Thread: to protect and serve

Default to protect and serve

My daughter was going through Ligonier this weekend, and got pulled over. She had my three year old grandson with her. The policeman said she was speeding, she said she was not. After going back to his car, and making her wait for about twenty minutes, he came back and said that he wasn't going to charge her with speeding, but her license plate was out of date and he would have to check on her registration. Her registration had expired ten days ago, [ i never got the bill in the mail, and I usually don't think about stuff like that] He came back, said he would impound the car, and she was given a ticket. Now, I don't mind getting a ticket for my stupidity, I don't mind paying my bills, but this cop stranded a young lady with a three year old in Ligonier, on a weekend. I have to ask, where is the protect and serve? I mean if she was a hardened criminal, or was scary looking, I might understand, but give me a break. I have several friends who have been given warnings, and told to get it fixed, without a ticket, but impounding the car? So, we went to the impound lot, there's only one in Ligonier, and oh by the way, she was pulled over 500 feet from this shop, and who do I spy but an after duty cop [must work there]. We get to find out that the towing charge, [500 feet] is $125.00 plus $ 35.00 for storage. I checked around, these rates are high even for Fort Wayne. Then I remember the off duty cop and it all makes sense, this is nothing about protecting and serving, this is about making money. Moral of story, protecting and serving, only works for them and their families and friends.

Default Re: to protect and serve

I can not disagree with anything you stated. I can only add that it is not just related to this one officer.
    I think 125 is thier standard hook up fee depending on time of day.
    They seem to be on some kind of record setting ticket campaign in Ligonier.
    Also thier is no shortage of officers in Ligonier.

I have heard several stories about ticket writing in Ligonier. I have even seen a Ligonier police car using radar in Wawaka. Watch your speed and everything else around there.

Quote Originally Posted by blue adept View Post
    He came back, said he would impound the car
    That man is an *******.

Bookworm Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeel View Post
    Also thier is no shortage of officers in Ligonier.
    There is no shortage of officers in Kendallville, either. That is unless you are counting the number needed to fill the drivers seats in our excess amount of police cars. The city wouldn't be wearing out our cars so fast if the officers (chief) lived within Kendallville zoning boundries and/or if they would just have Pizza Hut deliver!
    You either get it or you don't. The unfortunate thing is, most don't.

My daughter was going through Ligonier this weekend, and got pulled over. She had my three year old grandson with her. The policeman said she was speeding, she said she was not. After going back to his car, and making her wait for about twenty minutes, he came back and said that he wasn't going to charge her with speeding, but her license plate was out of date and he would have to check on her registration. Her registration had expired ten days ago, [ i never got the bill in the mail, and I usually don't think about stuff like that] He came back, said he would impound the car, and she was given a ticket. Now, I don't mind getting a ticket for my stupidity, I don't mind paying my bills, but this cop stranded a young lady with a three year old in Ligonier, on a weekend. I have to ask, where is the protect and serve? I mean if she was a hardened criminal, or was scary looking, I might understand, but give me a break. I have several friends who have been given warnings, and told to get it fixed, without a ticket, but impounding the car? So, we went to the impound lot, there's only one in Ligonier, and oh by the way, she was pulled over 500 feet from this shop, and who do I spy but an after duty cop [must work there]. We get to find out that the towing charge, [500 feet] is $125.00 plus $ 35.00 for storage. I checked around, these rates are high even for Fort Wayne. Then I remember the off duty cop and it all makes sense, this is nothing about protecting and serving, this is about making money. Moral of story, protecting and serving, only works for them and their families and friends.
    Regret to hear of your daughter and grandson's experience. It does seem that exercising a dash of common sense would be appropriate for the Ligonier LE in a case like this. Obviously, profit is a huge motivator in an instance of this kind. I would suggest that 'Protect and Serve' might be given a higher priority than 'Impound the car and hit the road Lady & Child'. How about a solution such as I will follow you directly home and do NOT drive again until your paperwork is in order on this car? Unfortunate your daughter had to experience this. Blue.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    Regret to hear of your daughter and grandson's experience. It does seem that exercising a dash of common sense would be appropriate for the Ligonier LE in a case like this. Obviously, profit is a huge motivator in an instance of this kind. I would suggest that 'Protect and Serve' might be given a higher priority than 'Impound the car and hit the road Lady & Child'. How about a solution such as I will follow you directly home and do NOT drive again until your paperwork is in order on this car? Unfortunate your daughter had to experience this. Blue.

Talked with a friend of mine last night, [who happens to be a judge in Noble County], and he named the garage that did the towing before I even told him that the officer impounded the car. He also told me, that they are aware of "officers" that work there part time, and that they are helping to fill the coffers of this business. He then went on to tell me that they could easily have left her with a warning, and a time limit to get the registration renewed. I find it mildly amusing that this officer didn't check to find out that the insurance cards were up to date. I also find it amusing that she was told to surrender her keys to the car, and that when we went to pick it up, that they drove it around to the front. I never gave them permission to drive my car, and it makes me wonder if they even towed it. All and all, my estimation of cops have taken an even steeper nose dive, and I will certainly avoid Ligonier. I also want to point out that I saved the city of Ligonier a considerable amount of money when I rebuilt their street clock. I will not make that mistake ever again.

So, you think things are better somewhere else?

http://news.yahoo.com/pregnant-mom-s...214407004.html
    Do not trust the experts. If you believe the doctors, nothing is healthy. If you believe the ministers, nothing is wholesome. If you believe the generals, nothing is safe.--Robert Cecil (1830-1903), Third Marquess of Salisbury

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Walter View Post
    So, you think things are better somewhere else?

http://news.yahoo.com/pregnant-mom-s...214407004.html
    Not really, but the cop in this instance either works for, or has co-workers that work for this towing company. In my mind, that makes this a conflict of interest case. I need to talk to my lawyer and find out if it can be pursued as such, and if it is possible, I will go from there. It really burns my butt that police are allowed to "push" business to their friends and or employers in this fashion.

Common-Tater Guest

Not really, but the cop in this instance either works for, or has co-workers that work for this towing company. In my mind, that makes this a conflict of interest case. I need to talk to my lawyer and find out if it can be pursued as such, and if it is possible, I will go from there. It really burns my butt that police are allowed to "push" business to their friends and or employers in this fashion.
    Based on dialogue we had in my Master courses it would seem a conflict of interest UNLESS the vehicle was towed to another shop. The problem is that it's the only shop in Ligonier and tickets are often left to the discretion of officers. I hope you're able to at least make the public aware of what is going on. It is an example of corruption in my opinion.