Thread: Teacher sues local Catholic diocese over firing

Default Teacher sues local Catholic diocese over firing

This one is difficult to determine which thread to post under. It is local...(Ft. Wayne - South Bend Diocese)...it has national consequences as to the ruling that will occur...it is also obviously Political in nature. Chose this one...if James determines it belongs elsewhere...I am fine with that.

Teacher sues local Catholic diocese over firing
    Rebecca S. Green | The Journal Gazette

A former teacher at St. Vincent de Paul Catholic School sued the school and the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend in federal court for firing her because she underwent in vitro fertilization.
    Filed earlier this month in U.S. District Court by Emily Herx, the lawsuit comes after the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission found the Diocese violated her civil rights – specifically sex discrimination – as well as violating the Americans with Disabilities Act.
    Infertility is considered a disability under the law, according to court documents.
    According to court documents, Herx – who had a degree from Ball State University and a teaching license from Taylor University – was fired April 25, 2011, effective in the upcoming school year, for "improprieties related to church teachings or law."
    A language arts teacher, Herx was not required to complete any training in the Catholic faith as a condition of her employment, was not ordained by the Catholic church, and is not a minister, according to court documents.

pic of her and husband can be seen here:
    http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...AL03/120429757

If the church considers itself to own their employees choices in reproduction rights, I'm thinking they will be safer in choosing only sworn members of their own church as employees at their schools? (or perhaps that would be religious discrimination?) I am curious if their medical insurance paid for the artificial insemination? Getting very difficult to determine what is legal these days. Religious discrimination/civil rights violations/separation of church & state? Anyone able to call 'Trump'? (no...no...no...not the guy with the wild hair!) LOL!
    Last edited by HoosierHelen; 04-24-2012 at 07:43 PM.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Default Re: Teacher sues local Catholic diocese over firing

it's ironic how swiftly they fire a lady trying to have kids, but not a guy that molests 200 deaf ones.
    _________________________________________________. ..............................................I do not support this ad.

Default Re: Teacher sues local Catholic diocese over firing

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    This one is difficult to determine which thread to post under. It is local...(Ft. Wayne - South Bend Diocese)...it has national consequences as to the ruling that will occur...it is also obviously Political in nature. Chose this one...if James determines it belongs elsewhere...I am fine with that.

Teacher sues local Catholic diocese over firing
    Rebecca S. Green | The Journal Gazette

A former teacher at St. Vincent de Paul Catholic School sued the school and the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend in federal court for firing her because she underwent in vitro fertilization.
    Filed earlier this month in U.S. District Court by Emily Herx, the lawsuit comes after the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission found the Diocese violated her civil rights specifically sex discrimination as well as violating the Americans with Disabilities Act.
    Infertility is considered a disability under the law, according to court documents.
    According to court documents, Herx who had a degree from Ball State University and a teaching license from Taylor University was fired April 25, 2011, effective in the upcoming school year, for "improprieties related to church teachings or law."
    A language arts teacher, Herx was not required to complete any training in the Catholic faith as a condition of her employment, was not ordained by the Catholic church, and is not a minister, according to court documents.

pic of her and husband can be seen here:
    http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...AL03/120429757

If the church considers itself to own their employees choices in reproduction rights, I'm thinking they will be safer in choosing only sworn members of their own church as employees at their schools? (or perhaps that would be religious discrimination?) I am curious if their medical insurance paid for the artificial insemination? Getting very difficult to determine what is legal these days. Religious discrimination/civil rights violations/separation of church & state? Anyone able to call 'Trump'? (no...no...no...not the guy with the wild hair!) LOL!
    This is the kind of thing that the GOP is pushing. They want all the religious nuts to have the freedom to take away others rights if you work for them. This is exactly why I am against the Catholic, or any other church group that hires outside of their faith, to have say so in their private lives. In Providing insurance, they are entering into a contract with the state, or federal government to provide for their employees, and should not be able to dictate terms.
    coming to you live from police state "Kville"