Thread: This Honey Smells Funny

Default This Honey Smells Funny

I just love putting Honey in my Hot Tea. I opened a brand new bottle of honey this morning at work and put some in my cup of tea. I started to drink my tea and it had a rank taste to it. I thought it was maybe an old tea bag so I dumped the tea out and got me a fresh cup. Well, the second cup tasted the same. I decided to smell the honey and it had a real rank smell to it. Just wondering, Can honey go bad? I had heard No.

Default Re: This Honey Smells Funny

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Slotz View Post
    I just love putting Honey in my Hot Tea. I opened a brand new bottle of honey this morning at work and put some in my cup of tea. I started to drink my tea and it had a rank taste to it. I thought it was maybe an old tea bag so I dumped the tea out and got me a fresh cup. Well, the second cup tasted the same. I decided to smell the honey and it had a real rank smell to it. Just wondering, Can honey go bad? I had heard No.
    honey won't go bad, so the question begs--where did you get this honey?

Torget Guest

That is correct, honey won't go bad. But, as RPC stated, where did the honey come from? Also, is it Pure honey? I have never heard of flavored honeys going bad either, but if there is anything added to it, it might make a difference depending on what is used to flavor it.

If it is pure honey, with no additives, then I would return it to wherever you bought it from.

The bottle of Honey says, Pure Honey. The color is very dark and has a molasses taste to it. Was bought at a Kroger Store in Fort Wayne.

Torget Guest

Ahhh, I would suspect what you have is Buckwheat honey! And yes, it does taste quite different than regular honey from wildflowers or clover. Buckwheat honey does take some getting used to. Without actually seeing it or tasting it, that would be my guess and I would say that it is probably just fine. But if you have concerns, as you are the one eating it, then use a honey that's lighter in color like a clover honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Torget View Post
    Ahhh, I would suspect what you have is Buckwheat honey! And yes, it does taste quite different than regular honey from wildflowers or clover. Buckwheat honey does take some getting used to. Without actually seeing it or tasting it, that would be my guess and I would say that it is probably just fine. But if you have concerns, as you are the one eating it, then use a honey that's lighter in color like a clover honey.
    Buckwheat honey. Very interesting. We normally get the "honey bear" honey for work and that is what I am used too. After a few weeks, the honey bear honey looks all crystalized.

For me the tastiest honey is alfalfa honey. And I agree, buckwheat honey is an acquired taste.

Torget Guest

If honey crystalizes, it is not bad, all you have to do is heat it up in a microwave just a bit or set the jar/bottle in warm water on the stove top to de-crystalize it.

Does it say on the bottle the type of honey (alfalfa, clover, buckwheat etc.) or do you just have to know what to look for? I have had some "stronger" honey at times that made my tea a little more robust than I care for. Is color the best indicator of strength of flavor?
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” –George Carlin

This is the Honey. Guess they got it at Walmart
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pure-39-N-...32-oz/15525054

Guess they got it at Walmart
    that right there explains everything, ma'am.

This is the Honey. Guess they got it at Walmart
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pure-39-N-...32-oz/15525054
    That stuff looks like molasses. Maybe they actually made it from mole arses?
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” –George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by hideaway70 View Post
    That stuff looks like molasses. Maybe they actually made it from mole arses?
    Yes it does. I am curious. I may buy another bottle to see if it tastes the same. I have never had honey that did not have a natural sweet taste to it. This stuff not only tastes horrible, the smell, it smells like ***.

Torget Guest

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai....asp#varietals

I just did a search and found this site to be very informative. Enjoy!

wow! Thanks for a very interesting article!

Very interesting. Too think I thought there was just the Honey Bear.

What a very neat link, thanks for sharing that Torget. I had no clue honey has so many different aspects that we can look for. My next trip to the grocery will have me looking for a new taste to try in honey.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Torget Guest

You are all very welcome! Glad I could be of assistance.

At one time, Meijers sold a line of honey that included six or eight different honeys-buckwheat, alfalfa. orange blossom, etc. I do not know if they still carry these.

I have heard that you should buy honey that is processed within a 10-15 mile radius of where you live to help combat allergies. I get honey from the apple farm in Kendallville. It's good!
    ~You reap what you sow~