Thread: Avilla Dragway 1992 Video

Default Avilla Dragway 1992 Video

Thanks to former Avilla Dragway Managers Tom & Pam Murphy I have two DVD's with footage from 1992 and I have put the 1st video up at Youtube with 10min's. The DVD's were donated to The Northeastern Indiana Racing Museum in Auburn,IN.
    I will put more footage up as time permits. Here's the link to Youtube for the 1st video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi-ZOJVTrFM

Default Re: Avilla Dragway 1992 Video

Very cool video, RF. I worked in Avilla in '92 on 2nd shift and Friday nights in the summer months, on our break, we would stand outside and listen to the cars on the drag strip. In '94 we moved to Avilla for a short time and could hear the cars from inside our house. The whole town smelled like burning rubber. We took our two oldest boys to one of the sprint car races around that same time and they just loved it. Great memories! Too bad the track is gone.
    ~You reap what you sow~

Quote Originally Posted by ebbieday View Post
    Very cool video, RF. I worked in Avilla in '92 on 2nd shift and Friday nights in the summer months, on our break, we would stand outside and listen to the cars on the drag strip. In '94 we moved to Avilla for a short time and could hear the cars from inside our house. The whole town smelled like burning rubber. We took our two oldest boys to one of the sprint car races around that same time and they just loved it. Great memories! Too bad the track is gone.
    I agree, it's just a shame that Avilla Dragway and the speedway are gone. On a popular note Avilla probably had Angola Motor Speedway and Baer Field speedway beat out 10 to 1. Think of the money that the town of Avilla businesses could make today if the speedway and dragstrip were still open. Some of the people just couldn't see the big picture.

I know the track/speedway were there for many years, but exactly when did they open it? One of my Dad's buddies raced his car there when I was a kid so it had to be quite a long time ago. Also, what was the last year that it was open and who wanted it gone?

I look forward to more videos.
    ~You reap what you sow~

Quote Originally Posted by ebbieday View Post
    I know the track/speedway were there for many years, but exactly when did they open it? One of my Dad's buddies raced his car there when I was a kid so it had to be quite a long time ago. Also, what was the last year that it was open and who wanted it gone?

I look forward to more videos.
    It was open from 1965 to Sept.15th,1995. I believe some of the towns people didn't like the noise and the property became too valuable because Avilla wanted to expand.

Here's some more video from Avilla Dragway back in 1992: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXFGe1bXngg