Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: True Grit

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    FREMONT AREA
    Posts
    71

    Default True Grit

    Great Music...Speaking of entertainment, I just went last night to the movies and saw "True Grit"...WOW..this show will win some OSCARS...Great acting by Beau Bridges. He did another one, "Crazyheart", and won an Oscar last year. Only sad thing is both parts were of alcoholics that he played in the movie. He plays the part of Roster Cogburn, (John Wayne one eyed patch) Keeps you on the edge of your seat. If you like the movies, you'll love this one...full of action...Hope you have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! We need some HAPPY huh? Have a great one...

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Auburn
    Posts
    1,033

    Default Re: True Grit

    Quote Originally Posted by Goodchange View Post
    Great Music...Speaking of entertainment, I just went last night to the movies and saw "True Grit"...WOW..this show will win some OSCARS...Great acting by Beau Bridges. He did another one, "Crazyheart", and won an Oscar last year. Only sad thing is both parts were of alcoholics that he played in the movie. He plays the part of Roster Cogburn, (John Wayne one eyed patch) Keeps you on the edge of your seat. If you like the movies, you'll love this one...full of action...Hope you have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! We need some HAPPY huh? Have a great one...
    I agree - I really enjoyed "True Grit" too, as did my sister, husband and friend who went with me. My review is here.
    She who is called "Queen of the Fence" wishes you a pleasant day!

    May the Force be with you!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    739

    Default Re: True Grit

    Quote Originally Posted by jennyk View Post
    I agree - I really enjoyed "True Grit" too, as did my sister, husband and friend who went with me. My review is here.

    I'll have to see that one! I liked John Wayne's acting so much in that one, that my pet rooster (who runs loose all over the place here, & crows in through the front windows every morning) is named Rooster Gogburn!
    As far as the "alcoholic" part goes, just try remembering that as much as some of us enjoy looking down on them America has always needed her alcoholics! A man named George Rogers Clark once took a big piece of our country away from both the British & the Indians, with nothing more than a band of seriously alcoholic hillbillies! While most of the men who fought in our Revolution were considered as honest & decent men of high moral stamdards, but most also drank enough before breakfast to leave today's drunkards passed out before lunch time!!
    Just about everyone, including you, & including me, needs to take off the rose colored glasses from time to time & take a long hard look at reality.
    BUT, I do intend on watching that movie!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    FREMONT AREA
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: True Grit

    Sorry, I misquoted, it was Jeff Bridges who played the starring role. If you don't have anything to do this New Years Eve, the movie is a best bet. Have a very HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone...Stay warm and stay focused....God bless you all and may God Bless America.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    FREMONT AREA
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: True Grit

    Hey you are talking to the right person. I was married to a full blown alcoholic for many years, until he ate a hole in his stomach and died. It was a very long and painful death, so I am definitely not wearing rose colored glasses, but have seen the results of it. Anyhow, I also just saw, "The Kings Speech"...WOW another winner. Very touching story, with a lot of history in it. Very British, but done exceptionally well. I see Oscars everywhere for both "True Grit" and "The Kings Speech". They are both wonderful movies. I think Hollywood is finally seeing that the people are not stupid and we want good movies without morbid gross killings, and total sex all the time. There is more to life..huh? Hey, hope you enjoy both of these movies. They are TRUE winners.....

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    FREMONT AREA
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: True Grit

    Another winner...."The Kings Speech"....takes awhile to get into, but is very human acting. Great work...

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The SouthLeft Coast
    Posts
    1,194

    Default Re: True Grit

    Quote Originally Posted by Goodchange View Post
    I see Oscars everywhere for both "True Grit" and "The Kings Speech". They are both wonderful movies. I think Hollywood is finally seeing that the people are not stupid and we want good movies without morbid gross killings, and total sex all the time. There is more to life..huh? Hey, hope you enjoy both of these movies. They are TRUE winners.....
    You cite movie by the Coen brothers as an example of something that does not have morbid gross killings? Seems a bit ironic, doesn't it?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Angola,IN
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: True Grit

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigB View Post
    You cite movie by the Coen brothers as an example of something that does not have morbid gross killings? Seems a bit ironic, doesn't it?
    No wood chippers in True Grit? I'm not sure I want to see it now...
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” –George Carlin

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The SouthLeft Coast
    Posts
    1,194

    Default Re: True Grit

    Quote Originally Posted by hideaway70 View Post
    No wood chippers in True Grit? I'm not sure I want to see it now...
    At least none that have a speed setting that goes to 11.

    [Love your avatar!]

  10. #10

    Default Re: True Grit

    Just watched the remake few days back and its really good

  11. #11
    Todd Ianuzzi Guest

    Default Re: True Grit

    I saw the film back in December. As good as the first film was, I believe the remake is a little better. And it took me back to my former home of New Mexico. Some of it was filmed there and I recognized one of the areas in the scenes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •