View Poll Results: Are you happy to see golf carts back in golf cart friendly communities?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 50.00%
  • No

6 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf Cart Friendly Communities

Default Golf Cart Friendly Communities

Warm weather is here again and it's time to get the Golf Carts out. Are you happy to see the Golf Carts appear on the roads in Golf Cart Friendly Communities?

Default Re: Golf Cart Friendly Communities

That is a good question 2cents. I live in the Spencerville area and as I read your start of this thread, I realized...I don't know if we are defined as golf cart friendly community or not?

We only have one neighbor who has a golf cart and travels the neighborhood in the summer. We always welcome him when he drives into our backyard and visits for a bit. I must say he is a responsible driver while on his cart, if he were not I'm sure my opinion on the topic would be quite different. Does anyone know if there are designated spots where golf carts may be driven or not in DeKalb county?
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

My understanding is that any town can become a golf cart friendly community. They require registration, proof of insurance, and the vehicle has to meet legal requirements. They are not allowed on state roads and highways. Here is a link from Clear Lake that explains the rules and regulations. http://www.townofclearlake.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
    Are you happy to see the Golf Carts appear on the roads in Golf Cart Friendly Communities?
    Am I happy to see slow moving vehicles on the road?

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusBeebe View Post
    Am I happy to see slow moving vehicles on the road?

Nope.
    2cents says they are not allowed on State roads or highways....maybe side roads should be used at a slower pace LB?

I can see where the carts could be a problem if being used by children or drivers with too many 6 packs under the seat...but those are illegal violations for all vehicle drivers.
    Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    2cents says they are not allowed on State roads or highways....maybe side roads should be used at a slower pace LB?

I can see where the carts could be a problem if being used by children or drivers with too many 6 packs under the seat...but those are illegal violations for all vehicle drivers.
    I'm not talking about legality. I don't like non-cars on the roads. Whether its a golf cart or that biker who cut me off at the Waterloo exit on friday. That goes for horse and buggie too.

Its not something that angers me or even gets me slightly worked up. The thread asked if I like golf carts on the road. I don't. They make me nervous.

7. Default Re: Golf Cart Friendly Communities

I'm not talking about legality. I don't like non-cars on the roads. Whether its a golf cart or that biker who cut me off at the Waterloo exit on friday. That goes for horse and buggie too.

Its not something that angers me or even gets me slightly worked up. The thread asked if I like golf carts on the road. I don't. They make me nervous.
    I'm with you on this LB. (For what it's worth) Sure, they have a "right" to be there, but it is a safety issue. Speed limits need to reflect the type of traffic using the road or street. I know bicyclists aren't going to agree, but does it really matter whose fault the accident is if you're dead?
    "You don't have to agree with me, it's ok for you to be wrong." A.R.Rogance

Horse and buggies cause me concern on the road also. Especially after dark.

Because of my difficulty of seeing when the sun goes down, I don't drive unless absolutely necessary and then it is very limited. We cannot eliminate horse and buggies or motorcycles...so why should we be able to eliminate the golf carts?
    Hans Christian Anderson

Because of my difficulty of seeing when the sun goes down, I don't drive unless absolutely necessary and then it is very limited. We cannot eliminate horse and buggies or motorcycles...so why should we be able to eliminate the golf carts?
    No one is talking about eliminating golf carts. I just said I don't like them on the road because they make me nervous.

10. Default Re: Golf Cart Friendly Communities

We can't. Heck, some of the cars on the road today aren't much larger than golf carts. We all have to tolerate things we don't like, darn it.
    "You don't have to agree with me, it's ok for you to be wrong." A.R.Rogance

No one is talking about eliminating golf carts. I just said I don't like them on the road because they make me nervous.
    I understand your feelings about the carts LB. The horse & buggies make me nervous also. We do encounter horse & buggies on our state roads, I don't think the interstate highways have any on them. Oh well...it is all a part of being a citizen in our nation. We gotta deal with our differences.
    Hans Christian Anderson

12. Default Re: Golf Cart Friendly Communities

I'm trying to understand why a legal vehicle on the road would make you nervous. Could you explain?
    Last edited by armyda; 05-16-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Forgot the question

Quote Originally Posted by armyda View Post
    I'm trying to understand why a legal vehicle on the road would make you nervous. Could you explain?
    Because accidents happen and when the vehicle is fragile that accident can be quite nasty.

My buddy's father hit a deer on a motorcycle. I'm happy he didn't get seriously injured, which was very possible. I see amish driving their buggies on 20 with semi trucks blasting by at 60 mph. How do you think they would fair in a collision?

It has nothing to do with legality. Sky diving is legal, but makes some people nervous.

Now if you want to talk about legality and personal opinion, I don't like slow vehicles on one lane roads. I don't like being stuck behind a bike rider going 15mph on a hilly road. I don't like being stuck behind a buggy that won't pull over. And I really friggin' lose my ****** when pedestrians won't get off the road. The road is a dangerous place, and there are a lot of people who don't realize it.

Post script:
    I've always wanted a motor cycle. Always. I don't get one, though, because I know some jackass will cause an accident. People don't pay attention, they don't care, or they don't know... everything from turn signal use to simple poor judgment. There are awful drivers out there, and I don't trust them enough to get on a bike.

14. Default Re: Golf Cart Friendly Communities

Because accidents happen and when the vehicle is fragile that accident can be quite nasty.

My buddy's father hit a deer on a motorcycle. I'm happy he didn't get seriously injured, which was very possible. I see amish driving their buggies on 20 with semi trucks blasting by at 60 mph. How do you think they would fair in a collision?

It has nothing to do with legality. Sky diving is legal, but makes some people nervous.

Now if you want to talk about legality and personal opinion, I don't like slow vehicles on one lane roads. I don't like being stuck behind a bike rider going 15mph on a hilly road. I don't like being stuck behind a buggy that won't pull over. And I really friggin' lose my ****** when pedestrians won't get off the road. The road is a dangerous place, and there are a lot of people who don't realize it.

Post script:
    I've always wanted a motor cycle. Always. I don't get one, though, because I know some jackass will cause an accident. People don't pay attention, they don't care, or they don't know... everything from turn signal use to simple poor judgment. There are awful drivers out there, and I don't trust them enough to get on a bike.
    Sound like those who should be nervous are the ones are those of us who ride bicycles, the Amish and pedestrians. That is if we are on the same road as you.

The danger out on those roads isn't us. It is those that have the same attitude of self importance that you just showed in your post.

Sound like those who should be nervous are the ones are those of us who ride bicycles, the Amish and pedestrians. That is if we are on the same road as you.

The danger out on those roads isn't us. It is those that have the same attitude of self importance that you just showed in your post.
    Self importance? I'm not the one that thinks he has a right to just la-dee-da walk anywhere on the road I please, or hold up traffic doing whatever I please.

A car needs to stay on the road. A pedestrian can walk on the grass for 5 seconds while a car passes. The self important one is the pedestrian that refuses to get off the road.

And I know the danger on the road isn't "you"... that's my whole point. The danger is the people who aren't paying attention in their cars.

I don't know why you're picking a fight here. I'm not saying anything controversial. Unless, I guess, you believe you have a right to do whatever you like on the road. If that's the case, what can I say? You're wrong. And that attitude shows more self importance than anything that I have said.

16. Default Re: Golf Cart Friendly Communities

IC 9-21-17-14
    Sidewalk or shoulder unavailable; use of outside edge of roadway
    Sec. 14. If neither a sidewalk nor a shoulder is available, a pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall walk as near as practicable to an outside edge of the roadway. If the roadway is two-way, the pedestrian shall walk only on the left side of the roadway.

Self importance? I'm not the one that thinks he has a right to just la-dee-da walk anywhere on the road I please, or hold up traffic doing whatever I please.

A car needs to stay on the road. A pedestrian can walk on the grass for 5 seconds while a car passes. The self important one is the pedestrian that refuses to get off the road.

And I know the danger on the road isn't \\"you\\"... that's my whole point. The danger is the people who aren't paying attention in their cars.

I don't know why you're picking a fight here. I'm not saying anything controversial. Unless, I guess, you believe you have a right to do whatever you like on the road. If that's the case, what can I say? You're wrong. And that attitude shows more self importance than anything that I have said.
    Where did I say that anyone had the right to do anything they wanted to on the road. A pedestrian, a horse and buggy, a bicyclist all have the same right to be on the road that you do in a car. A car can slow down and pass when it is safe to do so.

And I'm not the one who stated:
    And I really friggin' lose my ****** when pedestrians won't get off the road.
    Statements like that make me nervous.

Where did I say that anyone had the right to do anything they wanted to on the road. A pedestrian, a horse and buggy, a bicyclist all have the same right to be on the road that you do in a car. A car can slow down and pass when it is safe to do so.
    No. No they do not. You go ahead, tomorrow, just walk down the middle of North Wayne and see how much of a right you have to the road.

Listen to yourself... "a car can slow down and pass when it is safe", blah blah blah. You're twisting it around. The person going slow is the one effecting change in the equation, not the normally flowing traffic. The entity effecting change is the one being selfish. It is selfish to demand that traffic behind you behave according to your whims, instead of simply getting off the road.

By the way, I don't have a right to be on the road. No one does. It is a privelege. Its not my road. Its not your road.

Again, though, I don't know why you're taking the side you are. I am bothered when I see the neighbor kids going down the road in their low profile motorized buggy. It is a hilly road that people usually speed on. I'm afraid something is going to happen to them. The same with pedestrians. People are inattentive bad drivers, that is why there are accidents. But with a little common sense, like walking on the grass when a car passes, awful things don't have to happen.

Sorry you don't feel the same way.*

Statements like that make me nervous.
    I get mad, doesn't mean I do anything about it.

*do you tell your kids, "you don't have to look both ways before crossing, you have every right to be on this road as the cars do"?

So, 2Cents, I bet ya didn't see that question sparking an argument did ya?
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” –George Carlin

My buddy's father hit a deer on a motorcycle.
    LB, only because I know the man's ok and because I know you have a sense of humor I will take the obvious low road here. How did the deer operate the clutch?
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” –George Carlin

Tournaments Won: 1

I've had pedestrians blindly walk out in front of me. I've seen cyclists not heed traffic signals and signs. I've seen automobile drivers driving with a knee while talking on the phone and eating. We all share the roadways and there are idiots and numskulls in all groups.

I don't really have a problem with sharing the roads with other travelers. But it requires all parties being aware of the other parties and be aware of their surroundings.