Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Amish Produce Stand

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Angola,IN.
    Posts
    1,097

    Default Amish Produce Stand

    When we go to Edgerton, Ohio we take 800 E (from State Hwy 20) which goes South through Metz,IN. and goes to State Route 427. Well a couple of miles South of Metz is an Amish Produce stand that we have been stopping at. They have Broccoli,Cabbage, Cauliflower,Green Beans, Cucumbers, Onions, and Tomatoes(When they are ready) and they go right out and pick it fresh. For a $1 for a head(And these are large heads) or a $1 a pound for fresh green beans it is great.
    So we have been eating more healthy lately.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dekalb County
    Posts
    6,778

    Default Re: Amish Produce Stand

    Quote Originally Posted by RaceFan View Post
    When we go to Edgerton, Ohio we take 800 E (from State Hwy 20) which goes South through Metz,IN. and goes to State Route 427. Well a couple of miles South of Metz is an Amish Produce stand that we have been stopping at. They have Broccoli,Cabbage, Cauliflower,Green Beans, Cucumbers, Onions, and Tomatoes(When they are ready) and they go right out and pick it fresh. For a $1 for a head(And these are large heads) or a $1 a pound for fresh green beans it is great.
    So we have been eating more healthy lately.
    What vegetables do they have that can be picked already Racefan?
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Angola,IN.
    Posts
    1,097

    Default Re: Amish Produce Stand

    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    What vegetables do they have that can be picked already Racefan?
    Everything I mentioned except for the tomatoes. Oh ya they also have squash ready.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dekalb County
    Posts
    6,778

    Default Re: Amish Produce Stand

    They must have started their plants in hot houses to have them already producing. That is great.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Angola,IN.
    Posts
    1,097

    Default Re: Amish Produce Stand

    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    They must have started their plants in hot houses to have them already producing. That is great.
    I don't know the answer to that, but the garden is right next to the house and I watched her go into it and pick the items I told her I wanted to buy.

  6. #6
    Torget Guest

    Default Re: Amish Produce Stand

    Don't forget that there are also Amish who sell at Angola's farmers market on Saturday mornings too. Typically, everything was picked that morning.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dekalb County
    Posts
    6,778

    Default Re: Amish Produce Stand

    Quote Originally Posted by RaceFan View Post
    I don't know the answer to that, but the garden is right next to the house and I watched her go into it and pick the items I told her I wanted to buy.
    I believe you RaceFan -- just saying this is way early for green beans in my neighborhood. Their veggies must have gotten a head start?
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Angola,IN.
    Posts
    1,097

    Default Re: Amish Produce Stand

    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    I believe you RaceFan -- just saying this is way early for green beans in my neighborhood. Their veggies must have gotten a head start?
    Probably all that good horse manure! All I know is that the veggie's are very good and lower priced then at the supermarket. And I don't think they spray chemicals on them.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The SouthLeft Coast
    Posts
    1,194

    Default Re: Amish Produce Stand

    Maybe it's that Alvarado microclimate.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    321

    Default Re: Amish Produce Stand

    Quote Originally Posted by RaceFan View Post
    When we go to Edgerton, Ohio we take 800 E (from State Hwy 20) which goes South through Metz,IN. and goes to State Route 427. Well a couple of miles South of Metz is an Amish Produce stand that we have been stopping at. They have Broccoli,Cabbage, Cauliflower,Green Beans, Cucumbers, Onions, and Tomatoes(When they are ready) and they go right out and pick it fresh. For a $1 for a head(And these are large heads) or a $1 a pound for fresh green beans it is great.
    So we have been eating more healthy lately.
    Must be a older couple,the younger families usually preserve everthing for their own winter use.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Angola,IN.
    Posts
    1,097

    Default Re: Amish Produce Stand

    Quote Originally Posted by john40 View Post
    Must be a older couple,the younger families usually preserve everthing for their own winter use.
    It is a young couple. They seem to do a good business. They have been in business for some time.
    Last edited by RaceFan; 06-21-2010 at 05:26 AM.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Angola,IN.
    Posts
    1,097

    Default Re: Amish Produce Stand

    I'd be interested to know if anyone who read my post has visited this Produce stand since I posted about it. I'd like your take on it good or bad.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Angola,IN.
    Posts
    1,097

    Default Re: Amish Produce Stand

    I stopped by there tonight to get some produce and since I posted about them they have been bombarded with people and are now just about out of their early stuff. But later down the road they will have lots of stuff ready again.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •