Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dekalb County
    Posts
    6,778

    Default Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    The embarrassment to the Republican party is that Todd Akin revealed the official party line of thought concerning rape. This is not simply about abortion; it really encompasses their disagreement with women’s rights. I believe this viewpoint includes rights held by both women and minorities.

    It distresses me to observe Republican women supporting any plan to roll back hard won political advances gained over the past 150 years. Forgetting this fact for even a moment will be costly to all of us.

    An interesting fact that is not getting enough attention is that the doctor source that Todd Akin was quoting was from Dr. John Wilke, who was the father of the antiabortion movement. Todd Akin obviously did not misspeak...his beliefs are consistent with the entire Republican agenda on this topic.

    After saying he “can’t defend” Rep. Todd Akin’s suggestion that women don’t get pregnant from rape, Mitt Romney stepped up his rebuke on Tuesday when he called on Akin to drop out of the Missouri Senate race. But archives from Romney’s previous presidential bid show that the Massachusetts Republican has historically supported the person who is the source of Akin’s theory, Dr. Jack C. Willke, the father of the antiabortion movement.

    Check this out:
    ...Willke believes that trauma caused by violent rape causes a woman’s reproductive system to shut down. He presents this belief as fact in educational materials, including a book about abortion and a website called abortionfacts.com. Willke’s views – and his role in promoting a theory that has been widely rejected in modern medicine – appear not to have concerned Romney in 2007, when he touted Willke’s endorsement.

    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/0...mney-Surrogate
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Angola, IN
    Posts
    6,306

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    All the Republicans agree with what Akin said, Helen.

    They're just distressed that Akin had the bad taste to say it out loud.

    Let me clarify. To many, rape has two categories: legitimate and non.

    "Legitimate" is the classic "man in a mask breaks into a home and rapes a good, Christian housewife". Non would be "an independent woman dressed as a **** gets what she has coming to her".

    GOP/Conservative legislation has pretty much been focused on this for years. Why else would Paul and Akin have worked so hard on legislation to define what kind of rape would be covered by Federal abortion monies?
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,
    And kumquats are just, plain evil...

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    Quote Originally Posted by evilkumquat View Post
    All the Republicans agree with what Akin said, Helen.

    They're just distressed that Akin had the bad taste to say it out loud.
    It's comments like this that are completely unfounded, ridiculous and nothing short of trolling Evil. I am not a republican, so please don't even go there, but if you cannot see how much of a divisive statement this is then you are not only blind but also part of the problem.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,880

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    I think it still comes down to Abortion. The right cannot be seen to be soft on any abortion, so they talk out their @##. They do not know how to have a decent argument on their stance either, it's their way, or the highway. While I am personally against abortion, I am even more against the rights Idea to take away women's rights to their bodies. YES, I know I have beat this horse before, but, it still comes down to staying out of other people's lives, and not putting your religious beliefs into law. Anti-abortion people are pushing their religion onto the country, bottom line. By the way, I remember seeing this snapshot before. It was at a right to life gathering I got talked into. Akin has it confused, the "science" behind it shows that a woman that has had sex with two partners in close timing to each other, which-ever man has given her an orgasm will have the better chance of getting her pregnant. I was shocked at this, and they never convinced me that the " science" was real. And, it has nothing to do with rape.
    Last edited by blue adept; 08-22-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    coming to you live from police state "Kville"

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,880

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    found some part of it, look to the last part of the third paragraph



    http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...-female-orgasm
    coming to you live from police state "Kville"

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dekalb County
    Posts
    6,778

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbass View Post
    It's comments like this that are completely unfounded, ridiculous and nothing short of trolling Evil. I am not a republican, so please don't even go there, but if you cannot see how much of a divisive statement this is then you are not only blind but also part of the problem.
    BigBass, I disagree with you about Evil's posting being anything similar to a troll statement. There are many women (and men) in our nation who feel what Evil said is in fact true. Please review the following article written by Soraya Chemaly for Huffington Post yesterday. I sincerely hope you will not roll your eyes because it is written by a feminist?

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/soraya...b_1810928.html
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    BigBass, I disagree with you about Evil's posting being anything similar to a troll statement. There are many women (and men) in our nation who feel what Evil said is in fact true. Please review the following article written by Soraya Chemaly for Huffington Post yesterday. I sincerely hope you will not roll your eyes because it is written by a feminist?

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/soraya...b_1810928.html
    Helen! There is a pretty big difference in saying that "many" feel that way and "all" feel that way, I stand by my statement. BTW, I look at the Huffington Post pretty much the same way that I look at Fox news.
    Last edited by bigbass; 08-22-2012 at 03:42 PM.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dekalb County
    Posts
    6,778

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbass View Post
    Helen! There is a pretty big difference in say that "many" feel that way and "all" feel that way, I stand by my statement. BTW, I look at the Huffington Post pretty much the same way that I look at Fox news.
    I doubt we could find any issue that 'all' feel a particular way on any given issue in the U.S. I also stand by my opinion that what Evil said was not a troll statement, it is his opinion and we are entitled to those.

    Just curious what media do you look to that is neither biased toward the left or the right?
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    I doubt we could find any issue that 'all' feel a particular way on any given issue in the U.S. I also stand by my opinion that what Evil said was not a troll statement, it is his opinion and we are entitled to those.

    Just curious what media do you look to that is neither biased toward the left or the right?
    I do my best to stay away from the talking heads and opinion pieces Helen, I like to check voting records and I also do some politifacting. I may have become too much of a skeptic over the years, but it just seems to me that if you can watch MSNBC, then change to FOX News and hear the same stories with different names there is a problem. I just think the people of this country are getting robbed by those who are supposed to be protecting us and if we can't even get the 6-8 people who post on a tiny little forum like the Fence Post to work together, then where are we headed as a country? I'm not saying everyone has to agree, I'm just saying if we don't find some type of middle ground then we are headed towards some form of trouble aren't we?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dekalb County
    Posts
    6,778

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbass View Post
    I do my best to stay away from the talking heads and opinion pieces Helen, I like to check voting records and I also do some politifacting. I may have become too much of a skeptic over the years, but it just seems to me that if you can watch MSNBC, then change to FOX News and hear the same stories with different names there is a problem. I just think the people of this country are getting robbed by those who are supposed to be protecting us and if we can't even get the 6-8 people who post on a tiny little forum like the Fence Post to work together, then where are we headed as a country? I'm not saying everyone has to agree, I'm just saying if we don't find some type of middle ground then we are headed towards some form of trouble aren't we?
    The middle ground is what has been missing for the past 2 yrs. We absolutely need both parties to be willing to find this and build on it. It is my opinion that the TP has put the Republican party at odds with the Dems being able to negotiate a middle ground and progress from there. Just my opinion...however...I will vote according to my opinion.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    The middle ground is what has been missing for the past 2 yrs. We absolutely need both parties to be willing to find this and build on it. It is my opinion that the TP has put the Republican party at odds with the Dems being able to negotiate a middle ground and progress from there. Just my opinion...however...I will vote according to my opinion.
    I'm hoping that was your subtle way of asking my opinion of the Tea Party Wrong time, wrong place, wrong attitude, wrong focus, wrong message. Taxes need reformed both sides admit it, but one side wants to give it all away and the other side wants to take it all. This isn't rocket science, why don't they set down and figure it out. We aren't talking about landing a car on Mars for crying out loud, we're talking about priorities, what does it take to feed people who are starving, house people sleeping on the streets, and keep people as healthy as possible. That does not mean that we keep adding to the hot mess we have, that means we need to CHANGE things! It's not the top dog who is doing this to us, he is the scapegoat! If you honestly think that in the Grand Scheme of things Barack Obama can control the price of a gallon of gas in this country, then you need to get out of the house more. We need a new party, we need a party that is compassionate and caring but also aware. We need to protect but we need be protected as well. Our protectors are turning into our wardens.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Angola, IN
    Posts
    6,306

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbass View Post
    It's comments like this that are completely unfounded, ridiculous and nothing short of trolling Evil. I am not a republican, so please don't even go there, but if you cannot see how much of a divisive statement this is then you are not only blind but also part of the problem.
    Sorry. My bad.

    I left out a word.

    I should have said "Congressional Republicans".

    We were discussing Akin, a Congressman, and it was in that mindset that I responded.
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,
    And kumquats are just, plain evil...

  13. #13
    HomeyG Guest

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbass View Post
    I'm hoping that was your subtle way of asking my opinion of the Tea Party Wrong time, wrong place, wrong attitude, wrong focus, wrong message. Taxes need reformed both sides admit it, but one side wants to give it all away and the other side wants to take it all. This isn't rocket science, why don't they set down and figure it out. We aren't talking about landing a car on Mars for crying out loud, we're talking about priorities, what does it take to feed people who are starving, house people sleeping on the streets, and keep people as healthy as possible. That does not mean that we keep adding to the hot mess we have, that means we need to CHANGE things! It's not the top dog who is doing this to us, he is the scapegoat! If you honestly think that in the Grand Scheme of things Barack Obama can control the price of a gallon of gas in this country, then you need to get out of the house more. We need a new party, we need a party that is compassionate and caring but also aware. We need to protect but we need be protected as well. Our protectors are turning into our wardens.
    I don't think the President can permanently control the price of gasoline but I do think there are things he could do to temporarily affect the price of gas. Evidently President Obama agrees because he wants to release some the Strategic Oil Reserves to temporarily lower the price of gas.
    Last edited by HomeyG; 08-22-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: left out some wording

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    Quote Originally Posted by HomeyG View Post
    I don't think the President can permanently control the price of gasoline but I do think there are things he could do to temporarily affect the price of gas. Evidently President Obama agrees because he wants to release some the Strategic Oil Reserves to temporarily lower the price of gas.
    I agree to a some extent, but it's kinda like saying he can control the weather by parking a blimp over my house during a rain storm, I might not get wet today but what about tomorrow? People know what temporary is, and I believe they are getting tired of it. I know I am.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    Quote Originally Posted by evilkumquat View Post
    Sorry. My bad.

    I left out a word.

    I should have said "Congressional Republicans".

    We were discussing Akin, a Congressman, and it was in that mindset that I responded.
    Ah, no problem Evil, I don't personally know all of them so your adding one word may have corrected your statement. I seriously doubt it, but nonetheless it is now possible. Apology accepted.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Angola, IN
    Posts
    6,306

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbass View Post
    Ah, no problem Evil, I don't personally know all of them so your adding one word may have corrected your statement. I seriously doubt it, but nonetheless it is now possible. Apology accepted.
    I base my assumption on the fact that the Congressional GOP has voted almost entirely in lockstep with almost every important vote they've taken.

    If 100% of them vote for A, and 100% of them vote for B, isn't it reasonable to assume 100% would vote for a hypothetical C?
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,
    And kumquats are just, plain evil...

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    Quote Originally Posted by evilkumquat View Post
    I base my assumption on the fact that the Congressional GOP has voted almost entirely in lockstep with almost every important vote they've taken.

    If 100% of them vote for A, and 100% of them vote for B, isn't it reasonable to assume 100% would vote for a hypothetical C?
    Like I said, I can't call ya out on that one.

  18. Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    Quote Originally Posted by evilkumquat View Post
    Sorry. My bad.

    I left out a word.

    I should have said "Congressional Republicans".

    We were discussing Akin, a Congressman, and it was in that mindset that I responded.
    Maybe you should talk to the person who made this comment about making blanket statements.

    Quote Originally Posted by evilkumquat View Post
    Al Franken discovered a tax error resulting from a bad accountant and corrected it immediately. In fact, his campaign discovered the error, made restitution and reported it themselves to the media.

    This is just a quick example that your blanket statement isn't 100% accurate that everyone in Congress and the White House are tax cheats or gamers.

    Because the we do have this:

    "Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.) on Tuesday scolded his party over a move to include support for a constitutional ban on abortion in the 2012 platform, saying it alienates pro-abortion rights Republicans like him."

    It is just a quick example of the problem with "blanket" statements.
    that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,435

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    I'll bet a lot of rape victim's husbands are glad to know their wife's pregnancy isn't from an 'illegitimate' rape. (rollseyes)

    "I always knew she was askin' for it....being all attractive and stuff....At least now I know it's my kid..."
    Akin is a stupid *******. Wouldn't matter what his politics were.
    For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it. - Patrick Henry

    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Angola, IN
    Posts
    6,306

    Default Re: Atkins rape theory straight from Romney's surrogate

    My blanket statement is based on the fact that the Republicans are voting almost completely in lockstep with everything, at least the more publicized issues.

    If the Republicans try to pass legislation outlawing all abortions for any reason, Brown will vote with them, regardless of his own personal viewpoint.
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,
    And kumquats are just, plain evil...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •