Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Source of Happiness...

Default Source of Happiness...

I do believe GOOD thoughts & stories are well worth sharing....

I have always believed that the happy person is not happy because he has a good life but because he wants to be happy.

I was told of a story about two twins one was always happy and the other always sad. The parents decided to for one moment have the two boys be alike so they took the sad boy and put him in a room with every kind of toy they could find. The other boy they put in a room filled with horse manure. After leaving the two boys for the day when they came back the boy that was always sad was upset because the toy he had been playing with was hard for him to get to work. When they went to the room with the happy boy they found him laughing and digging in the manure. They were shocked because they thought he would never be happy in horse manure. When they asked him why he was so happy he answered " With this much horse manure there has to be a horse somewhere."

You choose your outlook on life. It is about perspective and I believe that we, the local and global community, must find in times of crises an opportunity to put human ingenuity to work out creative ways to address our problems.

Hopefully, we have other members with some happy reflections to share?
    Last edited by HoosierHelen; 01-13-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Default Re: Source of Happiness...

I realize there are many great charities doing great things for our communities out there. This is just ONE of those stories.

In 2005, Bruno and his mother, Caterina, visited the Boys and Girls Club of Anaheim, where his mother noticed that there was a 6-year old boy eating potato chips for dinner, because his family couldn't afford a proper meal. Caterina insisted that Bruno make some pasta for the child. They soon realized that there were many more of these hungry 'motel children', so Bruno begun making pasta for 72 children, 5 nights a week. Today, that event has now expanded to feeding nearly 300 kids, 7 nights a week and over a quarter of a million meals to date.

Caterina's Club holds luncheons every few months where guests are greeted with Champagne, served a gourmet meal and dine while viewing a fashion show sponsored by local Anaheim boutiques. 100 percent of net proceeds of these luncheons go directly to Caterina's Club. These generous donations of Caterina's Club luncheons have allowed the program to donate a 12 passenger van to transport the children from where they live in local motels to the Boys & Girls Clubs. This transportation was also extended to their families so that they may go to and from a medical clinic in Santa Ana.

Caterina's Club has also contributed to a free dental clinic as well as piano lessons for the Boys & Girls Clubs members. The children have been provided with one-on-one tutoring on a daily basis, allowing them to achieve better in school. In addition to the tutoring, upgraded computer software was also provided to aide the children in furthering their education. Caterina's Club along with the help of Anaheim Ballet began a program introducing ballet to the kids.

A more complete story regarding the good things Caterina's Club are accomplishing is here: http://www.thecaterinasclub.org/
    Hans Christian Anderson

What We Need is Here

Geese appear high over us,
    pass, and the sky closes. Abandon,
    as in love or sleep, holds
    them to their way, clear
    in the ancient faith: what we need
    is here. And we pray, not
    for new earth or heaven, but to be
    quiet in heart, and in eye,
    clear. What we need is here.

Wendell Berry

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/what-we-need-is-here/
    Hans Christian Anderson

Caitlin Crosby an actress, singer and songwriter tells a wonderful story about her experience with the ‘Giving Keys’.

It started in a New York motel. The key to my room was old and rusted. And I immediately loved it. So I 'permanently borrowed' it, put it on a chain, and slipped it over my neck. The rush of compliments that key received completely surprised me. After all, it was just a key. Or so I thought....

Read the rest of Caitlin's story here:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/caitli...b_1199754.html
    Hans Christian Anderson

Such is the Force of Happiness

Such is the Force of Happiness—
    The Least—can lift a Ton
    Assisted by its stimulus—

Who Misery—sustain—
    No Sinew can afford—
    The Cargo of Themselves—
    Too infinite for Consciousness'
    Slow capabilities.

Emily Dickinson
    Hans Christian Anderson

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be
    Abraham Lincoln
    Last edited by HoosierHelen; 01-16-2012 at 10:02 AM.
    Hans Christian Anderson

Will this discovery yield new insights into biogeochemically important elements in one of the most extreme naturally occurring environments on our planet? geochemist Doug Connelly of the NOC, who is the Principal Scientist of the expedition is hopeful.

British Scientific Expedition Discovers Deepest Known Undersea Vents
    JANUARY 11, 2012
    National Oceanography Centre

A British scientific expedition has discovered the world's deepest undersea volcanic vents, known as 'black smokers', 3.1 miles (5000 metres) down in the Cayman Trough in the Caribbean. Using a deep-diving vehicle remotely controlled from the Royal Research Ship James Cook, the scientists found slender spires made of copper and iron ores on the seafloor, erupting water hot enough to melt lead, nearly half a mile deeper than anyone has seen before.
    http://noc.ac.uk/news/british-scient...lcanic-vents-0
    Last edited by HoosierHelen; 01-16-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: corrected the link
    Hans Christian Anderson

Reading this story today brought a happy smile to my heart. Very proud to know of Rev. Dr. Thomas Sagendorf's participation in such an important part of our nation's history. Thank you KPC for reporting this story!

Angola man marched twice with MLK

by Jennifer Decker jdecker@kpcnews.net
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 1:00am

ANGOLA — The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King was a voice who drew many to his marches in the 1960s prior to his assassination.

One who was drawn to the civil rights leader was the Rev. Dr. Thomas Sagendorf, Ball Lake.

Sagendorf marched twice with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and also met with him during the turbulent 1960s.

“His voice couldn’t be dismissed,” Sagendorf said about the civil rights leader.

But Sagendorf is quick to say he didn’t march against ending racial segregation, discrimination or ending the Vietnam War to be labeled a hero. “I was acting on my conscience,” Sagendorf said.

Sagendorf spoke about his time with King during part of Sunday’s sermon at the First United Congregational Church of Christ in Angola. Sagendorf is an ordained Methodist minister, but is pastor in residence at UCC.

King was a clergyman and civil rights leader, who used nonviolence to work toward ending racial segregation and discrimination in the U.S. King was assassinated April 4, 1968, in Memphis, Tenn. Martin Luther King Jr. Day was established as a U.S. federal holiday in 1986 and was observed Monday across the country.

Sagendforf joined King on a march from Selma to Montgomery, Ala., in March 1965. At the time, Alabama State Troopers beat marchers with clubs, whips, dogs and mace. Shortly after that, King appealed for the nation to join the march.

At the time, Sagendorf was a senior at the Methodist Theological School in Ohio, where it was decided he and seven other students and two professors would join the march.

“Married less than two years, I phoned my dad before I left and said, ‘Dad, I’m going to Alabama to march with Martin Luther King. You have my insurance policies. If I don’t come back, please take care of Judie (his wife),’” Sagendorf said.

His group intersected the march outside Montgomery. At that time, marchers gathered for instructions at a Roman Catholic compound, St. Jude’s. While the compound was circled bypickup trucks flying the Confederate flag, shot guns pointed at them.

“We were told that we might be cursed, stoned, spat upon and even physically attacked. All of these things happened somewhere along the route,” he said.

Despite the fear, the group still marched, sang songs of freedom and justice. National guardsmen stood on street corners and rooftops, carrying rifles.

“Our group was a block back from the capitol steps. There were many speakers, but when Dr. King spoke, there was complete silence. A true prophet of the Lord, it was like hearing the voice of God,” he said.

After the event ended, Sagendorf and his integrated group wanted to get out of Alabama quickly, as they feared for their safety. Sagendorf drove the lead car in a three-vehicle caravan and they were followed several miles by a station wagon with its sides and back windows covered in brown paper. Sagendorf said they assumed it was the Ku Klux Klan, but eventually, the station wagon sped off into the night. Later they learned that Violet Liozzo, a Detroit woman, had been shot and killed by the KKK when she was driving marchers back to Selma. Sagendorf said it’s likely that would have been his group’s fate had there not been three cars in the caravan.

Sagendorf said the Selma to Montgomery March resulted in President Lyndon Johnson signing the Voting Rights Act into law with King standing at his side.

Sagendorf’s second encounter with King was in April 1967 during a New York march against the Vietnam War that reportedly drew a crowd of 400,000 to Central Park.
    “It would seem like marching in such a throng on the streets of Manhatten would be a relatively safe thing to do, but it wasn’t,” he said. Objects like bags of sugar or flour were dropped on heads of marchers from those in buildings overhead.

“As in Montgomery, the voice of Dr. King was like listening to the voice of God. And again, it was an instance of hands, feet, voices and enormous risk, confronting the powers of evil,” he said.

In 1968, Sagendorf met with King at a Cleveland meeting of 10 people of Operation Bread Basket. They strategized how to combat the abuse of police power and how to get food into poor sections of the city.

