Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Spanking

  1. #1
    Common-Tater Guest

    Default Spanking

    Question: If both biological parents are present and active in a child's life is it appropriate for a step-parent to spank?

    I am not asking if spanking is appropriate. This is a question for parents. If you have no children, you can't possibly understand the question.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dekalb County
    Posts
    6,805

    Default Re: Spanking

    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    Question: If both biological parents are present and active in a child's life is it appropriate for a step-parent to spank?

    I am not asking if spanking is appropriate. This is a question for parents. If you have no children, you can't possibly understand the question.
    I am absolutely NOT comfortable with a step parent spanking a child.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kendallville
    Posts
    1,826

    Default Re: Spanking

    I agree, a step-parent should NEVER spank a child.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Spanking

    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    Question: If both biological parents are present and active in a child's life is it appropriate for a step-parent to spank?

    I am not asking if spanking is appropriate. This is a question for parents. If you have no children, you can't possibly understand the question.
    Formerly having used spanking as a punishment, I now have to say.
    Spanking is not appropriate for anyone, I now realize the only thing
    that spanking teaches is that if you feel you are in the right Abuse of someone else is ok.
    I was even spanked once in 5th grade by a principal and all that I remember from
    it is pure hatred for the fact that he felt it appropriate to strike me. That was over 40 years ago
    and I still despise that man. So maybe before anyone strikes out they should stop and consider
    the long term implications of their actions.
    Open your eyes...............
    Don't go another day through life blindly
    !

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Blue Line
    Posts
    5,703

    Default Re: Spanking

    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    I am not asking if spanking is appropriate.
    Yeah, you basically are.

  6. #6
    Common-Tater Guest

    Default Re: Spanking

    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    I am absolutely NOT comfortable with a step parent spanking a child.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graygleam View Post
    I agree, a step-parent should NEVER spank a child.
    Was just curious if I was out of line by being upset that my ex-wife and her husband think it is appropriate for him to spank my son. My son also says they use a belt.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Blue Line
    Posts
    5,703

    Default Re: Spanking

    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    Was just curious if I was out of line by being upset that my ex-wife and her husband think it is appropriate for him to spank my son. My son also says they use a belt.
    Ask a cop.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Spanking

    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    Was just curious if I was out of line by being upset that my ex-wife and her husband think it is appropriate for him to spank my son. My son also says they use a belt.
    Find a way to put a stop to it before it goes any further you rarely get do overs to protect your child.
    A child is the most precious gift that we are ever entrusted to care for in our lives.
    That privilege should never be taken lightly.
    Open your eyes...............
    Don't go another day through life blindly
    !

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kendallville
    Posts
    1,826

    Default Re: Spanking

    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    Was just curious if I was out of line by being upset that my ex-wife and her husband think it is appropriate for him to spank my son. My son also says they use a belt.
    People that use belts on children may wind-up explaining it to Child Protective Services. If your son is telling the truth, they could be in big trouble, IF it is leaving marks. Also, if there are marks or bruises, or welts, you are, by law, required to report it.

  10. #10
    Common-Tater Guest

    Default Re: Spanking

    Quote Originally Posted by Graygleam View Post
    People that use belts on children may wind-up explaining it to Child Protective Services. If your son is telling the truth, they could be in big trouble, IF it is leaving marks. Also, if there are marks or bruises, or welts, you are, by law, required to report it.
    The problem is there are no marks. It's his word against theirs. And they are denying it. If I push it without evidence, I'm the one the law will go after.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Spanking

    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    The problem is there are no marks. It's his word against theirs. And they are denying it. If I push it without evidence, I'm the one the law will go after.
    Wouldn't be you pushing it if the child is the one that talks to C.P.S.
    Let C.P.S. determine the evidence, never be afraid of protecting your child.
    His safety is your only concern.
    Last edited by No Adventure Is Too Small; 11-06-2011 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Open your eyes...............
    Don't go another day through life blindly
    !

