Thread: Columbia City Speedway

Default Columbia City Speedway

The Northeastern Indiana Racing Museum in Auburn,IN. has this poster from the former Columbia City,IN. Speedway which I'm told operated back in the 1950's. We however don't have any photo's from this track. If you have any family members that once raced there and have some photo's I could scan them and give you back the originals. I can be contacted at ksplace1@frontier.com or 260-316-0966.

Default Re: Columbia City Speedway

If you know the history of this track please tell all of us. The only thing I know is that it was on the property of Howard Rex in the 50's and it was only in operation for approx. three years. Howard Rex was also the car owner for racer Jack Reilly.

Kevin, i was just looking at some of your pictures on facebook and seen the poster from the old columbia city speedway you have in the museum.I have quite a few newspaper clippings on the race results pretty much from the time the track was in operation.I even have come up with some video footage of racing back there.The track was actually owned by my grandpaw Charles Rex and not my dad Howard.I own the property now and were working on getting the track cleared back off and get some old retired race cars and doing some racing back there again.
    Tony Rex

I was at this track once, a long, long time ago and I was very, very young! Here is what I remember, seems like you went back off the road a ways and perhaps a woods? Anyway what I know for sure is this-it was late in the season and it very cold! So cold that some men had started a fire in a trash barrell at the end of the bleachers and were burning rotten bleacher boards to keep warm! In all my years attending race tracks it is the one and only time I have ever seen this!

Was the CC speedway north of town off of SR 109? I remember a midget track at Tri Lakes first over near the Girl Scout camp, then it was moved to the north along the old Rt 102. I think they were called micro midgets. I don't remember how long it was there or any details just remember watching them.

The track I went to was definately north of Columbia City but can't say what road. The track raced from 1950-53 according to the history book.

T
    Quote Originally Posted by MERLE1 View Post
    The track I went to was definately north of Columbia City but can't say what road. The track raced from 1950-53 according to the history book.
    Thanks Merle I can't remember any more either.

The history book says it was called Lakeview Speedway so it may well have been the same track you saw! It does seem like the track was surrounded by woods.
    I was only there once. I am tempted to say Hoot Gibson ran it when I was there.

MERLE1
    Since you brought up Hoot Gibson, I have to ask did you ever go to the Warsaw Speedway?

Oh yes I was at the Warsaw Speedway many times.
    It sure was unique because you sat in the grand stands and could see the lake! Really neat place!