    Wow, that's a lot of Swiss Cake Rolls

    Bet she got the Queen Olives and not those chintzy little manzanillas. Those are for commoners.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kendallville
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    wasn't the original thought that a Meijer would be going in the plaza that houses the Home Depot and the theatre?

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    1,161

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    Quote Originally Posted by hideaway70 View Post
    I don't think the size of the town is the issue as much as the distance between stores, at least in my opinion. I honestly don't know what criteria they use in determining locations.... Also, not to be a poophead, but Coldwater is actually a little larger than Auburn (12,697 vs 12,074)


    Also, thinking out loud here- I wonder what Aretha bought? I would almost bet it was something from the Little Debbie line or possibly some sort of cheese product- probably aerosol. At least that's what I'd buy if I were a diva. And also maybe some olives.
    I had heard the current population of Coldwater was around 10K, down since the 2000 census. Good old Michigan economy... But as of the 2000 census, you are certainly correct.

    If memory serves, the newspaper article I read said she bought clothes and other stuff, $1,200 in about 12 minutes. What a shopping spree!
    But of note, it certainly sounded like Wal-Mart wanted the free press when I read that article. My impression when I read that--especially the one-liner at the end about the current remodel, was that Wal-Mart was trying to get a shameless free press plug. And I think it worked...
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on the article of the Constitution which grants a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."
    --James Madison

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Noble County
    Posts
    1,924

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    We stared shopping at Meijer a couple of months ago. Yes, it is a bit more expensive, but when you get better quality and choices of EVERYTHING, it's worth the drive to Ft Wayne. I just love their produce area and their wine selection is huge...definitely a plus.
    ~You reap what you sow~

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dekalb County
    Posts
    6,809

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    I found the archived article in the JG regarding the remodel schedule for local Wal-Marts. It is the Auburn, Coldwater Road in FW, and the Kendallville stores scheduled for changes. I didn't get the impression that this is being done for any reason other than improving these particular sites?

    1.) Journal Gazette, The (Fort Wayne, IN) - August 29, 2009 - Business

    3 area Walmarts to get facelift
    Author: Sherry Slater The Journal Gazette
    Word Count: 472


    Three northeast Indiana Walmart stores are slated for remodeling next year at a cost of $2 million to $5 million each, The Journal Gazette has learned.

    Auburn's store remake is expected to begin in April. Fort Wayne's Coldwater Road store will follow in July. And the Kendallville store's makeover is set for August or September.

    The projects, which take two to three months to complete, will each create 60 to 80 temporary jobs, district manager

    Last edited by HoosierHelen; 05-11-2010 at 06:47 AM.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dekalb County
    Posts
    6,809

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nathandiehl View Post
    I had heard the current population of Coldwater was around 10K, down since the 2000 census. Good old Michigan economy... But as of the 2000 census, you are certainly correct.

    If memory serves, the newspaper article I read said she bought clothes and other stuff, $1,200 in about 12 minutes. What a shopping spree!
    But of note, it certainly sounded like Wal-Mart wanted the free press when I read that article. My impression when I read that--especially the one-liner at the end about the current remodel, was that Wal-Mart was trying to get a shameless free press plug. And I think it worked...
    I just didn't read the articles as a shamelss free press plug from Wal-Mart? I read it as a local interest story. Not often we find a celebrity of Aretha's fame shopping in our small community.

    When Aretha Franklin is in your checkout lane, you’d better show some “r-e-s-p-e-c-t.”

    Management at the Walmart in Auburn said the Queen of Soul and her entourage apparently made a stop there this week to restock their tour bus parked outside. The soul icon was on her way home to Detroit from a concert in Birmingham, Ala.

    Workers at the retailer spotted the R&B singer strolling the aisles buying food, clothing, plants and other items.

    “I wasn’t aware of it until after she left,” said Chad Hinshaw, store manager. Store staff said Franklin visited the retailer about 1 p.m. Tuesday. Staff said she spent about $1,000 in an hour of shopping.


    http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...89958/1031/BIZ
    Last edited by HoosierHelen; 05-11-2010 at 09:05 AM.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Angola,IN
    Posts
    1,529

    Default Re: Meijer Coming to Auburn!!

    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    I found the archived article in the JG regarding the remodel schedule for local Wal-Marts. It is the Auburn, Coldwater Road in FW, and the Kendallville stores scheduled for changes. I didn't get the impression that this is being done for any reason other than improving these particular sites?

    1.) Journal Gazette, The (Fort Wayne, IN) - August 29, 2009 - Business

    3 area Walmarts to get facelift
    Author: Sherry Slater The Journal Gazette
    Word Count: 472


    Three northeast Indiana Walmart stores are slated for remodeling next year at a cost of $2 million to $5 million each, The Journal Gazette has learned.

    Auburn's store remake is expected to begin in April. Fort Wayne's Coldwater Road store will follow in July. And the Kendallville store's makeover is set for August or September.

    The projects, which take two to three months to complete, will each create 60 to 80 temporary jobs, district manager

    Isn't the Kendallville Walmart pretty stinkin' new? Seems like a waste of money to me. With the money they are spending, they could afford to pay the children in Bangladesh making Faded Glory jeans 10 cents per day instead of 5.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •