Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Bully

  1. #1
    Common-Tater Guest

    Default Bully

    I think every school board member in this region should go and watch the film "BULLY." http://www.fandango.com/movie-traile...958/2220925677 This might change some of their policies in dealing with bullies and help them understand the seriousness of this problem in our schools. This is a problem that has increased beyond where it was when I was a kid. Kids weren't as physical as they are today. This is a serious problem that our school boards must take more seriously.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Bully

    IDK, according to the "christian" organization Focus on the Family, the film promotes homosexuality. Christian Movie Review also describes it as "Marred by Politically Correct Sodomy"....

    http://www.movieguide.org/reviews/movie/bully-2012.html

    are the christians just being bullies?

    BTW, did you actually see the movie or do you like it because justin bieber likes it
    _________________________________________________. ..............................................I do not support this ad.

  3. #3
    Common-Tater Guest

    Default Re: Bully

    Quote Originally Posted by michael medeski View Post
    IDK, according to the "christian" organization Focus on the Family, the film promotes homosexuality. Christian Movie Review also describes it as "Marred by Politically Correct Sodomy"....

    http://www.movieguide.org/reviews/movie/bully-2012.html

    are the christians just being bullies?

    BTW, did you actually see the movie or do you like it because justin bieber likes it
    I challenge you to post something on here that isn't insulting and derogatory. Try being a contributor to converstation instead of being a Troll.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Bully

    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    I challenge you to post something on here that isn't insulting and derogatory. Try being a contributor to converstation instead of being a Troll.
    please explain how my post was insulting and derogatory. all i did was ask two legitimate questions. did you attack me because you can't answer them?
    _________________________________________________. ..............................................I do not support this ad.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kendallville
    Posts
    1,826

    Default Re: Bully

    Quote Originally Posted by michael medeski View Post
    IDK, according to the "christian" organization Focus on the Family, the film promotes homosexuality. Christian Movie Review also describes it as "Marred by Politically Correct Sodomy"....

    http://www.movieguide.org/reviews/movie/bully-2012.html

    are the christians just being bullies?

    BTW, did you actually see the movie or do you like it because justin bieber likes it
    The Southern Poverty Law Center calls Focus on the Family a hate group. Apparently they are "Christians" that hate Homosexuals.

  6. #6
    Common-Tater Guest

    Default Re: Bully

    Quote Originally Posted by michael medeski View Post
    please explain how my post was insulting and derogatory. all i did was ask two legitimate questions. did you attack me because you can't answer them?
    The purpose of this thread is to discuss bullying in schools. You're hijacking the subject matter and trying to include things that have nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I don't care who's responsible for the bullying in schools, only that schools in this area need to improve their approach to it.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Bully

    Quote Originally Posted by Graygleam View Post
    The Southern Poverty Law Center calls Focus on the Family a hate group. Apparently they are "Christians" that hate Homosexuals.
    christians that hate? how can that be?!


    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    The purpose of this thread is to discuss bullying in schools. You're hijacking the subject matter and trying to include things that have nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I don't care who's responsible for the bullying in schools, only that schools in this area need to improve their approach to it.
    that's weird. i thought the purpose was to discuss a film because the link you provided says "justin bieber backs bully in tv spot". i don't think that alone warrants praise for something i haven't personally viewed. i also don't see how you can justify saying "every school board member in this region should go and watch the film" when you have never even watched it yourself.

    i find it a bit odd that someone with conservative christian values (like yourself) can have so much praise for something christians find offensive. maybe your inner liberal is trying to come out.

    that's all, no hijacking, just honest questions that deserve honest explanations/answers.
    _________________________________________________. ..............................................I do not support this ad.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kendallville
    Posts
    4,725

    Default Re: Bully

    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    This is a problem that has increased beyond where it was when I was a kid. Kids weren't as physical as they are today. This is a serious problem that our school boards must take more seriously.
    I don't disagree that it needs to be taken seriously whenever it happens, but there isn't anything my sons have seen or experienced in school that wasn't happening when I was a kid, and the schools around here seem to act on it more than I recall schools doing when I was in school.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Bully

    _________________________________________________. ..............................................I do not support this ad.

  10. #10
    Common-Tater Guest

    Default Re: Bully

    Quote Originally Posted by michael medeski View Post
    that's weird. i thought the purpose was to discuss a film because the link you provided says "justin bieber backs bully in tv spot". i don't think that alone warrants praise for something i haven't personally viewed.
    My purpose in posting the link was the preview video, not Justin Bieber's involvement.

    Quote Originally Posted by michael medeski View Post
    i also don't see how you can justify saying "every school board member in this region should go and watch the film" when you have never even watched it yourself.
    Based on some of the stupid policies regarding bullying that our schools have, anything educational on the subject would be beneficial to them. Example... A parent goes into the school to report bullying of their child. The school responds by having both children sign a form stating that they will not enage in bullying. Bullies I encountered in school when I was a kid woudn't have cared about a piece of paper.

    Quote Originally Posted by michael medeski View Post
    i find it a bit odd that someone with conservative christian values (like yourself) can have so much praise for something christians find offensive. maybe your inner liberal is trying to come out.
    Focus on the Family is hardly representative of all Christians. They often take extreme views that I don't agree with. Not all of my views are conservative. Not all of my views are supported by Christianity either.

  11. #11
    Common-Tater Guest

    Default Re: Bully

    Quote Originally Posted by james_t View Post
    I don't disagree that it needs to be taken seriously whenever it happens, but there isn't anything my sons have seen or experienced in school that wasn't happening when I was a kid, and the schools around here seem to act on it more than I recall schools doing when I was in school.
    And during my 5 year reunion some of the people I graduated with said they weren't aware of any bullying or teasing going on in our school at all... What we saw was determined by who we hung around and how much we were paying attention to others. Kids tend to have tunnel vision. Just because they didn't see something, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Bully

    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    Based on some of the stupid policies regarding bullying that our schools have, anything educational on the subject would be beneficial to them.
    if it was really that important for everyone to see the movie, they should put it on the internet for free. i at least hope all the kids involved profited from it, because someone is making money off of this documentary. IMO, donating ALL proceeds would be the right thing to do.

    here is a good article on the subject......

    http://www.hesherman.com/2012/03/28/...tein-re-bully/


    i want to add..... it's ironic that harvey weinstein is behind this movie.....

    Weinstein has also cultivated a reputation for ruthlessness and fits of anger. According to Biskind, Weinstein once put a New York Observer reporter in a headlock while throwing him out of a party. On another occasion, Weinstein excoriated director Julie Taymor and her husband during a disagreement over a test screening of her movie Frida. In a 2004 piece in New York magazine, Weinstein appeared somewhat repentant for his often aggressive discussions with directors and producers. However, an October 13, 2008 Newsweek story criticized Weinstein, who was accused of "hassling Sydney Pollack on his deathbed" about the release of the film The Reader. After Weinstein offered $1 million to charity if the accusation could be proven, journalist Nikki Finke published an August 22 email by Scott Rudin asserting that Weinstein "harassed" Anthony Minghella's widow and a bedridden Pollack until Pollack's family asked him to stop.
    he sounds like a bully to me.
    Last edited by michael medeski; 04-13-2012 at 09:29 AM.
    _________________________________________________. ..............................................I do not support this ad.

  13. #13
    Common-Tater Guest

    Default Re: Bully

    Quote Originally Posted by michael medeski View Post
    if it was really that important for everyone to see the movie, they should put it on the internet for free. i at least hope all the kids involved profited from it, because someone is making money off of this documentary. IMO, donating ALL proceeds would be the right thing to do.

    here is a good article on the subject......

    http://www.hesherman.com/2012/03/28/...tein-re-bully/


    i want to add..... it's ironic that harvey weinstein is behind this movie.....



    he sounds like a bully to me.
    Again, you're missing the point - which is the content of the film, not those involved in its production. The focus is on how people react to the movie, not their feelings about those who made it. Weinstein's behavior doesn't cancel the message of the film. I will point out, again, we're talking about bullying in schools, not workplace violence or adult on adult behavior.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Bully

    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    Again, you're missing the point - which is the content of the film, not those involved in its production. The focus is on how people react to the movie, not their feelings about those who made it. Weinstein's behavior doesn't cancel the message of the film. I will point out, again, we're talking about bullying in schools, not workplace violence or adult on adult behavior.
    i don't know the content because i have never saw the film. (neither have you) my point is that i would feel better if this was produced by a non-profit organization. exploiting bullied children in a "for-profit" propaganda film seems wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    My purpose in posting the link was the preview video, not Justin Bieber's involvement.
    i find that hard to believe from someone that has a justin bieber blog.
    _________________________________________________. ..............................................I do not support this ad.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kendallville
    Posts
    1,826

    Default Re: Bully

    Why is anyone talking about a film that they haven't even seen?

  16. #16
    Common-Tater Guest

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dekalb County
    Posts
    6,797

    Default Re: Bully

    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    Excellent link Tater! Your point is well made and I respect it. We can offer our kids better than this in their school day environment. Let's do it!!!!!
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

  18. #18
    Common-Tater Guest

    Default Re: Bully

    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    Excellent link Tater! Your point is well made and I respect it. We can offer our kids better than this in their school day environment. Let's do it!!!!!
    There was an interesting point made which shows how stupid many principals are. This principal had a similar reaction to those I'd dealt with when I was in school. They would sit in a class or ride a bus and because the kids didn't bully anyone when they were there, they think there's no problem. But of course the kids aren't going to act up when they are there. They're the principal. "I've ridden that bus before and the kids were good as gold." How frustrating to have to deal with people that nieve.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kendallville, IN
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Bully

    Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    The purpose of this thread is to discuss bullying in schools. You're hijacking the subject matter and trying to include things that have nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I don't care who's responsible for the bullying in schools, only that schools in this area need to improve their approach to it.
    lol....seems michael medeski has a habit of doing this. I have seen him do this on other threads, regardless of the subject. It appears he is just an attention seeker and he will take whatever he can get. Be it positive or negative, no matter.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dekalb County
    Posts
    6,797

    Default Re: Bully

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeWorldOrder View Post
    lol....seems michael medeski has a habit of doing this. I have seen him do this on other threads, regardless of the subject. It appears he is just an attention seeker and he will take whatever he can get. Be it positive or negative, no matter.
    Or....Perhaps his sense of humor, opinions and perspectives on topics are simply a bit different than others? Ever get stuck at an airport and have to kill several hours? Just setting there, killing time people watching always leaves me with a refreshed understanding of how diverse our culture is.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •