View Poll Results: Shrimp and Oyster safe for consumption in the Gulf?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am continuing to eat shrimp & oyster from the Gulf until Government says not safe.

1 11.11%
  • No way will I eat either shrimp or oyster from the Gulf as of now.

1 11.11%
  • I will no longer eat any shrimp or oyster from the Gulf or from Asian countries.

3 33.33%
  • Not planning on changing any of my eating habits for shrimp or oysters at all.

4 44.44%

Thread: Safe to eat - Shrimp, Oysters from the Gulf today?

Default Safe to eat - Shrimp, Oysters from the Gulf today?

Frankly, I was surprised at reports of continued safety for consuming the shrimp and/or oysters in the Gulf of Mexico for the time being. I was also VERY surprised to read that 90% of the shrimp we consume in the US come from oriental countries where their waters exceed polution safety levels in the US. Personally, I'm rapidly loosing my appetite for shrimp (never been an oyster person).

Gulf Coast Shrimp safety report:
    A few months back, Cactus, one of my favorite local burrito places, announced that from now on, it would begin serving sustainably caught shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico. I was impressed that this scrappy little taqueria had resisted the temptation of ridiculously cheap imported shrimp: 90 percent of all shrimp consumed in the US comes from notoriously ecologically disastrous farms in Asia. (Red Lobster Festival of Shrimp, I'm looking at you.) But last week I noticed a new sign up: Cactus' shrimp supplier was reassuring customers that the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico hadn't affected the shrimp, that so far they were perfectly safe to eat. I was skeptical: Oil is nasty stuff. Which got me wondering: For the time being, wouldn't it be safer to stay away from Gulf shrimp, at least until the spill is under control?
    Not yet, says Micahel Massimi, a scientist at Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program. "So far, we’re looking at fairly significant fishing closures but still plenty of coastal estuary and good shrimping to the west of the spill." Right now, only 23 percent of the Gulf shrimping waters are closed because of the spill. That could change with winds or currents, but the Louisiana Department of Fish and Wildlife (LDFW) has announced the spring shrimp season will officially start today in most open areas, and at the end of the month in others. (It's too early to say yet how the oil spill will affect the second shrimp season, which typically lasts from August through December.)
    But oil moves, and so do shrimp. So is there any chance that oil-contaminated shrimp could make it to your local fishmonger (or my taqueria)? It's extremely unlikely, since all US seafood is subject to fairly rigorous inspections by food scientists before it can be sold. Martin Reed is the founder of the online sustainable seafood supplier I Love Blue Sea. "Most people who eat shrimp—they don't know it's coming from a farm abroad where they pump them full of antibiotics," says Reed. "I'd be much more worried about that than eating anything out of the Gulf." (More on imported farmed shrimp below.)
    http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2...rmed-oil-spill

Gulf Coast Oyster safety report:
    Good news for oyster eaters—sort of. Oil from the Deepwater Horizon spill hasn't hit Lousiana's oyster reefs yet, but according to the National Ocean Service and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, it could within days. Yesterday I talked with Thomas Soniat, a professor and researcher at the University of New Orleans' Department of Biological Sciences, and he told me that, yes, oysters will take up oil as the slick comes through, so you wouldn't want to eat oysters harvested around that time—they'd even taste like oil.
    But: "Oysters are very good at cleansing themselves. They're very resilient." The process, if you want to impress your friends with the fancy name, is called depuration, and self-cleansing oyster tissue means that they're safe—and delicious—to eat again just two weeks after their exposure to oil ends. (They also filter the water around them; one design firm has suggested cultivating oyster villages in Brooklyn's Gowanus Canal to help clean up the Superfund site.) The only thing they can't cleanse is the bad post-spill PR. "The public-perception problem persists much longer than the true problem," Soniat says, "and expands over a much broader geographical area."

http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2...s-BP-louisiana
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Default Re: Safe to eat - Shrimp, Oysters from the Gulf today?

I like mine rolled and broiled in a lightly seasoned mercury/asbestos batter.
    For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it. - Patrick Henry

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

“Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sautee it. There's, um, shrimp kebabs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich... That's, that's about it.”

Bubba Blue

Quote Originally Posted by hideaway70 View Post
    “Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sautee it. There's, um, shrimp kebabs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich... That's, that's about it.”

Bubba Blue
    and peel and eat.
    I have never cared for shrimp but I sure know many people who could live on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Slotz View Post
    and peel and eat.
    I have never cared for shrimp but I sure know many people who could live on it.
    I also like to take some shrimps and put them in my Pampered Chef Grill Basket- magnifique

Quote Originally Posted by hideaway70 View Post
    I also like to take some shrimps and put them in my Pampered Chef Grill Basket- magnifique
    Mr. Slotz likes to put them on a skewer and smoke them on the smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Slotz View Post
    Mr. Slotz likes to put them on a skewer and smoke them on the smoker.
    I contend that Mr. Slot is a good man then.