Thread: Lying about Cancer

Default Lying about Cancer

http://www.kpcnews.com/index.php?opt...id=79#comments

I find this to be very disturbing, that someone would Fake such a serious illness.
    Having watched my friend lay dying for just over a week in her final days on this earth,
    and having four family members lose their hard fought battle with Cancer. I for one
    hope they give this girl the maximum punishment allowed by law.
    Nothing that happens will fully rectify the emotions that she put her friends and family through.
    Yes it is great that she is actually going to live, she will be judged in time.
    Open your eyes...............
    Don't go another day through life blindly
    !

Default Re: Lying about Cancer

Very sad if true. She had many posts on her FB wall about it. Even picture of her with no hair. She is not a friend of mine,this is a public page. If my posting the link is wrong, please remove it.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...647484&sk=wall

This was really a shock for me to see this morning. My band, along with several others, volunteered its time for this benefit, and we were all completely fooled. I left there encouraged by the great turnout only to have my warm fuzzies crapped on by a thief.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” –George Carlin

This is a horrible crime. Think of all those out there that are in sincere need to treat their cancer.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

The tragedy is how it will affect people who really do need the help. Will those who were willing to help before now decide not to?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbass View Post
    The tragedy is how it will affect people who really do need the help. Will those who were willing to help before now decide not to?
    Very true. Part of her penalty for this crime should be x amount of volunteer hours providing care for those dying of cancer. Cleaning their bed pans, Cleaning their homes or nursing home rooms, just providing for their everyday general needs (nothing medical related).
    Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    Very true. Part of her penalty for this crime should be x amount of volunteer hours providing care for those dying of cancer. Cleaning their bed pans, Cleaning their homes or nursing home rooms, just providing for their everyday general needs (nothing medical related).
    Great idea HH, imagine the lessons they would learn?

A Pleasant Lake woman who has stage 4 melanoma donated $1,000 to Landis benefit; says she wants the money to go to the Steuben County Cancer Association. (Subscription required.)

http://www.kpcnews.com/index.php?opt...ticle&id=30137

Quote Originally Posted by bigbass View Post
    It certainly could make you cynical. On the other hand, I have participated in dozens of similar benefits/fundraisers over the years and this is the first one that I am aware of where something like this has happened. I will continue to be there when asked, but I will probably ask more questions going forward.

April certainly did "sell it" though. She fooled everyone pretty thoroughly. When she gets out of jail she might consider a career as an actress.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” –George Carlin

Now I am reading on facebook that many caring individuals even got tatoo's put on
    in remembrance of this girl. Now every time they look at their Tatoo, what a bitter
    memory it will give them from the lies. I guarantee no one wanted to see this young woman die.
    But to basically make a mockery of all the actual sufferers of this disease is just totally inexcusable!
    I certainly hope that our justice system doesn't fail us on this one.
    !

Quote Originally Posted by hideaway70 View Post
    It certainly could make you cynical. On the other hand, I have participated in dozens of similar benefits/fundraisers over the years and this is the first one that I am aware of where something like this has happened. I will continue to be there when asked, but I will probably ask more questions going forward.

April certainly did "sell it" though. She fooled everyone pretty thoroughly. When she gets out of jail she might consider a career as an actress.
    Hideaway, I'm glad you hear that you won't let this stop you from being there when the need is real. Also want to say that I respect you and all the others who step up and offer their talents in time of need. It is within these kind acts of generous giving that I find my roots of hope for all of us.
    Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by hideaway70 View Post
    I'm curious what the husband's role (if any) was in all of this. Did she fool him as well, or was he complicit?

This was certainly a surprise. When I first bought my house back in 1987 she and her family lived right across the street from us so they were our neighbors. We were so saddened when we read the news in the paper about her having cancer and being given little time to live, and now I guess I'm at a loss for words after reading the latest article about what she has done.

!

Today's posting shows a different picture of her and an updated story. What interests me in this story is the WHY did she feel justified to pull such a scam? I also am concerned for her children and the fall out they may experience from their community from their mother's bad judgment. They do not deserve to be judged by their Mother's poor judgment. Actually, they deserve more support and good instruction toward the importance of ethical problem solving. They need to experience a community who can embrace them with acceptance, understanding and a willingness to help them understand why good ethics will carry them forward into a much more solid life experience than they have lived so far.

Perhaps this will be one time when the Mother will be capable of learning a life lesson from her children and her community if this is handled properly. No...I do not for a minute believe the mother should escape the penalty of her crime. I'm simply hopeful on the other side, when she finishes paying for her crime both she and her family will have learned why compassion for real people in need in our communities is so very important. Why violating that trust is so very harmful for those in true need. And finally...why good ethics being lived in our lives can make such a positive difference in our communities and also a positive difference in our own life experience.

http://www.kpcnews.com/index.php?opt...ticle&id=30684
    Last edited by HoosierHelen; 03-31-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Hans Christian Anderson

I think whatever community service she gets that's included in her punishment, should be taking care of cancer victim's. Should the Husband be charged too? He also had to of known this was a scam.

I have been curious about the husband's knowledge in this scam of hers also, Racefan. With no reports yet of his involvement, I do not feel comfortable hammering his name up with hers on the 'guilty' poster. In all honesty, she hasn't been found yet legally guilty...yet the evidence so far is not in her favor.

Perhaps the legal system will ignore the father's knowledge of the scam so that the children will retain one parent to raise them? I certainly do not know...yet...I appreciate any efforts the community can make to protect and educate these children toward better values for themselves and their future decisions. IF as a community, we can find it within ourselves to not lay blame on these children for their Mother's bad judgment, I will be most grateful.
    Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    I have been curious about the husband's knowledge in this scam of hers also, Racefan. With no reports yet of his involvement, I do not feel comfortable hammering his name up with hers on the 'guilty' poster. In all honesty, she hasn't been found yet legally guilty...yet the evidence so far is not in her favor.

Perhaps the legal system will ignore the father's knowledge of the scam so that the children will retain one parent to raise them? I certainly do not know...yet...I appreciate any efforts the community can make to protect and educate these children toward better values for themselves and their future decisions. IF as a community, we can find it within ourselves to not lay blame on these children for their Mother's bad judgment, I will be most grateful.
    I'm not saying he's guilty, I just don't know how he couldn't have known about her falsly claiming to have cancer. And I certainly know how some facts in the newspaper are not always correct.