Thread: Acapulco Restaurants?!?

Default Acapulco Restaurants?!?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1911559.html

Can anyone confirm this is true? I've not been by any of their restaurants to verify that they're open or closed.

Default Re: Acapulco Restaurants?!?

Quote Originally Posted by HL1968 View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1911559.html

Can anyone confirm this is true? I've not been by any of their restaurants to verify that they're open or closed.
    Is that the same entity that has restaurants in northeast Indiana? Acapulco is probably the most common name for a Mexican restaurant, and I suspect there are dozens of chains along with hundreds of independent businesses that go by that name.

article specifically says NE Indiana. May have to do a drive by there tonight to check it out. I know not a lot of locals worked at the one at Hamilton Lake, but there were a few.

I guess it said SOUTHeast Indiana but I've been told it's on the K'ville news radio today.

Not ours, though I guess they could be part of the same group:

http://www.wibc.com/news/Story.aspx?ID=1780562

Thickstun says their probe centered on restaurant activities based out of Lawrenceburg in Dearborn County. However, he says they've linked activity to other Acapulco Mexican Restaurants in Indianapolis, Batesville, Rising Sun, Aurora, Versailles, Lafayette and Greenwood.

6. Default Re: Acapulco Restaurants?!?

Aren't the ones around here called Acapulco Grill? Could still be related. Many businesses in Indiana are guilty of the same things. Our government allows it by not holding business owners responsible for the hiring of illegals. Being here illegally is a felony. Hiring illegals is aiding a felon. The Indiana legislature supports the exploitation of illegals. They say businesses will move out of state costing us jobs. How will it cost us jobs if illegals have the jobs being lost?
    "You don't have to agree with me, it's ok for you to be wrong." A.R.Rogance

Quote Originally Posted by hairypumper View Post
    Aren't the ones around here called Acapulco Grill? Could still be related. Many businesses in Indiana are guilty of the same things. Our government allows it by not holding business owners responsible for the hiring of illegals. Being here illegally is a felony. Hiring illegals is aiding a felon. The Indiana legislature supports the exploitation of illegals. They say businesses will move out of state costing us jobs. How will it cost us jobs if illegals have the jobs being lost?
    Yeah, they did this in Alabama with the draconian immigration laws, driving out tens of thousands of migrant Hispanic workers which left fields of food rotting because the farms couldn't offer enough in pay to entice "local Alabamans". Eventually, immigrants from Africa and Puerto Rico moved into those areas hardest hit by the Hispanic labor shortage to take up the slack.

Look, I see where those upset with immigration are coming from. I don't care that much if people come here illegally, but I can see the frustration of some because, yeah, we have laws that are meant to stop this.

Unfortunately, we also have rampant capitalism which demands cheap labor to keep costs low and profits high. Farming concerns are either unable or unwilling to pay living wages so they attract illegal immigrants. Now, the economy has become dependent upon this cheap labor.
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,
    And kumquats are just, plain evil...

8. Default Re: Acapulco Restaurants?!?

Quote Originally Posted by evilkumquat View Post
    Yeah, they did this in Alabama with the draconian immigration laws, driving out tens of thousands of migrant Hispanic workers which left fields of food rotting because the farms couldn't offer enough in pay to entice "local Alabamans". Eventually, immigrants from Africa and Puerto Rico moved into those areas hardest hit by the Hispanic labor shortage to take up the slack.

Look, I see where those upset with immigration are coming from. I don't care that much if people come here illegally, but I can see the frustration of some because, yeah, we have laws that are meant to stop this.

Unfortunately, we also have rampant capitalism which demands cheap labor to keep costs low and profits high. Farming concerns are either unable or unwilling to pay living wages so they attract illegal immigrants. Now, the economy has become dependent upon this cheap labor.
    I'm not talking about farms. I'm talking about factories and small businesses. Construction companies, landscape companies, many Amish owned businesses. I've got nothing against legal immigrants. Immigrants built this country. Illegal immigrants are helping the greedy destroy it. The bleeding hearts say they are just trying to have a better life, but at what cost to working class Americans? Raising their standard of living is lowering ours.

I'm not talking about farms. I'm talking about factories and small businesses. Construction companies, landscape companies, many Amish owned businesses. I've got nothing against legal immigrants. Immigrants built this country. Illegal immigrants are helping the greedy destroy it. The bleeding hearts say they are just trying to have a better life, but at what cost to working class Americans? Raising their standard of living is lowering ours.
    The undocumented don't seem to be taking jobs citizens want. Maybe if we overhauled our woefully inadequate minimum wage laws, these low-paying employers would be forced to pay a living wage and more citizens would be willing to take these awful jobs.

Regardless, like the antebellum South and slavery, cheap labor provided by undocumented immigrants has become an integral part of our economy. It's not just that those in power don't want to anger the rich who employee these people by arresting farm and factory owners for employing them, but perhaps they understand that the US economy has at this point become dependent upon it.
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,
    And kumquats are just, plain evil...

10. Default Re: Acapulco Restaurants?!?

Quote Originally Posted by evilkumquat View Post
    The undocumented don't seem to be taking jobs citizens want. Maybe if we overhauled our woefully inadequate minimum wage laws, these low-paying employers would be forced to pay a living wage and more citizens would be willing to take these awful jobs.

Regardless, like the antebellum South and slavery, cheap labor provided by undocumented immigrants has become an integral part of our economy. It's not just that those in power don't want to anger the rich who employee these people by arresting farm and factory owners for employing them, but perhaps they understand that the US economy has at this point become dependent upon it.
    I don't know where you get your misinformation, but I know a lot of people who would love jobs as brick and block masons. roofers, concrete finishers, carpenters etc... The minimum wage has nothing to do with hiring illegals, they get paid less than minimum wage and often are paid cash so the employer doesn't have to bother with taxes and paperwork.

Supposedly for unrelated reasons, the Acapulco at Hamilton Lake is closing the doors on Sunday.

I don't know where you get your misinformation, but I know a lot of people who would love jobs as brick and block masons. roofers, concrete finishers, carpenters etc... The minimum wage has nothing to do with hiring illegals, they get paid less than minimum wage and often are paid cash so the employer doesn't have to bother with taxes and paperwork.
    Besides we rather kind of hijacked your thread HR and to bad for Hamilton,that's their loss.

I see what you said there hairy but to counter the hiring of illegals I think minimum wage should have everything to do with it by Employees having to pay it no matter how many hours one works as well (and being an educational thing at home) just because a child turns 16 and can get a DL and if that child doesn't earn it at home shouldn't mean their Parents should go buy them their first car no matter if they can afford it because of from their better times or just because other Parents are doing it,it's an Parent thing just as much as legislation,as long as Legislatures keep their voting Parents happy we're all happy,yeah,right.

I mean any other FP Seniors in here other than me ever drive past a high school parking lot and wondered what's going on different now than back in our day? I mean back in the day during most I ran with had jobs just to keep a near junker road safe and often times more than not if needing a car part that could be used from a real junker we went to Jacksons junk yard and got it. I'd imagine most of those Students' cars are bought and paid for and many of them just as new as their Teachers who are yet paying for theirs. And no doubt my Parents could of afforded it (going to that at home educational thing of preparing to make our own living) but when it came time to be enrolling for our Senior trip my Parents advised me if I wanted to go I'd have to pay for it. And so it happened,a full day at school and a half hour later was punching in at the time clock for an eight hour shift. If only though my health could take all that activity now but staying on the educational thing at home I'd been pushing a broom to have gotten what I wanted if back then all I could of found was bushing a broom. Good thing of all this rag'n is I believe the job outlook is gonna be picking up even if we had an Republican President,sad thing is it shouldn't of taken an Presidential and etc. election year just to git'r done.
    At some time a long,long,long time ago,well not really all that long ago,I began searching for the other half of that fun if getting there was the first half. Well,am yet cheering