Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterloo officer shot in face

Default Waterloo officer shot in face

Police have identified the Waterloo deputy marshal who was shot in the face this morning as Stephen Brady, 47, of Pleasant Lake, a 13-year veteran of the department.

http://www.kpcnews.com/index.php?opt...ticle&id=22660

We (and other area media) will have much about him in the next couple of days, but perhaps as time goes on Nathan can also post some updates on his recovery.

I'm sure he's in many people's thoughts and prayers right now.

Default Re: Waterloo officer shot in face

Quote Originally Posted by james_t View Post
    Police have identified the Waterloo deputy marshal who was shot in the face this morning as Stephen Brady, 47, of Pleasant Lake, a 13-year veteran of the department.

http://www.kpcnews.com/index.php?opt...ticle&id=22660

We (and other area media) will have much about him in the next couple of days, but perhaps as time goes on Nathan can also post some updates on his recovery.

I'm sure he's in many people's thoughts and prayers right now.
    What a horrid tragedy. Sincerely want to extend my regrets and best wishes for recovery to Officer Stephen Brady and his family. I do look forward to updates on his recovery.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

it was reported this morning on the news that 15-20 rounds were fired while they were doing a live interview with an officer on the scene. i count over 20......

_________________________________________________. ..............................................I do not support this ad.

here is the interview at about the 1:40 mark.....

_________________________________________________. ..............................................I do not support this ad.

looks like the shooter was wanted...

http://www.themostwanted.net/Indiana/Noble/View/69234

Quote Originally Posted by michael medeski View Post
    looks like the shooter was wanted...

http://www.themostwanted.net/Indiana/Noble/View/69234
    Yup. We had this last week:

ALBION — A warrant was issued for an Angola man after he failed to appear in Noble Circuit Court Thursday morning for his sentencing on a felony methamphetamine charge.

Ralph D. Hardiek, 41, was scheduled to be sentenced Thursday on a charge of manufacturing methamphetamine, a Class B felony, and possession of paraphernalia, a Class A misdemeanor.

Full story (requires subscription): http://www.kpcnews.com/index.php?opt...ticle&id=22222

Stephen Brady's wife Jan is also a Waterloo deputy marshal. WANE-TV reported she was not on duty at the time of the shootings.

some interesting quotes from neighbors......

A.J. Kelton one of the witnesses says, "Looked outside and saw the state troopers lined from here all around. They blocked off the street, looked out and saw one Indiana State Trooper armed with an assault rifle, which makes my morning interesting."
    From there, Kelton says a gun fight ensued.
    "What to me I could only describe as basically a gun battle. A couple of shots returned by several more."

That gun battle was also heard by Tammy Beechler.
    She knows the house well. She used to live here and even built the deck the two suspects hid under. The deck where gun battle took place.

"There's no way that they could have got all the way into that,” says Beechler, “because the kids would lose toys and stuff down in there. There was no way, so they had to be on the outside."

"I heard police say, 'Show us your hands. Come out with your hands up,'" said Melvin Miller, 69, who lives next door to where the man and woman were found hiding under a deck. "My brother-in-law said he heard someone say, 'He's got a gun.' That's when I heard all the firing going on."

Miller estimated a dozen officers were in the yard at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by james_t View Post
    Yup. We had this last week:

ALBION — A warrant was issued for an Angola man after he failed to appear in Noble Circuit Court Thursday morning for his sentencing on a felony methamphetamine charge.

Ralph D. Hardiek, 41, was scheduled to be sentenced Thursday on a charge of manufacturing methamphetamine, a Class B felony, and possession of paraphernalia, a Class A misdemeanor.

Full story (requires subscription): http://www.kpcnews.com/index.php?opt...ticle&id=22222

Stephen Brady's wife Jan is also a Waterloo deputy marshal. WANE-TV reported she was not on duty at the time of the shootings.
    I remember reading this article at the time and thinking...this is one that is not going to end well. NO...I did not know Mr. Hardiek, I was just reflecting on what I have learned about people who use Meth and the very intense altered states of mind they find themselves in. When I had 1st read this article, I tried to imagine what a desperate state of mind he must be dealing with. Obviously from this outcome, he was way out of control. Unfortunately 2 other lives are also suffering to the extreme due to his issues. So very sad and unnecessary.
    Last edited by HoosierHelen; 12-16-2011 at 09:35 AM.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Common-Tater Guest

Let me add that this incident pulled officers from neighboring counties making them unavailable to address concerns in their own neighborhoods. The meth epidemic in this area needs to be put to a stop. They need to start searching every suspected meth lab. Sometimes these places go unsearched for months or years before there is finally an incident. Governments need to stop taking funds away from police departments. All of them are understaffed now and we're starting to see the result of that stupidity. Make the mayors participate in ride-alongs and see what's really going on out there. Put their lives on the line a little bit and see if they still feel defunding police departments is appropriate.