“In that meeting, I was most impressed by the Martin Luther King I saw,” he said. “No booming voice. No attempt to take over the agenda. Just a Baptist preacher with a soft, gentle demeanor. He’s so often crying into the wilderness. He spoke (conversationally). In none of those encounters did he sound defeated.”

Sagendorf was eating at a restaurant in Cleveland with wife Judie when they received word King was assassinated in 1968 in Memphis.

“It was an act of unconscionable cowardice and brutality. Suddenly, our food turned sour and we felt anger and intense grief. But this awful event didn’t kill the vision or the quest for peace and social and economic justice. Not at all,” he said.

Sagendorf said Monday, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, a federal holiday, was just a day off to some, but to others, it held great meaning.

“I think the dream is still alive — not just with Christians,” he said. “The world is shaped by the kingdom of God.”

http://www.kpcnews.com/index.php?opt...ticle&id=24866
    Hans Christian Anderson

So VERY happy to read of this good news for St. Joe. Best wishes for their success ... keep us posted on their needs and also their progress!

Youth center coming to St. Joe
    By Jeff Jones jeffj@kpcnews.net
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 12:01am

ST. JOE — A local group is working to bring a youth center to St. Joe.

The Foundation Youth Center would be located in the Curie Block building, 207 Washington St., according to board president Nicki McKean.

“We want to see our community come together, for the glory of God, to teach families how to be families again and for neighbors to be neighbors again,” McKean said.

The organization’s mission is to “build our community, one child at a time, through Christ,” according to its literature.

“We’re nondenominational,” McKean explained. “We want this to be the entire community coming together.”

The board, which includes McKean, secretary Andrea Herzberg and treasurer Krystal Bergeron, hopes to open the center in mid-March. The board is working to secure its not-for-profit status so it can pursue grants.

McKean said she and her husband, Ben, had discussed the idea for some time.

“We had been thinking about this since July,” she said. “One night, I had a fire lit in me, and I started writing down ideas.”

The board began its search for a location, and as it turned out, building owners Joe and Laura Graves were looking for a tenant.

“We had been trying to find each other, but our paths weren’t crossing,” McKean said. The 1,000-square-foot building will work just fine, she added.

As a start-up organization, the Foundation Youth Center is starting with nothing, but community support seems to be building.

An anonymous donor came forward to pay the electricity deposit. Another anonymous donor made a deposit on the building. Gibson Heating & Plumbing donated a furnace.

“Things came together so perfectly,” McKean said.

Hours will be 1-8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturdays.

The board plans to have a variety of activities, including movie nights for children and families, games and entertainment, monthly missions, guest speakers, a mentor program and an exercise program.

“We want to provide as many services as we can,” McKean said.

The board estimates its first-year budget to be $35,000, including two full-time employees.

“We want to be transparent to donors,” McKean said. “We want them to know to know where their money is going.”

More information may be found at thefoundationyouthcenter.org.
    Hans Christian Anderson

Nothing like a baby to spread a smile across my face.

Loved this video today...hope a few others enjoy her also:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...tml?ref=comedy
    Hans Christian Anderson

Happy The Man

Happy the man, and happy he alone,
    He who can call today his own:
    He who, secure within, can say,
    Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.
    Be fair or foul or rain or shine
    The joys I have possessed, in spite of fate, are mine.
    Not Heaven itself upon the past has power,
    But what has been, has been, and I have had my hour.

by John Dryden
    Hans Christian Anderson

I'm very much looking forward to watching this.

The Search for Happiness
    By Roko Belic

A dirt poor rickshaw puller in a slum in India once told me that he was the luckiest person alive. His hut was made out of bamboo sticks and plastic tarps, with raw sewage trickling out front, but still, Manoj Singh said he was happy, very happy, in fact. Though sometimes he only had only a few bowls of rice to feed his family, he said "I feel that I am not poor, but I am the richest person in the world."

How could this be? I have friends who can become unhappy by bad cell phone reception or a delayed flight.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/roko-b...?ref=good-news
    Hans Christian Anderson

Another positive story worth sharing.....

One man is singlehandedly making the Windy City -- and beyond -- a whole lot warmer.

Ryan Garcia, a 30-year-old sales rep in Chicago, has pledged to do a random act of kindness all 366 days of this leap year, WLS reports.
    Garcia tells the station he hopes to inspire his young daughter.

"It was a New Year's resolution. I have a newborn daughter who is 4-months-old, and I just want to set a great example for her."
    So far, Garcia has given back by sending a letter to a solider Afghanistan, raising awareness for a cancer patient and more.

On Day 14, he blogged about buying socks, gloves, deodorant and other items at Costco. He then hand-delivered them to some of the 6,000 homeless people in Chicago.
    "I almost lost it when 1 man said to me, 'I was praying that something positive would happen to me. I just knew it would happen,'" Garcia wrote.

On Day 10, he committed himself to complimenting 25 strangers.
    "So I definitely received my fair share of weird looks, but most people were very appreciative," he blogged.

Garcia's garnered an international following and has received phone calls, emails and social media outreach since beginning his mission, according to CBS Chicago.

“There are people who are following in 18 different countries,” he said. “The feeling and the warmth I’ve gotten back has just made it great for me.”
    With a long stretch ahead, Garcia is hoping people can offer ideas and inspiration for spreading the love. Check out his blog and send him ideas at http://www.366randomacts.org/

366 Random Acts of Kindness
    A journey to give back through random acts of kindness every day of the year. Follow on Twitter (@366RandomActs) and Like on Facebook (www.facebook.com/366RandomActsOfKindness). 10 cents will be donated to charity for every Like and Follow.

FRIDAY, JANUARY 20, 2012

Day 20: Bought Breakfast for a Stranger

I was slow getting up this morning and wasn't able to get breakfast before dropping off my wife and daughter. So before my first appointment of the day, I stopped in to McDonald's to grab some food (sorry babe, it was the only thing around). While I was trying to decide with which delicious fare I would clog my arteries, I noticed a woman counting change to pay for her order. It was apparent that she was going to come up short and not be able to pay for her meal. At best, she was going to be able to get just the coffee. Before she had the opportunity to cancel her order, I decided to buy the woman's breakfast. She was very thankful and sweet and even offered to give me the change to cover part of the cost. I told her she didn't need to pay me and asked if she could just do a random act of kindness for someone today. She was very happy to oblige. So, today's random act ended up actually being random and spur of the moment.
    Posted by Ryan at 7:02 AM 2 comments
    Hans Christian Anderson

Today's reading on Happiness

HAPPINESS

Happiness comes in many forms: contentment, joy, pleasure, delight, and satisfaction. It can bring belly-aching laughter and tears of joy. Or it can be experienced in moments of peace while alone. Either way, it is our natural and entitled state.

Why then does happiness take so much courage sometimes? Why must something that we are born with slip away?

Life will never be short of learning and growth. This is what we are here for, to come to know ourselves, our true authentic selves, and we do this through growth. And while some of this will stretch our spirits, minds, and hearts, causing pain and challenges, growth can also bring joy and beautiful rewards of contentment and satisfaction.

The thing that hinders happiness the most is expectations. Without always being conscious of it or intending to, families place expectations on us from the moment we are born. They dream our lives for us, based on their past experiences, their own joys and pain. They bring us into the world with hope of providing a better life for us than they had for themselves, to try and improve with each generation.

We in turn, develop expectations of them; expecting them to understand us, expecting them to allow us to be ourselves, based on our own life experiences. Yet we have all walked in our own shoes, not each other's. So while we can try to understand each other, our assumptions will never be wholly correct without honest communication.

On top of our expectations of each other, we also develop expectations of ourselves. Our dreams and yearnings drive us forward. But in the fast-paced world we live in, we put an unnatural amount of pressure on ourselves. It can be a tough enough world to survive in, without adding our own criticism.

With so much pressure and expectation, both from external and internal forces, happiness can slip away quietly until it is so rare in our lives, that we almost forget what it feels like to be happy. But it is our inherent right to feel good and full of joy. It is what we are here to experience the most. There will be ups and downs through life, certainly. But happiness should still be a large part of that.

So how do we bring happiness back in, or ensure we don't let it slip away? The best habit to create in one's self is to learn how to stay present, living in the moment you are in. It may feel at first that you are denying existing problems, that you are avoiding dealing with life. But it isn't so.

By learning to bring yourself back to the present moment whenever you can, it settles the mind. And in doing so, it allows the answers and solutions to come through at the right time, instead of being blocked by busy, negative, and troubled thinking. It also allows the beauty of the moment you are in to be appreciated, and gratitude is a powerful force in turning life around.

