Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are You Ready?

Default Re: Are You Ready?

TRY THIS WHILE THE KIDS ARE HOME TOMMORROW>>>>>>>>>
    Fill a large mixing bowl with clean snow.
    Add a cup of milk, 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract, sugar to taste.
    Stir till blended & the milk's thickened.
    Chocalte or other flavors may be added to taste.
    ENKOY YOUR SNOW DAY!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHooker View Post
    TRY THIS WHILE THE KIDS ARE HOME TOMMORROW>>>>>>>>>
    Fill a large mixing bowl with clean snow.
    Add a cup of milk, 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract, sugar to taste.
    Stir till blended & the milk's thickened.
    Chocalte or other flavors may be added to taste.
    ENKOY YOUR SNOW DAY!!!!!!!!
    I did that a few years ago with my grandkids! They loved it, they couldn't believe you could make *ice cream* out of snow!

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    I just arrived home a few minutes ago from work in FW. I did stop at Kroger on my way home for a few items. They were packed!! Eggs were all sold out except for the organic ones at 3.99 a dozen. Yep...I bought them! The ones in my fridg are past the expiration date and I knew I had to toss them.

My sympathy was with the clerks and store employees...I hope they don't keep the store open regular hours this evening. I'm so thankful to be home. The drive home was very dicey, the drivers did seem to be slowing down and being thoughtful of other traffic. Unless the snow stops soon and a miracle happens with the ice threats, I do not expect to drive to work tomorrow. It's looking like a perfect 'personal day' for tomorrow. :-)

I really have an excellent Boss...he told us today he will leave it up to us if we feel comfortable with the roads in the morning or not. He didn't want any dead heros trying to show up for work.
    Glad you made it home safe and that you have a wonderful boss. So many do not!

Torget Guest

Well, now that it is all said and done with, It wasn't near as bad as I was hoping for. But, I like what we did get.

What irritates me the most, as I read through the closings, is that a lot, if not all, local businesses shut down for this mess, while the national chains didn't. I used to work at the outlet mall in Fremont, and they would not close until their home office said they could. Home office was in TEXAS!!! They would say it's not that bad, but I can guarantee you that if they got a couple inches of snow, they'd call it quits right now.

I remember in the past when there was a level 1 and they were telling people they could be ticketed if they were found out on the roads and it wasn't an emergency and places that didn't close threatened their employees with termination if they didn't show up.

I haven't heard of any such instances this time, but I am sick of the corporate greed that endangers their employee's lives to operate a store for the couple bucks they might make.

5. Default Re: Are You Ready?

So when is the blizzard supposed to hit? Last night was bad, but we've had worse weather that wasn't considered a blizzard. Let's thank the NWS for doing its part to help spur the economy. I realize many places got much worse than we did, especially those that got so much ice. Let's brace for the deep freeze the next few days and hope for an early Spring.
    "You don't have to agree with me, it's ok for you to be wrong." A.R.Rogance

Quote Originally Posted by hairypumper View Post
    So when is the blizzard supposed to hit? Last night was bad, but we've had worse weather that wasn't considered a blizzard. Let's thank the NWS for doing its part to help spur the economy. I realize many places got much worse than we did, especially those that got so much ice. Let's brace for the deep freeze the next few days and hope for an early Spring.
    40 mph winds and visibility less than a 1/8th mile meet conditions for a blizzard. That's what we had in Noble county last night. It has nothing to do with snow amount.

I sure hope everyone's enjoyed their snow day! Sounds like it's back to "life as usual" tomorrow :-(

8. Default Re: Are You Ready?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeel View Post
    40 mph winds and visibility less than a 1/8th mile meet conditions for a blizzard. That's what we had in Noble county last night. It has nothing to do with snow amount.
    Actually, snow was never mentioned in my post. But you are completely welcome to read anything you like into it. Blizzard-like conditions don't necessarily mean we had a blizzard, but if it makes you feel better, call it what you want.

9. Default Re: Are You Ready?

Actually, snow was never mentioned in my post. But you are completely welcome to read anything you like into it. Blizzard-like conditions don't necessarily mean we had a blizzard, but if it makes you feel better, call it what you want.
    Blizzard like conditions are by definition a blizzard: The conditions are what the term means.

Blizzard
    "A blizzard means that the following conditions are expected to prevail for a period of 3 hours or longer:
    * Sustained wind or frequent gusts to 35 miles an hour or greater; and
    * Considerable falling and/or blowing snow (i.e., reducing visibility frequently to less than ¼ mile)"

10. Default Re: Are You Ready?

Quote Originally Posted by armyda View Post
    Blizzard like conditions are by definition a blizzard: The conditions are what the term means.

Blizzard
    "A blizzard means that the following conditions are expected to prevail for a period of 3 hours or longer:
    * Sustained wind or frequent gusts to 35 miles an hour or greater; and
    * Considerable falling and/or blowing snow (i.e., reducing visibility frequently to less than ¼ mile)"
    Great, now everyone will have stories to tell their grandkids about the great blizzard of '11. It was terrible, the entire area was shut down for a whole day! The only people who could get out were those with vehicles! Oh, the horror of it all! I don't know how any of us survived!

Great, now everyone will have stories to tell their grandkids about the great blizzard of '11. It was terrible, the entire area was shut down for a whole day! The only people who could get out were those with vehicles! Oh, the horror of it all! I don't know how any of us survived!
    So, as evidenced by your heavy sarcasm, I assume your definition of a blizzard differs from the one army provided. Would ya mind telling us what a blizzard is, as defined by you? I assume it means massive death and destruction and being stuck in your home for weeks?
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” –George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by hideaway70 View Post
    So, as evidenced by your heavy sarcasm, I assume your definition of a blizzard differs from the one army provided. Would ya mind telling us what a blizzard is, as defined by you? I assume it means massive death and destruction and being stuck in your home for weeks?
    I take it by your sarcasm that Hairy doesn't have the right to decide for himself what a blizzard is. I lived through the "blizzard" of 78, and it wasn't until I got into the alps that I saw what real conditions are like. I believe blizzard can mean a great deal of differing things to people, not just cut and dried explanation of terms.
    coming to you live from police state "Kville"

Quote Originally Posted by blue adept View Post
    I believe blizzard can mean a great deal of differing things to people, not just cut and dried explanation of terms.
    That's an odd stance for you to take considering I remember you getting in some big torturous debate with Lucius about the exact definition of a word. (I think it was "conquer", but I could be wrong on that and I don't have the time to look it up.)

Quote Originally Posted by james_t View Post
    That's an odd stance for you to take considering I remember you getting in some big torturous debate with Lucius about the exact definition of a word. (I think it was "conquer", but I could be wrong on that and I don't have the time to look it up.)
    Actually, it is the same argument. LB was saying that the word conquer only meant to win. According to today's dictionary, he is right. The way I was taught, you had to have a conquest in order to conquer, and you had to literally crush your enemy, not just win. Lb wanted to say that he could conquer at a poker game, and when i said he might be able to conquer the world of poker but not at a single game, he brought out the dictionary and I brought out a college prof friend of mine.Varying shades of gray to be sure, but obviously, everyone's definition of certain words are always in flux. And I appreciate the way you continue to show me the error of my ways James, Maybe you could try that when someone like LB flubs, and he does.
    Last edited by blue adept; 02-03-2011 at 11:50 AM.

come on guys this one is easy. you can.....

a. believe NOAA and the blizzard warring they issued.
    b. believe some guy on an internet forum (looking for an argument) who does not have the qualifications to make such a call.

boy, this is a tough one.
    _________________________________________________. ..............................................I do not support this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by michael medeski View Post
    come on guys this one is easy. you can.....

a. believe NOAA and the blizzard warring they issued.
    b. believe some guy on an internet forum (looking for an argument) who does not have the qualifications to make such a call.

boy, this is a tough one.
    I agree Michael, however a warning does not necessarily mean everyone will get the worst. My sister who lives in Chicago definitely got blizzard conditions, and there were times when I looked outside and saw Blizzard conditions, but there are places that did not. I'm okay to let everyone declare for themselves if it was a blizzard or not.

I agree Michael, however a warning does not necessarily mean everyone will get the worst.
    chicago always gets hit harder from the lake and all the "windy city" wind they get. regardless, when that much snow falls combined with strong wind you get a blizzard. large or small they are both the same thing.

same holds true for tornadoes.
    _________________________________________________. ..............................................I do not support this ad.

I believe blizzard can mean a great deal of differing things to people, not just cut and dried explanation of terms.
    Personally, for me..a Blizzard is a delicious treat from DQ, all the rest are word plays that means something different to every one in their own special way.

Quote Originally Posted by NurseRita View Post
    Personally, for me..a Blizzard is a delicious treat from DQ, all the rest are word plays that means something different to every one in their own special way.
    If I wasn't diabetic, I could go for one.

If I wasn't diabetic, I could go for one.
    I am diabetic..and sometimes one just HAS to be naughty!