Thread: Penn State

Default Penn State

This Penn State debacle crushes my heart. How any responsible man/woman could walk away without dialing 911 after witnessing this offense is a mystery to me? Yes, I understand many of you may disrespect Barry Switzer, yet, I did live in OK when he ruled their football. I don't believe for one minute he would have turned his head on this kind of offense to children by any member of his administration.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo..._lnk3%7C112011
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Default Re: Penn State

If they knew, .....they knew....totally unconscionable.
    For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it. - Patrick Henry

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Douglas View Post
    If they knew, .....they knew....totally unconscionable.
    The rioting in reaction to what has now occured all these years after the fact sickens me.
    I watched as a couple of female students were interviewed this morning and their need to still
    act like this man was in no way responsible because he did all that was needed in their minds
    also sickens me. This all leads me to the ultimate question.

If we won't protect our children, then who will?
    Open your eyes...............
    Don't go another day through life blindly
    !

4. Default Re: Penn State

To me, the Penn State Trustees over-reacted. The grad assistant reported what he witnessed to Paterno, who in turn reported to the athletic director. Both did what was required under both University regulations and Pennsylvania law. It then became the AD's job to investigate and report to his superior. Whether the grad assistant or Paterno should or could have done more is open to debate. The bottom line is that they did what they were supposed to do. For the Trustees to dismiss Paterno, thus causing the rioting by the students, was totally uncalled for. What about the trustees themselves? Were they advised of the allegations and the investigation? If so, then their actions 9 years ago also need to be scrutinized; maybe they are the ones who need to step aside. If they did not know, they need to find out why they were not advised. Paterno had already stated he was going to retire at the end of the year - 3 or 4 games was all he had left. By dismissing him in mid-season, the trustees got what they deserved. The trustees' haste to try to save face over the scandal has caused an even greater black mark on the university.

I by no means excuse the allegations if they prove to be true. But that will take time. My guess is that in the end, the university will pay dearly for the transgressions of the few.

Over-reacted?? Paterno made it pretty clear that he was going to do the minimum legally required. Since Paterno welds more power at Penn State than even the President, everyone up the line followed his lead. As a result, Sandusky was allowed to continue exploiting his relationship to Penn to prey upon and rape young boys.
    Allowing Paterno to continue and complete his season of coaching Penn State would be tantamount to the university condoning child rape in my opinion. It’s not just a matter of Sandusky’s actions, it also involved Paterno’s (and others) inaction. And yes, they will and should pay dearly for the unspeakable harm done by their inaction.
    It also doesn't speak very highly of the students who rioted over the decision. They may need to recalibrate their moral compasses.
    “People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.” -Soren Kierkegaard

I think Joe did all that was required of him legally. On a moral stance,there is no way MOST people would of been ok with Sandusky being on the sideline. Guilt by association would of made most people tell him to go play in the road.

Well, they removed his statue.

Anyone else disappointed they didn't do it the same way our army pulled down that Saddam statue about a decade ago?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7120603.story
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,
    And kumquats are just, plain evil...