Thread: State Representative Morris is back. Paranoid and delusional as Heck

Todd Ianuzzi Guest

Default State Representative Morris is back. Paranoid and delusional as Heck

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...=all#pagebreak

Some more from this waste of organic chemicals:

Nothing short of the destruction of our faith and values would satisfy progressives. We have been left with no choice but to refuse to cede even one more inch of ground in this bloody culture war. The time for resolve is now.

What would satisfy me is Morris losing the next election.

Default Re: State Representative Morris is back. Paranoid and delusional as Heck

See? This is what disturbs me the most about politically active evangelicals. They are the new Amish. I get it, they think the rest of us aren't Christian enough. Okay. Whatever.

You can choose to stay away from me and associate only with those who hold to your own (somewhat conflicting) standards. You can educate your kid at home. You can sign your daughter up for the American Heritage Girls instead of those "perversion advocators", the Girl Scouts. You can buy her a stupid $99.50 Girls 'n' Grace doll because the toy company you want to rip off (American Girl) "embraces lesbianism". What?* You can cough encourage cough the girls in your family to stay home, shut up, and keep covered. It's up to you whether you want to use birth control and how you want to pay for it too. I don't care. You can have your silly little email loops where you share all the stupid things that are so ridiculous that you are ashamed for the rest of us to see. Go ahead, bury your head in the sand. Don't listen to fact. Don't bother listening to ANYONE who has a different idea from yours. Be as ill-informed as you want. Vote your beliefs too. Sure. Tell your like-minded friends to vote your beliefs as well. I am seriosuly okay with that.

All I'm asking is this: Don't try to prosletyze to me through my government

*In 2005 American Girl ran a brief promotion selling wristbands that said I Can on them. 70% of the profit from these bands went to three specific Girls, Inc programs that supported "building girls' skills in science and math, developing leadership skills, and encouraging athletic skills and team spirit."

3. Default Re: State Representative Morris is back. Paranoid and delusional as Heck

Quote Originally Posted by edeevee View Post
    See? This is what disturbs me the most about politically active evangelicals. They are the new Amish. I get it, they think the rest of us aren't Christian enough. Okay. Whatever.

All I'm asking is this: Don't try to prosletyze to me through my government
    Please point out to me a politically active Amish person or show me an instance of Amish attempting to impose their beliefs and customs on others?
    that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Default Re: State Representative Morris is back. Paranoid and delusional as Heck

Quote Originally Posted by armyda View Post
    Please point out to me a politically active Amish person or show me an instance of Amish attempting to impose their beliefs and customs on others?
    Sorry, Army, I wondered if I was being clear enough - obviously not. What I mean is that the amish cloister themselves; they limit contact with people who are not of their faith because (I am supposing) they don't want to be tainted by the ways of the world. I am okay with that. And no, they are not politically active nor do they impose their belief on others.

The evangelicals though, they want it both ways. They cloister, they isolate and insulate themselves against anyone who thinks differently than they do -- but that's not enough for them. It's not just that they 'want' the rest of us to see the light, they 'demand' that the world bend to them and their way of thinking. I'm willing to put up with a certain amount of that, but I will not stand by and watch my government be eroded to suit their desires.

It's a sticky point with me lately. Not just because of Morris and his whacked ideas about Girl Scouts though that certainly has my dander up. And before I abandon that subject, I challenge Rep Morris to name one, JUST ONE, girl who has ever had an abortion or changed her sexual identity because of something she learned at a Girl Scout meeting.

Something else happened a week or so ago. A conservative friend, someone who I both like and admire, posted a comment on a social media site about the young college woman who testified before congress about contraception. My friend's point was (I guess) that since the law school she went to was very expensive, very difficult to get into, and often leads to its graduates making very large salaries, that Ms. Fluke should not have an opinion about who pays for birth control -- and she should shut up and go to Planned Parenthood. It sounded like the kind of thing that circulates in those secret email loops that conservatives are so fond of. BTW, if you wonder how I know about them, I have a lot of conservative friends, sometimes they forget to take my name off the list before they hit 'send'. But back to my friend's post about Ms. Fluke ...

One of her other friends posted, disparaging Planned Parenthood. I felt compelled to answer back since I've BEEN to Planned Parenthood, as a scared teen with a harmless (non-sexually related) infection, as a young married woman who needed help with affordable contraception, and as a soon-to-be mom who took advantage of their free birth and baby care classes. What ensued was a lively discussion in which I learned a few things and (I felt) the other participants might have learned a thing or two too. We hadn't come to an agreement but we moved closer to a healthy understanding of each other's beliefs.

And then *POOF!* the original comment and everything that followed disappeared. My friend deleted it. I don't know why. But I think it is sad that we can't have polite but spirited discourse any more. The lines are drawn by people like Representative Morris, who make good people feel less Christian if they entertain another set of ideas -- and who doom us all to ignorance in the process.

Rant over.

Maybe.

Well thought out, and right on the mark, Edeevee.

Edeevee, I understand and have been there many times...trying to have a civil discussion with a conservative evangelical friend or relative. Once they realize that I have a different opinion on a topic, the discussion quickly ends in their abrupt silence. The best I can hope for is the thought I have expressed may possibly be reflected on later.

Discussions between strangers on internet forums such as this and others don't go silent so quickly. In fact those can escalate to ugly very rapidly. Seems to be easier to become aggressive and rude when we can remain anonymous.

At any rate, I sincerely hope we do not see Morris reelected. It is my opinion that his lines are blurred between his personal values and his professional responsibilities as a representative for his district.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

7. Default Re: State Representative Morris is back. Paranoid and delusional as Heck

edeevee,

Thank you for your response. Your initial statement did appear to be making a direct correlation between those christian evangelicals and the Amish. With the Amish it was a simple matter to see the error of a comparison. With other groups it may not be so easy to see that because the difference isn't so blatant.

Also, I felt that the Amish deserved someone to speak up for them. In addition to their beliefs, this is an Internet forum, which makes it unlikely for them to be posting on here. So pardon me for aggressively speaking up on their behalf.
    that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Quote Originally Posted by armyda View Post
    edeevee,

Thank you for your response. Your initial statement did appear to be making a direct correlation between those christian evangelicals and the Amish. With the Amish it was a simple matter to see the error of a comparison. With other groups it may not be so easy to see that because the difference isn't so blatant.

Also, I felt that the Amish deserved someone to speak up for them. In addition to their beliefs, this is an Internet forum, which makes it unlikely for them to be posting on here. So pardon me for aggressively speaking up on their behalf.
    Thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify. At the risk of sounding cliche, I have friends who are Amish. I like them very much and respect their beliefs. I like my evangelical conservative friends too, I just get frustrated by them and I worry about the damage they do by listening only to each other. Mirror, mirror on the wall who's the fairest of them all? Asking people who think exactly like you do only gets you the truth in fairy tales.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    Edeevee, I understand and have been there many times...trying to have a civil discussion with a conservative evangelical friend or relative. Once they realize that I have a different opinion on a topic, the discussion quickly ends in their abrupt silence. The best I can hope for is the thought I have expressed may possibly be reflected on later.

Discussions between strangers on internet forums such as this and others don't go silent so quickly. In fact those can escalate to ugly very rapidly. Seems to be easier to become aggressive and rude when we can remain anonymous.

At any rate, I sincerely hope we do not see Morris reelected. It is my opinion that his lines are blurred between his personal values and his professional responsibilities as a representative for his district.
    I think we do better here than a lot of forums. Thanks, in large parts, to people like you and Gray and army!

Web Rumors about the Girl Scouts in Alaska...............

http://www.adn.com/2012/04/05/240975...ylink=misearch

Rep.Wes Keller proves you don't have to be from Indiana to be a nut.