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dekalb County
    Posts
    6,805

    Default Re: Spanking

    Quote Originally Posted by No Adventure Is Too Small View Post
    Wouldn't be you pushing it if the child is the one that talks to C.P.S.
    Let C.P.S. determine the evidence, never be afraid of protecting your child.
    His safety is your only concern.
    I have got to agree with you. Let the child speak to the CPS and tell his own story. I cannot understand how bringing this issue before the court could possibly cause harm to Tater? Concern for the well being of our children must be the priority of our courts and of our society. My sincere best wishes for Tater and his son!
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

  13. #13
    Common-Tater Guest

    Default Re: Spanking

    Quote Originally Posted by No Adventure Is Too Small View Post
    Wouldn't be you pushing it if the child is the one that talks to C.P.S.
    Let C.P.S. determine the evidence, never be afraid of protecting your child.
    His safety is your only concern.
    He's 4. I've already been told by my attorney that without physical evidence they will not persue the case. There's no proof. And unfortunately the word of a 4 year old is meaningless.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Spanking

    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    He's 4. I've already been told by my attorney that without physical evidence they will not persue the case. There's no proof. And unfortunately the word of a 4 year old is meaningless.
    That is not totally true, while I understand that your attorney may say that to your question.
    A call to child protective services will still initiate an investigation by them.
    They will at least talk to your son and form their own conclusion after investigating.
    Way back when I was even younger than you currently are I had gone through a
    divorce and at one point in time my ex called CPS on me saying that I was not providing
    proper care for my child. They investigated immediately from just a call being made to them.
    I was cleared of any improper care, but they do take complaints seriously. Probably even
    more so now, as my incident was over 30 years ago.
    Open your eyes...............
    Don't go another day through life blindly
    !

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The SouthLeft Coast
    Posts
    1,194

    Default Re: Spanking

    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    He's 4. I've already been told by my attorney that without physical evidence they will not persue the case. There's no proof. And unfortunately the word of a 4 year old is meaningless.
    This may sound a lot less serious than it is meant to be, but you've indicated you are in some form of the security business - any chance of getting a bug on your son?

  16. #16
    Common-Tater Guest

    Default Re: Spanking

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigB View Post
    This may sound a lot less serious than it is meant to be, but you've indicated you are in some form of the security business - any chance of getting a bug on your son?
    That creates a whole new set of legal issues. Not to mention how I would get something like that on his person, knowing that she'll change his clothes at some point and I usually don't get them back.

  17. #17
    Common-Tater Guest

    Default Re: Spanking

    Quote Originally Posted by No Adventure Is Too Small View Post
    That is not totally true, while I understand that your attorney may say that to your question.
    A call to child protective services will still initiate an investigation by them.
    They will at least talk to your son and form their own conclusion after investigating.
    Way back when I was even younger than you currently are I had gone through a
    divorce and at one point in time my ex called CPS on me saying that I was not providing
    proper care for my child. They investigated immediately from just a call being made to them.
    I was cleared of any improper care, but they do take complaints seriously. Probably even
    more so now, as my incident was over 30 years ago.
    I don't get much cooperation from CPS because I got one of their case workers in trouble for sharing information about a case with an inappropriate party and making up information that was not supported by the facts. From my experience, I've found them to be biased, harsh when they don't like someone, and more interested in punishing parents than reconciling families.
    Last edited by Common-Tater; 11-07-2011 at 06:19 PM.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Spanking

    I'm not yet a mother although I have children which I took care of. They are my two little cousin's ages 6 and 4. Their mom just left them on my mothers care, since both their parents left for a work abroad and I assist my mom too. Even though they are hyper active I keep on understanding since they are little kids. I do
    disagree on spanking children.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Steuben (State of Indiana) County
    Posts
    1,269

    Default Re: Spanking

    Quote Originally Posted by LuciusBeebe View Post
    Ask a cop.
    Got to FP roaming and had to bring up this oldie but goodie a couple times over. But anyway say the unruly child was wearing the belt,again,if that child was wearing the belt and spinning around an friends experience after a Cop advised them that as long it is BELOW the belt,even when out in public. But that was years ago though makes sense to me like that poem of,Author unknown:Never hit a child in the face because God made a better place

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •