Thread: calling names

Default calling names

I just looked at an amazing PM, it was from a moderator, and it was saying that the moderator considered the poster to be a liar, You know who you are, my question to the fence post is, are we able to PM people, and call them liars? If so, okay then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    coming to you live from police state "Kville"

Default Re: calling names

Private messages are just that - private, and therefore unmoderated. The only time we will get involved with PMs is if they become harassing or threatening, and even then you'd have to forward them to a moderator so they could see what you were talking about.

However, before you start drooling about starting a PM flame war, I'd caution that it cuts both ways - the other person is just as free to call you names back.

Common-Tater Guest

I've seen worse sent in PM. James didn't care about any of those either.

Quote Originally Posted by Common-Tater View Post
    James didn't care about any of those either.
    you mean you tattled to james and he didn't listen to your cries for help? i guess there comes a time when we all have to grow up and stand up for ourselves.
    _________________________________________________. ..............................................I do not support this ad.

Also, if you are getting private messages from people you really don't want, you can edit the settings on your account to only accept PMs from moderators and contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by james_t View Post
    Also, if you are getting private messages from people you really don't want, you can edit the settings on your account to only accept PMs from moderators and contacts.
    What if the PM is from a moderator? are we allowed to edit them out?

Quote Originally Posted by blue adept View Post
    It doesn't look like the software allows that. If that becomes an issue, we can either talk to the moderation team or, worst case, shut down the private messaging system entirely.

why? i would never block anyone. just tell them to **** off and leave you alone.

don't get our PM privileges taken away for something petty like that. nip it in the bud blue.

IMO, james is the most civil/level headed moderator we have. some other mods could learn lessons in tact by following his example.
    _________________________________________________. ..............................................I do not support this ad.

HomeyG Guest

I found that ignoring posts, both private and public, is the best avenue and I know sometimes it really irritates some if you don't respond to their questions.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeyG View Post
    I found that ignoring posts, both private and public, is the best avenue and I know sometimes it really irritates some if you don't respond to their questions.
    The problem is, you don't respond when caught. and yes it is annoying.

I enjoy our PM system and I will vote with Michael, let's don't loose it. I understand Blue came across a PM that he found offensive from a moderator. That is unfortunate, however, my best guess is that whoever the moderator was, it probably won't be something they send to Blue again.

Most of our moderators are volunteers it seems, they also are people with opinions too (right or wrong). If something one of them should do offends my sense of fairness, I believe I would send them a PM with a copy to James and let them know.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

HomeyG Guest

The problem is, you don't respond when caught. and yes it is annoying.
    Its only in your imagination that I have been caught and if I am wrong I will admit it as I have done in the past. There are a lot of reasons I won't respond, mostly because I see its going nowhere or its leading towards name-calling, but it's never because someone thinks they have backed me into a corner.