Thread: Hornet basketball

Default Hornet basketball

Yeah, I know there have been some down years in Angola basketball, but I feel really sorry for those boys this year - they seem incredibly outmatched. I'm starting to wonder if they'll be playing Hamilton to see who finishes the season with no wins.

tdl_auburn Guest

Default Re: Hornet basketball

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigB View Post
    Yeah, I know there have been some down years in Angola basketball, but I feel really sorry for those boys this year - they seem incredibly outmatched. I'm starting to wonder if they'll be playing Hamilton to see who finishes the season with no wins.
    I've seen schools in the past who are State Champions. They win almost every game and then one year they fall to the bottom; losing almost every time. It happened to the football team at my highschool. All of our star athletes graduated. The problem was that he coach would put so much effort into the best players that the others would get neglected. And as the team started losing players to graduation, he was left with all the kids he'd neglected. When this happens, it's usually time for a new coach because they don't know how to build up a team from the bottom.

So I am kind of confused. The coach wins a state championship by only working with the star athletes. The athletes graduate and the team is not as good. Are you saying the coach was so bad that he needed to be replaced with another coach? I would think that if the coach was good enough to develop players into a state championship team, then he is a pretty good coach. Perhaps the next group of players were simply not as good as the original group. You know you have to have good athletes to win. The best coaches still have to have the horses to win. Besides getting rid of a good coach because they don't win immediately is silly. Good athletic programs have continuity with their staffs.

Oh, by the way, would you also be willing to give up the state championship that the school won because they were not as good the next year? I think most people would be very pleased with having won a state championship in any sport, even tiddly-winks.

tdl_auburn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thorman View Post
    So I am kind of confused. The coach wins a state championship by only working with the star athletes. The athletes graduate and the team is not as good. Are you saying the coach was so bad that he needed to be replaced with another coach? I would think that if the coach was good enough to develop players into a state championship team, then he is a pretty good coach. Perhaps the next group of players were simply not as good as the original group. You know you have to have good athletes to win. The best coaches still have to have the horses to win. Besides getting rid of a good coach because they don't win immediately is silly. Good athletic programs have continuity with their staffs.

Oh, by the way, would you also be willing to give up the state championship that the school won because they were not as good the next year? I think most people would be very pleased with having won a state championship in any sport, even tiddly-winks.
    Some athletes are just naturaly gifted in athletics. Most get there from committed practice. If you have decent players, teamwork should help close gaps that result from weaker players. Ultimately, though, it comes down to the coach. If the team needs more practice, then schedule more practice. I just have to wonder what is going on when a team just plain stinks. Sometimes a really good team can still go a season without a win. I don't know the Hornets well enough to make that judgement. But if they're constantly losing and struggling, there may be a moral problem.
    Last edited by tdl_auburn; 12-30-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tdl_auburn View Post
    Some athletes are just naturaly giften in athletics. Most get there from committed practice. If you have decent players, teamwork should help close gaps that result from weaker players. Ultimately, though, it comes down to the coach. If the team needs more practice, then schedule more practice. I just have to wonder what is going on when a team just plain stinks. Sometimes a really good team can still go a season without a win. I don't know the Hornets well enough to make that judgement. But if they're constantly losing and struggling, there may be a moral problem.
    You sure have something to say about everything, don't you?

I was hoping that Ken F. was tuned in, or somebody in Angola that follows the team more closely could comment. I suspect that this team is a lot shorter on talent than most Angola teams of years past, and they obviously are one of the more height challenged teams that they've had, but still - seeing them 0-7 is pretty surprising.

I was hoping that Ken F. was tuned in, or somebody in Angola that follows the team more closely could comment. I suspect that this team is a lot shorter on talent than most Angola teams of years past, and they obviously are one of the more height challenged teams that they've had, but still - seeing them 0-7 is pretty surprising.
    Ken's taking a couple days of vacation. I'll send him a link and maybe he'll be able to respond once he's back.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorman View Post
    I think most people would be very pleased with having won a state championship in any sport, even tiddly-winks.
    We need more coaches like this...

Sorry, your tiddly-winks comment made me think of this sketch...
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” –George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by hideaway70 View Post
    We need more coaches like this...
    ...and fewer like this...

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” –George Carlin

tdl_auburn Guest

You sure have something to say about everything, don't you?
    Don't we all? Lack of first hand knowledge never stopped anyone from having an opinion. A coach, a manager, a ship captain...when stuff hits the fan, it's the responsibility of the guy in charge. Always.

Don't we all? Lack of first hand knowledge never stopped anyone from having an opinion. A coach, a manager, a ship captain...when stuff hits the fan, it's the responsibility of the guy in charge. Always.
    There is something to said for longevity and stability in coaching. As an example, look at the Pittsburgh Steelers. Since 1969 they have had 3 head coaches, and in that time they have won 6 Super Bowls. They do their homework and hire a guy they trust and they let him know he is the guy. The result? They win.

Look at New England and the success they have had as a result of Bill Belichick and his long tenure and stability.

Switching coaches every couple of years doesn't work. If you don't believe me, ask some of my fellow Notre Dame fans.

TheBigB. Angola has good athletes, but their development as basketball players is far behind compared to where they are at in their main sports. If you know the roster, you know the main sports of most of the kids. And we all know teams are built in the offseason. The way things have gone so far gives you a good idea that not much work was done in the offseason. At Angola, with enrollment of around 900, it has no built-in excuses that should allow for this to happen... The Hornets turn the ball over at an alarming rate by their standards and a program that relies on scoring balance only has three guys who can score regularly.... Lakeland and Westview are smaller than Angola and are not very deep, but they can both handle the ball and shoot it well and are basketball brilliant in terms of fundamentals, instinct and basketball IQ.
    Last edited by kenf; 12-30-2010 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenf View Post
    TheBigB. Angola has good athletes, but their development as basketball players is far behind compared to where they are at in their main sports. If you know the roster, you know the main sports of most of the kids. And we all know teams are built in the offseason. The way things have gone so far gives you a good idea that not much work was done in the offseason. At Angola, with enrollment of around 900, it has no built-in excuses that should allow for this to happen... The Hornets turn the ball over at an alarming rate by their standards and a program that relies on scoring balance only has three guys who can score regularly.... Lakeland and Westview are smaller than Angola and are not very deep, but they can both handle the ball and shoot it well and are basketball brilliant in terms of fundamentals, instinct and basketball IQ.
    It's a good point, Ken - it seems that almost all of those guys are known more for proficiency in other sports. Without a few "basketball first" guys to drag everybody else along, I could see that being somewhat of a handicap.

So what do you know of Angola's coach, or recent coaching history?

So far, it appears that was the case, though I'm guessing Angola will eke out another win or two - maybe even three.

And the 2-win season ends with a fizzle - a whopping 63-15 loss to Concordia (it was 43-5 at the half).

The worst season for the Hornet boys in recent history.
    Records for Indiana teams are readily available on the internet nowadays and its the worst record for a Hornet boys basketball team in at least 18 years (previous worst in that time span was nine wins). The 15 point output is also the lowest in 18 years. And by the way, the 15 points is the lowest ANY Indiana team has scored through the first two days of sectionals.
    It is actually just the second Angola varsity boys basketball team with a losing record since 1995.
    Last edited by _fish_; 03-03-2011 at 06:06 PM.