Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Letter to the Editor - Medicare

Default Letter to the Editor - Medicare

In the 2/12/2012 issue of The Star there is a letter to the editor that has caught my attention. I have not ever drawn Medicare yet and am not well informed on how it does work.

In this letter it says that after age 65, Medicare is free, however, before age 65, it can cost thousands. I had thought that those on Social Security and who are 65 or over need to pay something for their Medicare coverage? I've also heard of the need for Supplemental Medicare coverage. Because I am not very far from entering into this program, this has got my attention. Does anyone have a recommended link that carries accurate and current information on these programs?

I'm certain there are many between the ages of 62 - 64 who are drawing Social Security and cannot afford thousands a month for health insurance.

http://www.kpcnews.com/index.php?opt...itor&Itemid=20
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Default Re: Letter to the Editor - Medicare

Searching through KPC's archives, I was able to find a link to a program called HIP. It seems for those between 19-64 who are low income may qualify for insurance after they have paid the first $1,100 in medical expenses. I'm certain that would be a great help for those previous to qualifying for Medicare with health insurance needs. This link also carries info on other assistance programs. My interests are in what medical coverage is available for those who can't afford thousands a month in health care premiums.

http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/h..._programs.html
    Hans Christian Anderson

HomeyG Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    In the 2/12/2012 issue of The Star there is a letter to the editor that has caught my attention. I have not ever drawn Medicare yet and am not well informed on how it does work.

In this letter it says that after age 65, Medicare is free, however, before age 65, it can cost thousands. I had thought that those on Social Security and who are 65 or over need to pay something for their Medicare coverage? I've also heard of the need for Supplemental Medicare coverage. Because I am not very far from entering into this program, this has got my attention. Does anyone have a recommended link that carries accurate and current information on these programs?

I'm certain there are many between the ages of 62 - 64 who are drawing Social Security and cannot afford thousands a month for health insurance.

http://www.kpcnews.com/index.php?opt...itor&Itemid=20
    Here is a government link to publication on medicare services for 2012. Just to correct a few misstatements in the letter. I pay a monthly premium of $99.90, this is one top of the medicare payments made my myself and my employer since 1966, so it's not exactly free. I was curious as to what the cost of today's healthcare premium and where they came up with thousands of dollars in monthly premium. I found a USA Today story that quoted premiums as much as $13000+ annually. A little more research and I found out that was for the State of New York whereas premiums for Iowa was around $6,000, still high but not as bad a USA Today would lead you to believe. Also, these were worst case scenarios for those in the 60-64 age brackets, for the young it was much less and went up progressively as you get older. The more that the federal government mandates coverage you can anticipate premiums going up much higher.

http://www.medicare.gov/publications/pubs/pdf/10050.pdf
    Last edited by HomeyG; 02-12-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: added link

Thanks for the link Homey. Exactly the info I was looking for.
    Hans Christian Anderson

Bookworm Champion!

The following is about Indiana House bill 1269 & medicare/medicade coverage here in Indiana.
    It seems that the legislators here, would like to forgo medicare and provide their own "state run " plan. What are your thoughts about this billl? I am worried that Hoosiers will end up will less coverage with a state run plan. That along with the fact, that the same people who want to invoke THEIR religeous beliefs in our schools, would be making decisions that would affect us, in regards to our benefits/ procedures. This bill may be voted on tomorrow. I am sure glad that RTW was a more important issue to our legislators than this bill! I am beginning to think that it is time to leave this fool-hardy state.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/.../HB1269.1.html
    You either get it or you don't. The unfortunate thing is, most don't.

Common-Tater Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    In this letter it says that after age 65, Medicare is free, however, before age 65, it can cost thousands.
    Depends on how you look at it. I'm sure it costs tax payers like me billions a year. I can't afford health insurance for me and my son because I have to pay for someone elses. I think if a person can prove that they can't afford health insurance that they should be exempt from paying into medicare.

Bookworm Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    Depends on how you look at it. I'm sure it costs tax payers like me billions a year. I can't afford health insurance for me and my son because I have to pay for someone elses.
    Yep! Like your parents, possibly. or your grandparents. It costs you billions, but you cannot afford health insurance? Voting for the GOP will solve all of you problems.

Common-Tater Guest

Quote Originally Posted by krazetrain View Post
    Yep! Like your parents, possibly. or your grandparents. It costs you billions, but you cannot afford health insurance? Voting for the GOP will solve all of you problems.
    I was talking about tax payers in general. Not anyone individually. Don't play with my words.

Bookworm Champion!

FYI Social Security taxes are withheld from people's wages up to $109,700. At that time, wage earners have capped out and pay nothing towards SS on any wages or income above that amount. Someone making $110,000 a year pays the same amount towards SS as someone who make a $500,000 a year. That needs to change! Also if you own a S corporation there are many ways to avoid paying SS from your wages. Check out this link about how corporations are able to avoid an individual paying SS by having low wages but big dividends and bonuses. This is not about class warfare, it is about fairness!

http://www.businessmanagementdaily.c...and-trim-taxes
    Last edited by krazetrain; 02-14-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Bookworm Champion!

I was talking about tax payers in general. Not anyone individually. Don't play with my words.
    Then don't say them, please.

Common-Tater Guest

FYI Social Security taxes are withheld from people's wages up to $109,700. At that time, wage earners have capped out and pay nothing towards SS on any wages or income above that amount. Someone making $110,000 a year pays the same amount towards SS as someone who make a $500,000 a year. That needs to change! Also if you own a S corporation there are many ways to avoid paying SS from your wages. Check out this link about how corporations are able to avoid an individual paying SS by having low wages but big dividends and bonuses. This is not about class warfare, it is about fairness!
    Everyone over 60K household income should pay the same. That's fair. Just because someone earns more doens't mean they should pay more.

The following is about Indiana House bill 1269 & medicare/medicade coverage here in Indiana.
    It seems that the legislators here, would like to forgo medicare and provide their own "state run " plan. What are your thoughts about this billl? I am worried that Hoosiers will end up will less coverage with a state run plan. That along with the fact, that the same people who want to invoke THEIR religeous beliefs in our schools, would be making decisions that would affect us, in regards to our benefits/ procedures. This bill may be voted on tomorrow. I am sure glad that RTW was a more important issue to our legislators than this bill! I am beginning to think that it is time to leave this fool-hardy state.

This makes absolutely NO sense to me. I have worked in several different states over the past 40+ yrs. All of my employers have paid into Medicare on my behalf. I believe there is a lesser percent that has been deducted from my salaries for the same. NOW, bright boy Daniels comes into power in Indiana and decides that those premiums that have been paid towards my Medicare costs all my life will be ignored and the State of Indiana will now dictate that my coverage will be determined by him and his cronies in the State House. I suppose the next thing will be he will create new rules and take over my Social Security benefits also.

Wonder how this will work for the Hoosiers who spend 6 mo in Indiana and 6 mo in Florida each year?

It feels to me that the Republican party who has always claimed they want 'limited government' is promoting micro management of my life and not for my benefit.
    Last edited by HoosierHelen; 02-15-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    Hans Christian Anderson

Todd Ianuzzi Guest

Kraze,

I am beginning to think like you, that Indiana is a fool-hardy state. I left in 1999. Frank O' Bannon was governor and the adults were in charge. I come back in 2010 to and the John Birch Society had taken over.

I looked at the bill yoiu posted and immediately smelled a rat, or more precisely, ALEC, the American Legislative Exchange Council.

ALEC is a very conservative organization that drafts model legislation for conservative legislators. This law, which Alec says has bee enacted, was drafted by ALEC. But it has not been enacted and will likely go nowhere.The preamble to the bill is a gross misstatement of the constitutional principles and federalism. And the law requires consent of the US Congress, which it will never get.

Ain't God been good to Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Ianuzzi View Post
    Kraze,

I am beginning to think like you, that Indiana is a fool-hardy state. I left in 1999. Frank O' Bannon was governor and the adults were in charge. I come back in 2010 to and the John Birch Society had taken over.

I looked at the bill yoiu posted and immediately smelled a rat, or more precisely, ALEC, the American Legislative Exchange Council.

ALEC is a very conservative organization that drafts model legislation for conservative legislators. This law, which Alec says has bee enacted, was drafted by ALEC. But it has not been enacted and will likely go nowhere.The preamble to the bill is a gross misstatement of the constitutional principles and federalism. And the law requires consent of the US Congress, which it will never get.

Ain't God been good to Indiana.
    There's an easy fix to these problems: We need to quit electing and appointing fundamentalist, superstitious, myth-believing dimwits into positions that can negatively affect our society.
    “People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Todd Ianuzzi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bigkneedgal View Post
    There's an easy fix to these problems: We need to quit electing and appointing fundamentalist, superstitious, myth-believing dimwits into positions that can negatively affect our society.
    Roger that.

Bookworm Champion!

I agree! The problem is, that so many people, are so enamored with Mitch Daniels and the rest of his ilk, that they blindly throw their support to the fascist overlords. As stated in another thread, Indiana is becoming a laughing stock! I imagine companies will want to come here to locate their factories, being as our elected elite showing them that the people in this state are gullible enough to believe anything. Anything that the rulers spoon feed them, that is. Each and every bill being offered by these GOP rulers in Indy, are taking us to the far left. Come on Hoosiers, wake up!

Everyone over 60K household income should pay the same. That's fair. Just because someone earns more doens't mean they should pay more.
    The genius of the Republican Party. Convince someone making 35K a year that people making big bucks should not pay more.

Common-Tater Guest

It'll never happen. How many Presidents have been Christians vs. Non-Christian?

Common-Tater Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Graygleam View Post
    The genius of the Republican Party. Convince someone making 35K a year that people making big bucks should not pay more.
    Try convincing that person who makes less than 35K to think the same when when he starts making more than 35K.

Try convincing that person who makes less than 35K to think the same when when he starts making more than 35K.
    I understand why people making the big bucks are Republican.