Thread: Grandson's question about canning.

Default Grandson's question about canning.

The other day my oldest (age 13) grandson asked me why on earth I like to can things.. he said "Geez Nan isn't it a lot of work for just a few things?". I laughed and broke it down for him. This week I canned salsa and tomatoes and below is the break down of cost. Of course I didn't include time and energy because canning is something I love to do. His reply after I explained it and showed him the numbers, was priceless. He said, "WOW Nan you are one smart lady!!" Life sure doesn't get much better than that!!!

45 lbs of tomatoes, 12 peppers, 15 onions = $38.24 (actual cost)

19 pints mild salsa, 15 pints hot salsa, 24 quarts tomatoes = $109.10 (What it would cost using walmart brand and prices)

Total savings of $70.86.

Default Re: Grandson's question about canning.

Hey NurseRita...WOW...I would love to hear that sort of compliment from my 12 yr old granddaughter!! Koodoos for you!

Unfortunately, I've never been one to can food. My mistake obviously. I am starting to grow an interest in canning some homemade jams. Not going to happen this year because of my work schedule. It looks like next year will be my 1st experience. Just have an idea for peach & apricot jams that I have not found on the grocery shelves.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NurseRita View Post
    The other day my oldest (age 13) grandson asked me why on earth I like to can things.. he said "Geez Nan isn't it a lot of work for just a few things?". I laughed and broke it down for him. This week I canned salsa and tomatoes and below is the break down of cost. Of course I didn't include time and energy because canning is something I love to do. His reply after I explained it and showed him the numbers, was priceless. He said, "WOW Nan you are one smart lady!!" Life sure doesn't get much better than that!!!

45 lbs of tomatoes, 12 peppers, 15 onions = $38.24 (actual cost)

19 pints mild salsa, 15 pints hot salsa, 24 quarts tomatoes = $109.10 (What it would cost using walmart brand and prices)

Total savings of $70.86.
    So the cost of your kitchen labor is nothing because you love to do it? We've got a job for you if you are interested...

Helen,

I know what you mean! I was in a state of shock with that comment...LOL.

Jams n Jellies are pretty easy to can, PLUS of course they are also a GOOD thing to have help with (especially from grandkids) and the added bonus of taste testing! Good luck and if I can help let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigB View Post
    So the cost of your kitchen labor is nothing because you love to do it? We've got a job for you if you are interested...
    LOL talk to me! I really DO love doing it. Yeah, it's work but it's also a time of peace and contentment for me so it's worth it.