So, wherever you are, just be there. Note the layers of sounds around you. Listen to how many things can be heard. Look at the colours, or the people, or nature. Feel your breath slow down. And simply allow yourself to be; observing, listening, breathing. This is never a waste of time. It is one of the most important and beneficial habits you can create in your life. Your problems will wait, and you will be calmer for having had such time out from them. This in turn leaves you more capable to then deal with the challenge.

Communication is another habit to develop. This involves both the courage to speak honestly, as well as allowing others to be heard without interruption or judgement. It shouldn't take so much courage to be able to be yourself, but unfortunately it can at times, due to other's expectations of you.

Remember though, that such expectations are really about them. And you have the right to be who you are here to be, who you dream to be. Learn to express yourself, ask to be heard without interruption. Try not to accuse or attack others. Instead, speak your own truth and of the life that makes sense to you. Even if it is not received how you would like, you will know in yourself that you are now living a life true to yourself. And the more you communicate your feelings honestly, the easier it becomes, and the happier you feel. It takes time and practice. But it is a habit well worth sticking with.

Your life is your own. Others are here to guide you and have done the best they could, as who they were at the time. But to create ongoing happiness and true contentment within, you must also learn to be kind to your own self. You are incredibly deserving of love, including your own love.

See yourself as the amazing, unique, beautiful, and capable individual that you truly are. This is who you are, when all of the pain and expectations are removed. It is your right to be happy. It is also your choice.

Become as present as you can. Communicate honestly. Keep doing it until it becomes easier and a more natural part of you. Release expectations of yourself and others. Love who you truly are. You are a beautiful person, with a beautiful heart: a heart that wants to be happy.

The choice is yours. It is simply about developing new habits and learning to allow happiness in. And remember, happiness wants you as much as you want it. It is time to be happy.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    This article is part of a free e-book being released in late 2011 titled "I decided to be happy". It is compiled of articles from several authors. Please keep an eye out for it
    http://inspirationandchai.com/happiness.html
    Hans Christian Anderson

I understood when I decided to start this 'Happiness' thread that many may find it tacky. Actually, it is an effort I started not because of a New Year, but because I am going through some personally difficult times right now.

It just made sense to me that as I try to deal with so many negatives in my life now, I need to search each day for a source of happiness to help me bring a healthy balance for my mental well being. So...if I need the nuggets of happiness...perhaps there may be others also who could use them? So...I decided to share them.

For those of you who find them shallow, insincere, or tacky...your solution is simple. DO NOT READ. For those who may be looking for a reason to feel hopeful, to find your smile for the day, to read something other than negative news....I hope you find something that will help on this thread.

My hope for this thread is that it will not be used to spin either political or religious agendas...just simple reflections and observations on what is good and right in life that we can feel happy about.
    Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    I understood when I decided to start this 'Happiness' thread that many may find it tacky. Actually, it is an effort I started not because of a New Year, but because I am going through some personally difficult times right now.

It just made sense to me that as I try to deal with so many negatives in my life now, I need to search each day for a source of happiness to help me bring a healthy balance for my mental well being. So...if I need the nuggets of happiness...perhaps there may be others also who could use them? So...I decided to share them.

For those of you who find them shallow, insincere, or tacky...your solution is simple. DO NOT READ. For those who may be looking for a reason to feel hopeful, to find your smile for the day, to read something other than negative news....I hope you find something that will help on this thread.

My hope for this thread is that it will not be used to spin either political or religious agendas...just simple reflections and observations on what is good and right in life that we can feel happy about.
    I suspect shallow, insincere, or tacky people might find this thread shallow, insincere, or tacky.
    They might even be nasty about their shallowness, insincerity, or tackiness. Who cares. As Tony Soprano would say....."Forget them".
    Keep up the good work, Helen, and ignore the haters.
    Last edited by Graygleam; 01-24-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Graygleam View Post
    I suspect shallow, insincere, or tacky people might fine this thread shallow, insincere, or tacky.
    They might even be nasty about their shallowness, insincerity, or tackiness. Who cares. As Tony Soprano would say....."Forget them".
    Keep up the good work, Helen, and ignore the haters.
    excellent observation gray.
    _________________________________________________. ..............................................I do not support this ad.

Thank you Gray and Michael for your kind support.

