Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: NDAA nullified in Virginia

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,436

    Default NDAA nullified in Virginia

    This abomination to the Bill of Rights needs to be nullified at every state level. Of course, BOTH our esteemed senators and most reps voted FOR it. Stuzman gets a pass for voting against it, but the rest of these yahoos need to take a permanent intermission from the national stage. If you haven't heard of it, it's the Patriot Act on steroids, and no, the mainstream media doesn't mention it.

    http://cuttingthegordianknot.wordpre...ullifies-ndaa/
    For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it. - Patrick Henry

    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

  2. #2
    Todd Ianuzzi Guest

    Default Re: NDAA nullified in Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Douglas View Post
    This abomination to the Bill of Rights needs to be nullified at every state level. Of course, BOTH our esteemed senators and most reps voted FOR it. Stuzman gets a pass for voting against it, but the rest of these yahoos need to take a permanent intermission from the national stage. If you haven't heard of it, it's the Patriot Act on steroids, and no, the mainstream media doesn't mention it.

    http://cuttingthegordianknot.wordpre...ullifies-ndaa/


    A useless gesture. States do not have the power to "nullify" federal law. That has been established law since 1819 in McCulloch v. Maryland.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,436

    Default Re: NDAA nullified in Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Ianuzzi View Post
    A useless gesture. States do not have the power to "nullify" federal law. That has been established law since 1819 in McCulloch v. Maryland.
    You're saying they abolished the 10th Amendment in 1819? Well, ...bust my butt! I think trouble's coming.
    For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it. - Patrick Henry

    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Todd Ianuzzi Guest

    Default Re: NDAA nullified in Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Douglas View Post
    You're saying they abolished the 10th Amendment in 1819? Well, ...bust my butt! I think trouble's coming.
    The 10th amendment has no application (almost anywhere in constitutional jurisprudence). Read a few dozen consititutional law cases and try again.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,436

    Default Re: NDAA nullified in Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Ianuzzi View Post
    The 10th amendment has no application (almost anywhere in constitutional jurisprudence). Read a few dozen consititutional law cases and try again.
    Well 'hush my mouth!'.......
    Well, let's see....
    The First Amendment is pretty much there now for 'intelligience gathering'
    The Second is 'conditional'
    The Third, .....well, we'll see?
    The Fourth....****ed........
    The Fifth.....****ed.........
    The Sixth....****ed..............

    ndaa.jpg

    Makes you want to break out yer Lee Greenwood records, doesn't it?
    For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it. - Patrick Henry

    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,436

    Default Re: NDAA nullified in Virginia

    Well Todd,
    I did some studying and you're right. Between the Necessary and Proper Clause, and the Supremacy Clause, they have taken nearly all the teeth out of the 10th Amendment for any real meaningful purpose nearly from the get-go........Here's the catch-
    They apply to Constitutional laws, NOT UN-Constitutional ones. And what could possibly be more unconstitutional than wrecking the Bill of Rights?
    I think state nullification will become a VERY powerful gesture as time goes along, OR things will become very uncivil.
    For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it. - Patrick Henry

    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7
    Todd Ianuzzi Guest

    Default Re: NDAA nullified in Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Douglas View Post
    Well Todd,
    I did some studying and you're right. Between the Necessary and Proper Clause, and the Supremacy Clause, they have taken nearly all the teeth out of the 10th Amendment for any real meaningful purpose nearly from the get-go........Here's the catch-
    They apply to Constitutional laws, NOT UN-Constitutional ones. And what could possibly be more unconstitutional than wrecking the Bill of Rights?
    I think state nullification will become a VERY powerful gesture as time goes along, OR things will become very uncivil.
    The Nullification Crisis of 1837 set up a showdown between South Carolina and the Federal Government that was resolved by a kind of a compromise. The ultimate nullification crisis was the Civil War.

    Nullification was heard again during the Civil Rights Era. The racist South wanted to stop desegregation and raised the issue. It is back again, as this country is as divided now as it has been since the Civil War.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,436

    Default Re: NDAA nullified in Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Ianuzzi View Post
    The Nullification Crisis of 1837 set up a showdown between South Carolina and the Federal Government that was resolved by a kind of a compromise. The ultimate nullification crisis was the Civil War.

    Nullification was heard again during the Civil Rights Era. The racist South wanted to stop desegregation and raised the issue. It is back again, as this country is as divided now as it has been since the Civil War.
    If it's applied to bad laws and supreme court decisions, it's okey-dokey with me.
    hmr.jpg
    For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it. - Patrick Henry

    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

  9. #9
    Todd Ianuzzi Guest

    Default Re: NDAA nullified in Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Douglas View Post
    If it's applied to bad laws and supreme court decisions, it's okey-dokey with me.
    hmr.jpg
    Who get's to choose what is good and bad?

    I believe the nation is at the point of ungovernability. One party tells the voters we can cut welfare (and mumble a little bit on entitlement reform), increase defense spending, lower taxes further on the 1% (and close some unidentified loopholes) and balance the budget. And we will put the queers and feminists back in their place. And through out the Mez' cans.

    The other party says we can just increase the tax on the 1%, trim the welfare state around the edges, maintain entitlements as they presently are, and fund national healthcare without cutting costs. A little closer to reality, but not a great deal.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,436

    Default Re: NDAA nullified in Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Ianuzzi View Post
    Who get's to choose what is good and bad?

    I believe the nation is at the point of ungovernability. One party tells the voters we can cut welfare (and mumble a little bit on entitlement reform), increase defense spending, lower taxes further on the 1% (and close some unidentified loopholes) and balance the budget. And we will put the queers and feminists back in their place. And through out the Mez' cans.

    The other party says we can just increase the tax on the 1%, trim the welfare state around the edges, maintain entitlements as they presently are, and fund national healthcare without cutting costs. A little closer to reality, but not a great deal.
    Defiling the Constitution is bad. Perpetuating bad (mostly substance) laws for cheap privatized prison labor and to keep tax-eating bureaucracies in place is bad. Creating a surveillance/police state is bad......What do the "terrorists" mostly hate about us? Our "freedom"?! What do our soldiers die for?! Our "freedom"?! I'd sure hate to be a soldier coming home to this cluster! I guess they lost.
    For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it. - Patrick Henry

    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

  11. #11
    Todd Ianuzzi Guest

    Default Re: NDAA nullified in Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Douglas View Post
    Defiling the Constitution is bad. Perpetuating bad (mostly substance) laws for cheap privatized prison labor and to keep tax-eating bureaucracies in place is bad. Creating a surveillance/police state is bad......What do the "terrorists" mostly hate about us? Our "freedom"?! What do our soldiers die for?! Our "freedom"?! I'd sure hate to be a soldier coming home to this cluster! I guess they lost.

    There are political solutions to nearly all you suggest. And the confines of the constitution are broad enough to permit at least the first two examples. Under constitutional jurisprudence, they are "political questions."

    Many political scientists, including many Europeans, who have watched the US and compared and contrasted their post-War Constitutions and governments with the US and its constitution in the Post WWII era believe that the US Constitution has created a model that is to weak to permit governance. We have three coequal branches, whereas most European countries concentrate more power in their elected legislatures, legislatures based upon popular representation and without the anti-democratic body that is the Senate. Their courts do not generally have the power to declare laws unconsitutional in all applications.

    The country has generally functioned through limited judicial intervention, copmpromise between the legislature and the presents, and the judicious use of the Senate filibuuster, not the wholesale obstructionism of the Republican party.

    I am almost to the point where I would like to see the country disolve its bonds and slip into loose federalist, post state model. The South can return to their racist and classist roots. Low taxes, low literracy, and low tooth count.

    The north east, educated and more prosperpous, would develop a country more along the lines of a European democracy, just as the West Coast would. Indiana could then become the northernmost Southern state and the upper midwest would align more with Canada.

    I know for me, when I look at the South, Texas, Arizona and much of the Indiana I have returned to, I share little in common with most folks. I am not a fundametalist christian, am not purposefully ignorant of science, anti-education, am pro-enlightenment, believe in matching expenditures to revenues, and hate racism with all that I am. And I am not a homphobe.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •