Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: make way for the overseerer's

1. Default Re: make way for the overseerer's

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    Army...I'm pretty sure you recognize that the murder done this past Dec to our little girl,Aliahna Lemmon, in the trailer park outside FW was NOT done by a veteran suffering from multiple tours of duty in intense war zones in the MidEast. How in the heck you can drag her murder or Andrew Brebriert, JFK and MLK into the murders that just occurred in Afghanistan and our soldier who was on his 4th tour of duty in an intense war zone escapes my understanding. I see absolutely NO comparison.

Please feel free to compare these events to me? I will listen to your logic...right now it escapes me. Was our soldier wrong? OF COURSE! Was he functioning under his right mind? I do not know?
    Helen,

Very simple, You are trying to justify the murder of 16 people while condemning one in this country. You are right, I don't know the history, the mental condition of the killer in Afghanistan. The same thing can be said for the history and mental condition of the killer here. Why do you immediately try to justify one while condemning the other?

I see 2 killers. End of story.
    that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Default Re: make way for the overseerer's

Quote Originally Posted by armyda View Post
    Helen,

Very simple, You are trying to justify the murder of 16 people while condemning one in this country. You are right, I don't know the history, the mental condition of the killer in Afghanistan. The same thing can be said for the history and mental condition of the killer here. Why do you immediately try to justify one while condemning the other?

You say you see 2 killers. I also see 2 killers. The difference is that I see Aliahna Lemmon's killer as a child molester with a record, who brutally killed a little girl to prevent her from testifying against him. TRUE...these are my assumptions...based on some obvious evidence. Our courts will bare witness on the truths of this case.

Army, I have always respected your objective views as our moderator here, yet, I find myself surprised to recognize you do not see the possibility we have a soldier that may have had a nervous breakdown during his 4th tour of duty in very intense war zones. Human beings do have limitations. We are not made of concrete and steel. What he has done is horrible. Is it possible that what our country required of him is also horrible? Let the jury decide. Unfortunately because of the international politics that are involved...the cards are NOT stacked in his favor. Can you and others please give him credit for 3 tours of duty served honorably under immense stress? Look up the history of scape goats. It is most enlightening.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Todd Ianuzzi Guest

Default Re: make way for the overseerer's

Quote Originally Posted by armyda View Post
    Helen,

The standard for the insanity defense in the military justice system is very hard to establish. It is basically the old Mc'Naughten standard from the 1843 English case which only excuses an offender is he cannot appreciate the wrongfulness of his act. This standard can almost never be reached. And even if the killer is suffering from PTSD, it will not arise to a level that could excuse his conduct under the applicable test.

I saw an article that many Americans are willing to cut the man a break. But imagine a soldier from another nation is serving in this country on a joint mission of for training purposes. If such a solder committed such acts we would demand that the US justice system try him and he be punished to the fullest extent of the law. If any attempt were made to remove him from the country and try him under his own military justice system, there would be an outrage and military actions to block the removal.

I beleive he should be prosecuted under the applicable rules of military justice and punished in accordance with those provisions.