Thread: Perfect Day for Hunting

Default Perfect Day for Hunting

Just got back from a long walk with the dog. It seems to be a perfect day for hunting around here.

I heard many shots from different areas along the St. Joe river and the surroundings trees.

It would be interesting to hear who has been getting what? Down by the cemetary south of town, I've noticed several pickups parked in the fields for some serious long days this past week. They are there at 6:00 am and still there when I come home after 5:00.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Default Re: Perfect Day for Hunting

I had to shoot a skunk earlier this week.
    (I seriously shot a skunk, but I'm just joking around Helen.)
    Hope all the hunters have a good harvest this year. The fewer the merrier.
    Exactly WHEN does an animal achieve varmint status?
    For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it. - Patrick Henry

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

First Re: Perfect Day for Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    Just got back from a long walk with the dog. It seems to be a perfect day for hunting around here.

I heard many shots from different areas along the St. Joe river and the surroundings trees.

It would be interesting to hear who has been getting what? Down by the cemetary south of town, I've noticed several pickups parked in the fields for some serious long days this past week. They are there at 6:00 am and still there when I come home after 5:00.
    My grandson Luke, aged 12, has taken 2 deer so far this year. 1 with a bow, & 1 with a gun.

Grandson Luke must be smiling Joe. I don't know any 12 yr old boy who wouldn't be smiling after those accomplishments.

Douglas...glad you bagged a skunk! Congrats! :-)
    Hans Christian Anderson

I don't hunt, but I sure wish someone would do more hunting in the area of SR 3 south of Avilla. My middle son and his new (pregnant) wife were on their way home on leave from SC at 3:30 Saturday morning and a 6 point buck ran into the road out of nowhere. He hit it and totaled the truck he just bought a few months ago. Not a new truck, but he loved it. Two weeks ago, one of our friends hit a couple of deer in the same area and his Dodge Ram suffered serious damage. Thankfully, nobody was hurt in either accident, but these animals are really becoming too populous. Hunting season should be extended or start earlier so they can be thinned out more.

BTW...I still say I am way too young to be a Grandma, but I am really looking forward to seeing the little guy/girl, who is due next summer.
    ~You reap what you sow~

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Douglas View Post
    Just what I was thinking Oliver, why did you have to shoot a skunk? I kinda like skunks, they pretty much are harmless, tend to dig up the yard looking for grubs, but I can deal with that. Varmints are generally anything that tends to destroy property, or causes destruction by their activity.
    coming to you live from police state "Kville"

Quote Originally Posted by ebbieday View Post
    I don't hunt, but I sure wish someone would do more hunting in the area of SR 3 south of Avilla. My middle son and his new (pregnant) wife were on their way home on leave from SC at 3:30 Saturday morning and a 6 point buck ran into the road out of nowhere. He hit it and totaled the truck he just bought a few months ago. Not a new truck, but he loved it. Two weeks ago, one of our friends hit a couple of deer in the same area and his Dodge Ram suffered serious damage. Thankfully, nobody was hurt in either accident, but these animals are really becoming too populous. Hunting season should be extended or start earlier so they can be thinned out more.

BTW...I still say I am way too young to be a Grandma, but I am really looking forward to seeing the little guy/girl, who is due next summer.
    I sure agree Ebbie...far too many deer out there. Saw a picture of a young girl in our paper recently who had her face all messed up by a deer that ran in front of her families vehicle and came through the window and seriously injured the young girl. The population needs to be seriously thinned in our area for everyone's safety.

It's really encouraging to see how many enthusastic hunters are out there chasing them this weekend. I can see the banks of the St. Joe river from my living room windows. So many orange hats out there, I just smile and send them a silent wish for success. Every deer they take home is one less I'm going to encounter early am driving to work.

I sure would vote for extending our hunting season.
    Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by blue adept View Post
    Just what I was thinking Oliver, why did you have to shoot a skunk? I kinda like skunks, they pretty much are harmless, tend to dig up the yard looking for grubs, but I can deal with that. Varmints are generally anything that tends to destroy property, or causes destruction by their activity.
    Aww, he was eating cat food (which didn't bother me), but one of the cats got after him, and he sprayed on my front porch right in the doorway. All my wife's incoming Ebay stuff was out there, and the whole house smelled like skunk for a few days. I'll tell you, there's skunk smell, and then there's acrid, sulfuric/spent fireworks smelling right in your nose for a week 'skunk'! You can literally TASTE it in the air! I actually felt kind of bad for the little bugger, and agree they're not all that bad of a creature.
    For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it. - Patrick Henry

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

Aww, he was eating cat food (which didn't bother me), but one of the cats got after him, and he sprayed on my front porch right in the doorway. All my wife's incoming Ebay stuff was out there, and the whole house smelled like skunk for a few days. I'll tell you, there's skunk smell, and then there's acrid, sulfuric/spent fireworks smelling right in your nose for a week 'skunk'! You can literally TASTE it in the air! I actually felt kind of bad for the little bugger, and agree they're not all that bad of a creature.
    Those BIG stinkers!!
    Hans Christian Anderson

Back to the subject, I was just at Rural King in Angola (they check deer there). Looks like plenty of hunters are having the good luck!

~ Thomas Jefferson

When you can't pet it or eat it.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” –George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by hideaway70 View Post
    When you can't pet it or eat it.
    Well, to me that would include deer. Tastes like a wet dog smells.
    Then there's the one I got up north in Michigan years ago (speaking of skunks). Apparently their staple diet up there is pine cones.
    I accidentally burned a few venison steaks to a carbonized crisp once. They were okay.

~ Thomas Jefferson

Well, to me that would include deer. Tastes like a wet dog smells.
    Then there's the one I got up north in Michigan years ago (speaking of skunks). Apparently their staple diet up there is pine cones.
    I accidentally burned a few venison steaks to a carbonized crisp once. They were okay.
    Personally, I would even remove the "eat" from my own definition, since I'm not much of a wild game eater. The closest I get to wild game is forming ground beef into patties by hand instead of buying them preformed and frozen. Sometimes it feels good to commune with nature that way.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” –George Carlin

I almost got sprayed once[whew] my wife however got sprayed at close quarters. Her mother used to rehabilitate orphaned animals, and one time it was skunks, and just before they got released, bamm! That was before I knew her of course!
    coming to you live from police state "Kville"