Prayers many prayers go out for Deputy Brady for a quick and speedy recovery. God be with you... You are a true Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    Sometimes these places go unsearched for months or years before there is finally an incident.
    What places are we talking about here?

Common-Tater Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Graygleam View Post
    What places are we talking about here?
    Houses that people in the community know are drug houses. Places that often go many months before they are raided...if they ever are. When I lived in Auburn, I lived accross the street from one for almost a year before the police finally got involved and made a mass arrest of high school and college age kids. Neighbors (including myself) had been complaining to police about traffic in and out of there, all hours of the night, the loud weekend parties...the squeeling tires... It's embarassing how long it took them to finally do something about it.

Neighbors (including myself) had been complaining to police about traffic in and out of there, all hours of the night, the loud weekend parties...the squeeling tires... It's embarassing how long it took them to finally do something about it.
    You darn kids!

Best wishes to officer Brady and his family. I hope you are able to return to duty very soon.
    "NEVER IN THE COURSE OF HUMAN HISTORY HAVE SO FEW DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE." - Winston Churchill

Steve Brady is a good man. If it is possible for you, please help him financially.

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/ne...135788818.html

I understand that you could drop off a donation at any Farmer's State Bank location, also.
    Last edited by Graygleam; 12-19-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Houses that people in the community know are drug houses. Places that often go many months before they are raided...if they ever are. When I lived in Auburn, I lived accross the street from one for almost a year before the police finally got involved and made a mass arrest of high school and college age kids. Neighbors (including myself) had been complaining to police about traffic in and out of there, all hours of the night, the loud weekend parties...the squeeling tires... It's embarassing how long it took them to finally do something about it.
    Hey Common-Tater - Ever heard of the 4th Amendement!

Common-Tater Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptical View Post
    Hey Common-Tater - Ever heard of the 4th Amendement!
    This can be done without violating the 4th Amendement. When they have plenty witnesses and complaints, the least they can do is watch a place for a couple weeks, see what they come up with. They can even go to the house, knock on the door, and address any ordinance violations mentioned by the neighbors. While there, they can give the doorway a sniff or see if anything is in plain site. If it fits the M.O. of a drug house, they should be able to obtain a search warrant. Really what I'm saying is they can and should be doing more to investigate these places.

I do feel for Steve and his family and wish him a quick recovery.

18. Default Re: Waterloo officer shot in face

Often they are investigating these places before the complaints even start. Some of the traffic could quite possibly have been undercover officers playing the game. Perhaps they didn't jump when you called because they didn't want to jeapordize an ongoing investigation.
    "You don't have to agree with me, it's ok for you to be wrong." A.R.Rogance

This can be done without violating the 4th Amendement. When they have plenty witnesses and complaints, the least they can do is watch a place for a couple weeks, see what they come up with. They can even go to the house, knock on the door, and address any ordinance violations mentioned by the neighbors. While there, they can give the doorway a sniff or see if anything is in plain site. If it fits the M.O. of a drug house, they should be able to obtain a search warrant. Really what I'm saying is they can and should be doing more to investigate these places.

I do feel for Steve and his family and wish him a quick recovery.
    I do not wish to hijack this thread because it is of great importance. So maybe you should open up a new thread and I promise to " open your mind " to your statement.

Steve we are all praying for you ....... Keep up the good work and fight sir. God be with you...

Good news from the 12/20/'11 News Sun

A Waterloo deputy marshal shot in the line of duty early Thursday morning continues to show improvement in the intensive care unit at an area hospital, according to Waterloo Marshal Jay Oberholtzer.

Monday afternoon, Oberholtzer said Brady still is not breathing on his own, but he has been taken off a ventilator and is now breathing with the assistance of a tracheotomy. The ventilator was removed in advance of surgery Brady is facing this week to repair his jaw.