Thread: Steuben county hates the environment

Default Steuben county hates the environment

The United States E.P.A. has ordered Steuben County to pay a civil penalty of $13,750 as part of the resolution to the 2008 dredging at Terry Lake near Hamilton which violated the Federal Clean Water Act.

The County also has to pay over $82,000 to restore the wetlands

It's the third time in the last four years that the E.P.A. has fined the County

Steuben County agreed to pay a civil penalty of over $31,000 last June over the filling of a wetland on Harcourt Road

the person(s) responsible should be fired and/or have to pay back the $126,750+ made in screw-ups. i'm sure there could be an automatic payroll deduction set up.

it's also possible they purposely went and did the work knowing they would be fined anyways.
    _________________________________________________. ..............................................I do not support this ad.

Bookworm Champion!

Default Re: Steuben county hates the environment

I agree! It is clear that someone is uncompitent / unqualified for their postion. If it was done, knowing it was wrong, the fine should be increased even more!
    You either get it or you don't. The unfortunate thing is, most don't.

Quote Originally Posted by michael medeski View Post
    the person(s) responsible should be fired and/or have to pay back the $126,750+ made in screw-ups. i'm sure there could be an automatic payroll deduction set up.

it's also possible they purposely went and did the work knowing they would be fined anyways.
    It must be a republican thing, our mayor did something similar, and they just had to buy some wetlands elsewhere to be compliant. They say it is the cost of doing business!

Quote Originally Posted by krazetrain View Post
    If it was done, knowing it was wrong, the fine should be increased even more!
    if they knowingly broke the law i think jail time would be appropriate.
    _________________________________________________. ..............................................I do not support this ad.

Your article says this is the 3rd time in the last 4 years that the EPA has fined the County.

It seems to me that those who manage this repeated faulty decision process needs to be examined. For all of us who work in the private sector, we are held accountable for poor decisions made at our work places. Should any of us intentionally cause harm and/or loss of assets to our employer, we can reasonably expect legal charges to be brought against us.

This situation deserves close examination by a 3rd party. The results of that examination and the corrective actions taken needs to be made public.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    Your article says this is the 3rd time in the last 4 years that the EPA has fined the County.

It seems to me that those who manage this repeated faulty decision process needs to be examined. For all of us who work in the private sector, we are held accountable for poor decisions made at our work places. Should any of us intentionally cause harm and/or loss of assets to our employer, we can reasonably expect legal charges to be brought against us.

This situation deserves close examination by a 3rd party. The results of that examination and the corrective actions taken needs to be made public.
    i find it ironic that someone could get arrested for using salt on the sidewalks, yet nothing happens to the people that destroy wetlands.

it's good to know they got their priorities straight.

i find it ironic that someone could get arrested for using salt on the sidewalks, yet nothing happens to the people that destroy wetlands.

it's good to know they got their priorities straight.
    You are making some good points Michael.

Do you know who (or what department) is in charge of making these decisions in Steuben County? This is a considerable amount of taxpayer's money that has been lost. I suppose it could also be possible that the EPA is not being clear in their regulations or may be excessive in their penalties. Perhaps our local media could provide us with a story on this topic? It would be helpful to better understand the problems occurring that is leading to these extra costs.
    Hans Christian Anderson

Perhaps our local media could provide us with a story on this topic? It would be helpful to better understand the problems occurring that is leading to these extra costs.
    We've done a few.

http://www.kpcnews.com/index.php?opt...ticle&id=20916
    http://www.kpcnews.com/index.php?opt...ticle&id=10127
    http://www.kpcnews.com/archives/kpclegacy.php?id=68158
    http://www.kpcnews.com/archives/kpclegacy.php?id=60561
    http://www.kpcnews.com/archives/kpclegacy.php?id=40147
    http://www.kpcnews.com/archives/kpclegacy.php?id=1176

Wow! KPC has covered this topic very well for quite some time. Michael, I recommend reading these links, they are very informative. Corrective measures have been taken and thankfully the $150,000 fine was successfully negotiated down.

Thanks James for the links, I should have done my homework before assuming it had not been covered. I don't generally follow the news for Steuben County with as much interest as I do for DeKalb County.
    Hans Christian Anderson

Michael, I recommend reading these links, they are very informative.

I don't generally follow the news for Steuben County with as much interest as I do for DeKalb County.
    i have. i also read this.....

http://www.kpcnews.net/fence_post/******.ounty-Surveyor

i just can't comprehend how he still has a job especially seeing how it's happened more than once.

BTW, it did have an impact on dekalb county as well.

i have. i also read this.....

http://www.kpcnews.net/fence_post/******.ounty-Surveyor

i just can't comprehend how he still has a job especially seeing how it's happened more than once.

BTW, it did have an impact on dekalb county as well.
    That is an interesting link also Michael. Looks like there is a lot of history behind this story.
    Hans Christian Anderson

One of biggest reasons a lot of us live in the Northern Indiana lake region is the pristine beauty of nature. If we wanted strip malls, billboards, car lots, etc......we would move to a more urban environment.

We need to protect what we have. It could disappear in a flash.