It has been a busy and productive day today, so I am a bit late in my search for happy thoughts for the day. However, I have found them before I turn in this evening.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller

The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.
    James Oppenheim

You only have now. And now. And now. Yesterday is a memory and you cannot change it. Tomorrow is just a fantasy in your mind right now. So live more in the now, focus on the present moment and today. Think and worry less about yesterday and tomorrow. Otherwise you might miss a great deal of happiness that is available to you right now.

We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.
    Frederick Keonig

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.
    Marcel Proust

One of the simplest and quickest ways to turn a negative and sour mood into a more positive one is to be grateful.

A few things you can feel gratitude for are for instance: The sunshine and the weather. Your roof. Your health. A good TV-show, a movie or a song. Your friends, family, co-workers and just about anyone walking down the street.

Just try if for a minute and see how it changes how you feel. And it’s a win/win solution. You feel great because you are grateful about your world and the people you are grateful for feel great too because they feel appreciated. So don’t forget about gratitude or you may forget about the happiness that is already in your life.
    Hans Christian Anderson

The Legacy of Sugihara: How One Japanese Diplomat Saved My Grandfather from the Holocaust and Taught Me the Lesson of Life
    By Mark B. Salomon
    New York University Law Student

"To save one life is to save humanity."
    --Talmud

My life began on March 24, 1989, but my story begins 50 years earlier in war-torn Poland with the border closed and encircled by Nazi storm troopers. Passed down from generation to generation, my ancestors' life stories become part of my own. The main characters are my grandfather, a Polish Jew and Holocaust survivor named Bernard Salomon, and Chiune Sugihara, a Japanese diplomat with absolutely no connection to my family. While my grandfather's journey was a modern-day odyssey, it was the actions of Mr. Sugihara that would influence me in unimaginable ways. At a time when so many turned their backs on the atrocities surrounding them, the Japanese Consul General to Lithuania did the unthinkable simply by listening to his conscience.

How did Sugihara's actions affect me? He taught me that unjust laws must sometimes be broken and discriminatory public policies must be actively fought, for justice to prevail. He demonstrated that one person truly can make a difference. No act of racial or ethnic hatred can be countenanced; indeed, no act is too small or insignificant to be ignored. Whether it is on the playground where a bully taunts another student, in the classroom where disrespect or insensitivity is directed to a learning-disabled child, or on the sports field where an epithet is hurled against the member of a racial minority, each of us must fight on a daily basis the urge to be a bystander. We must take a stand, ever harkening back to the universal lessons of the Holocaust, to fight hatred in all its forms, to teach the insidious consequences of prejudice, and to nurture an understanding that differences among peoples, far from being feared, should be fostered.

Mark's full story can be read here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-b...ir=Good%20News
    Hans Christian Anderson

Being the dog lover than I am, this following story gave me a big smile for this morning:

Abandoned Dog Hired by Police Department

Just over a year ago, a young hound/boxer mix was living at a Greensboro, North Carolina after being abandoned by his owner. His new family says he’s just perfect, and that they can’t imagine a day without him. Sammy’s second chance is the basis for a wonderful rags to riches story that proves anything is possible when potential is recognized and realized. It just took the right man to see it.

That man is Adam Witherspoon with Shiloh K-9, a local facility that specializes in police K-9 training. While Sammy’s owners found him too energetic, Witherspoon said he believed that Sammy was simply misunderstood. “He was very difficult to keep from jumping up on people, mouthing on people. He was a little disruptive,” said Witherspoon.

On a hunch, Witherspoon decided to put Sammy through aptitude testing, and said he was stunned by the outcome. “We had never thought to test this dog to see if he would be suitable for any type of service work, and upon testing him, wow. I mean, his hunt drive was just through the roof,” Witherspoon said.

Sammy showed enough promise to convince Witherspoon to take him in, and after extensive training, a star was born. Sammy was a natural at tracking, and his advanced skills were just good enough to land the former pound occupant a new job as one of the Walnut Cove Police department’s newest crime fighters.
    Witherspoon says that despite his remarkable drive and uncanny abilities, Sammy is an atypical K-9. “He’s a rags-to-riches, you know. There aren’t many times that a K-9 officer pulls up and gets out with a hound boxer mix, but when you watch him work, he demands your respect. He does it so well,” he said.

The rest of the story here: http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2012/01/p...s-shelter-dog/
    Hans Christian Anderson