Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Gonna Talk About The Walgreens Pharmacy Robbery and Others, Recently?!????

Torget Guest

Default Re: Anyone Gonna Talk About The Walgreens Pharmacy Robbery and Others, Recently?!????

I had voiced those same concerns in an earlier post. The problem I am seeing is that when these robberies first started, they would just hand over a note and they would get their drugs. Now, they are still handing a note, but they are also saying they have a gun and using threatening gestures. The next step in escalation is to actuallyy brandish a weapon and then the next is to use it. In one instance, they apparently used a diversionary tactic and called in a bomb threat. All of this escalation is happening even though the pharmacies are being 100% compliant and they are getting their drugs. The pharmacies have not changed their stance as far as I know, yet the robbers seem to be getting more aggresive.

I never said that this was a cure all fix, but I also don't want to wait until people are getting shot to do something either. The glass provides both a deterant and protection. I do not want to see what HH stated happened on the east coast.

There are reactive and proactive approaches to this. I am suggesting a little of both. The glass being a proactive approach by stopping an action from happening, and better cameras and placement of them to capture a better look of the person so they can be caught. Silent alarms would be good too if they don't already have them.

I have also heard that some pharmacies, not sure where they are, have in place a quick drop window or something like that. Where if a person hands over a note or demands drugs, the pharmacy hits a button and the roll up or slide up doors over all windows slam shut in an instant. The robber then cannot get the drugs.
    Last edited by Torget; 02-07-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Add info

HomeyG Guest

Default Re: Anyone Gonna Talk About The Walgreens Pharmacy Robbery and Others, Recently?!????

Quote Originally Posted by Torget View Post
    I had voiced those same concerns in an earlier post. The problem I am seeing is that when these robberies first started, they would just hand over a note and they would get their drugs. Now, they are still handing a note, but they are also saying they have a gun and using threatening gestures. The next step in escalation is to actuallyy brandish a weapon and then the next is to use it. In one instance, they apparently used a diversionary tactic and called in a bomb threat. All of this escalation is happening even though the pharmacies are being 100% compliant and they are getting their drugs. The pharmacies have not changed their stance as far as I know, yet the robbers seem to be getting more aggresive.

I never said that this was a cure all fix, but I also don't want to wait until people are getting shot to do something either. The glass provides both a deterant and protection. I do not want to see what HH stated happened on the east coast.

There are reactive and proactive approaches to this. I am suggesting a little of both. The glass being a proactive approach by stopping an action from happening, and better cameras and placement of them to capture a better look of the person so they can be caught. Silent alarms would be good too if they don't already have them.

I have also heard that some pharmacies, not sure where they are, have in place a quick drop window or something like that. Where if a person hands over a note or demands drugs, the pharmacy hits a button and the roll up or slide up doors over all windows slam shut in an instant. The robber then cannot get the drugs.
    I have no problem with bullet proof glass, in fact, I encourage it. I just don't want people to think these are preventative measures when in reality they are only protective measures. Upgrades of protective measures at bank's drive up windows haven't deterred attempted robberies at these windows, the robbers are just becoming a little more creative.

Torget Guest

Will it prevent robberies? Of course not, I agree that the criminal will get more creative. But, It is a deterant in that it will decrease the number of successful attempts. Well, I should say that is what I believe, because I do not have any stats to support that, just basing it off my knowledge of security. Anything that slows down a perpetrator or makes it more difficult, is a deterant.

You can't prevent, or stop all of the robberis, but there are things that can be done to limit them as well as protect the workers and customers.

There may be a better solution that hasn't been presented or thought of yet.

I am curious though as to why Walgreens has been the major target? There are other pharmacies, CVS, Meijer, Walmart..etc...Yet Walgreens seems to be the pharmacy of choice for the drug thefts. What are they doing differently? I don't see much of a difference between Walgreens and CVS as far as layout or accessability. Is it the camera placement and/or resolution? is it because Walgreens just hands over the drugs and CVS doesn't? I don't know...It would be interesting to see why they are targeting one pharmacy over the others.

Torget I apologize in that, a few posts back, I kinda said the same exact thing you did about the bullet proof glass; I had responded before I saw your post.
    burgundystar

Quote Originally Posted by HomeyG View Post
    You are talking about someone that has all his faculties but we are more likely talking about someone that is a drug user. Depending on what he is on and how high he might be he could be suffering from paranoia, confusion, increased irritability, mood swings and likely he could be under the influence of alcohol. These are not attributes of someone capable of making sound decisions and realize I better get out of here if I don't want to be caught. He usually has only one thing on his mind, get the drugs he needs.
    Well, so far he has been doing just that, and getting away with it, high or not! And they havent caught him yet!-so, if hes high when he does this, either those drugs arent giving him that high of an effect or he's got quite a tolerance build up to drugs!
    burgundystar

[QUOTE=HoosierHelen;85078]The danger with the bullet proof glass is that the robbers may grab innocent customers who are not behind the bullet proof glass protection and stick a gun at their head until the pharmacist gives them what they want. Neither the stores, their customers, or employees who are not working behind the glass want to do anything to increase the possibility of shootings or hostage situations. These type of robbers are much more unstable than a simple shoplifter. They are desperate drug addicts.QUOTE]
    Theyre not going to want to take such a risk and do something that dangerous because that would only give them more prison time, and then they wouldnt have their drugs, at all-they are sober occasionally, I'm sure they do some thinking about these things, the only thought they probably have when robbing is, 'just want to get in, get my drugs and get out so I can go get high', they probably only check the parking lot first, to see if for any reason, an officer is already there, they dont care about other people there, they dont see them as a threat. I still highly doubt that they would take a hostage. I'm sorry, really not trying to be rude.
    Last edited by burgundystar77; 02-09-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Almost got my post mixed in with hers, sorry!
    burgundystar

Quote Originally Posted by HomeyG View Post
    Looks as if we are thinking alike. A simple mask would hide one's identity making the use of an instore camera virtually useless. I would imagine a parking lot camera would be more useful by being able to identify vehicles and possible escape routes.
    Yes, parking lot cameras are a great idea! Really dont mean to be disagreeable today, but..., who would want to walk from the front doors back to the pharmacy, with a full face mask on; they would already look suspicious before they even made it to the pharmacy window, ok unless, they take it in hand and slip down an aisle to put it on, before they get to the pharmacy window.
    And Helen, yes I am glad we dont have it as highly deadly, as what happened on the east coast!
    burgundystar

Will it prevent robberies? Of course not, I agree that the criminal will get more creative. But, It is a deterant in that it will decrease the number of successful attempts. Well, I should say that is what I believe, because I do not have any stats to support that, just basing it off my knowledge of security. Anything that slows down a perpetrator or makes it more difficult, is a deterant.

You can't prevent, or stop all of the robberis, but there are things that can be done to limit them as well as protect the workers and customers.

There may be a better solution that hasn't been presented or thought of yet.

I am curious though as to why Walgreens has been the major target? There are other pharmacies, CVS, Meijer, Walmart..etc...Yet Walgreens seems to be the pharmacy of choice for the drug thefts. What are they doing differently? I don't see much of a difference between Walgreens and CVS as far as layout or accessability. Is it the camera placement and/or resolution? is it because Walgreens just hands over the drugs and CVS doesn't? I don't know...It would be interesting to see why they are targeting one pharmacy over the others.
    They know they would be taking a greater chance at getting caught, in Meijer or Walmar****igger stores, greater number of people.
    burgundystar

Common-Tater Guest

And you call yourself a security guard?
    No, a secuirty guard focuses on working a particular post; typically a gate or a door. A secuirty officer is more mobile, usually performing patrols and safety checks. They also tend to engage in emergency response. A security professional is defined by a level of experience, education, and training above your typical security officer. I conisder myself a security professional.

Sorry, but you just made no sense there at all.
    I didn't see a need to write a massive response. Others seem to have picked up on why bullet proof glass isn't always the best option.

No, no one has been shot, but pleasse, do tell how the guy will still get his drugs if there is glass preventing him from getting to them.
    Bullet proff glass does not typically extend all the way to the floor. Drywall below the counter offers no protection. A bullet through drywall can still be deadly. Also there are often doors left unlocked that a person could easily use to gain access to the pharmacy work space. Others have picked up on the potential for hostage taking and forcing employees to comply through coersion. I'm not saying bullet proof glass is worthless. I'm just saying in this scenario, it doesn't solve the problem.

The glass provides both protection and a deterant. The pharmacy staff would now be protected and would not need to hand over the drugs. They do it now because there is no protection for the staff.
    No, they do it now because that's the policy. Better the pharmacy loose a bag full of drugs than for a customer or employee to end up dead or injured in the store.

Another robbery happened tonight and the guy threatened the pharmacy by saying "Don't make me shoot you". If there had been glass installed, I doubt this would've happened and he would'nt have gotten the drugs. It is a deterant and protection.
    I garantee that even with bullet proof glass, the policy would still be to comply with the robber's requests.
    Last edited by Common-Tater; 02-09-2012 at 01:36 PM.

HomeyG Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    No, a secuirty guard focuses on working a particular post; typically a gate or a door. A secuirty officer is more mobile, usually performing patrols and safety checks. They also tend to engage in emergency response. A security professional is defined by a level of experience, education, and training above your typical security officer. I conisder myself a security professional.

I didn't see a need to write a massive response. Others seem to have picked up on why bullet proof glass isn't always the best option.

Bullet proff glass does not typically extend all the way to the floor. Drywall below the counter offers no protection. A bullet through drywall can still be deadly. Also there are often doors left unlocked that a person could easily use to gain access to the pharmacy work space. Others have picked up on the potential for hostage taking and forcing employees to comply through coersion. I'm not saying bullet proof glass is worthless. I'm just saying in this scenario, it doesn't solve the problem.

No, they do it now because that's the policy. Better the pharmacy loose a bag full of drugs than for a customer or employee to end up dead or injured in the store.

I garantee that even with bullet proof glass, the policy would still be to comply with the robber's requests.
    It's my understanding that even at banks that have drive up windows encased in bullet proof glass the policy is, if necessary give them what they want, do not jeopardize the life of an employee or customer and to prevent the possible taking of a hostage.

So, have we come up with the solution yet? I've noticed I hadnt heard of anymore robberies for awhile, that's actually kinda odd; how much did they take off with, wouldnt they be running out right about now?-or before now....hhhmmm, not that I'm provoking it, just saying.
    burgundystar

Quote Originally Posted by burgundystar77 View Post
    So, have we come up with the solution yet? I've noticed I hadnt heard of anymore robberies for awhile, that's actually kinda odd; how much did they take off with, wouldnt they be running out right about now?-or before now....hhhmmm, not that I'm provoking it, just saying.
    You know Mary, I just had a discussion about this same topic yesterday with my husband. Funny you bring it up today. The robber seemed to be most desperate to make such bold robberies and then....poof...he's gone? Perhaps he got enough to hold him over with his addiction for a while? Or...we could try to be more positive about this and believe his family got him into rehab?

If we don't hear of anymore of these robberies, I'm going to hope he got help. If he didn't, he will surely surface again.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Maybe they have been arrested already . If you do a Google search for Walgreens Pharmacy Robbery
    in Indiana, you see many of them. Here is a recent one.

http://www.fwdailynews.com/index.php...ticle&id=16177

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeel View Post
    Maybe they have been arrested already . If you do a Google search for Walgreens Pharmacy Robbery
    in Indiana, you see many of them. Here is a recent one.

http://www.fwdailynews.com/index.php...ticle&id=16177
    I had seen that article earlier. The robber that I believe Mary and I were discussing is the one that robbed the Walgreen's at Coldwater and Dupont and also seemed to have called in the bomb scare for the WalMart on Coldwater road so he could rob the Scotts pharmacy on N. Clinton. I thought these robberies were committed by a white male? Perhaps it is the same robber? All robberies were specifically for the drug Opana. They didn't list these other 2 robberies in that article.

Suppose if we all stay tuned...we will find out.
    Hans Christian Anderson

Common-Tater Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    I had seen that article earlier. The robber that I believe Mary and I were discussing is the one that robbed the Walgreen's at Coldwater and Dupont and also seemed to have called in the bomb scare for the WalMart on Coldwater road so he could rob the Scotts pharmacy on N. Clinton. I thought these robberies were committed by a white male? Perhaps it is the same robber? All robberies were specifically for the drug Opana. They didn't list these other 2 robberies in that article.

Suppose if we all stay tuned...we will find out.
    It is, of course, possible that the suspect was arrested for an unrelated crime. As is often the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    It is, of course, possible that the suspect was arrested for an unrelated crime. As is often the case.
    True...I do hope they will eventually tell us what is the REST OF THE STORY. Currently, I do not know if there is still another pharmacy robber out there who will potentially rob another Walgreens for Opana or not? I do realize we are vulnerable to NEW robbers of our pharmacies, however, how many are still out there that are experienced at this?

Not sure if you remember or not Tater, but last year in the late summer, I drove by our local CVS in Leo on my way home from work. I wanted to stop in and pick up a few items...could not do this because they had yellow tape and cops all around the parking lot. I drove by there every day on my way home from work. Next day, a clerk that I know explained that they had been robbed at their pharmacy and that is why they were closed. I don't know what drug that robber focused on....I do know he was arrested a few weeks later. Yet the robbery was not reported in ANY news stories until he was arrested. That robbery not being reported always has caused me to wonder how many others go unreported?
    Hans Christian Anderson

Another robber in the Fort, and its Opana again.

Common-Tater Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    True...I do hope they will eventually tell us what is the REST OF THE STORY. Currently, I do not know if there is still another pharmacy robber out there who will potentially rob another Walgreens for Opana or not? I do realize we are vulnerable to NEW robbers of our pharmacies, however, how many are still out there that are experienced at this?

Not sure if you remember or not Tater, but last year in the late summer, I drove by our local CVS in Leo on my way home from work. I wanted to stop in and pick up a few items...could not do this because they had yellow tape and cops all around the parking lot. I drove by there every day on my way home from work. Next day, a clerk that I know explained that they had been robbed at their pharmacy and that is why they were closed. I don't know what drug that robber focused on....I do know he was arrested a few weeks later. Yet the robbery was not reported in ANY news stories until he was arrested. That robbery not being reported always has caused me to wonder how many others go unreported?
    This might be due to papers often calling the police station and simply asking if there has been anything newsworthy. The sergeant at the desk will always say "No." If they don't do a little more leg work than that, most stories will never be known. (This was the case when I spent a couple years as a Michigan State Police Explorer). The people who answer the phones at police stations do not have the authority to report "anything newsworthy."

Maybe they got the guy who has been robbing the drug stores.
    http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/ne...156896085.html

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeel View Post
    Maybe they got the guy who has been robbing the drug stores.
    http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/ne...156896085.html
    Sure would be nice if this arrest would put an end to these robberies...yet it does seem there is an unending line of new people willing to rob our drug stores.
    Hans Christian Anderson