Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi damages Spencerville Covered Bridge

Default Semi damages Spencerville Covered Bridge

SPENCERVILLE — A semi rig caused extensive damage to the historic Spencerville Covered Bridge in an incident this afternoon.

Full story (subscription required):

http://www.kpcnews.com/index.php?opt...ticle&id=44485

Default Re: Semi damages Spencerville Covered Bridge

Was this intentional? Why would anyone think that a wooden covered bridge would be large enough or support a modern semi?
    Mitch McConnell: “The President’s more than willing to negotiate with Iranians, I don’t know why he wouldn’t be willing to negotiate with us.”

Jon Stewart: “If it turns out that President Barack Obama can make a deal with the most intransigent, hard-lined, unreasonable totalitarian mullahs in the world, but not the Republicans, maybe he’s not the problem.”

The loss of this bridge leaves me and most in our town heartbroken and speechless. How could this happen? Our entire community has always pulled together to preserve and celebrate this beautiful old bridge.

In England they say 'God Save the Queen'. In Spencerville our spirit has always been 'God save the Bridge'. Many weddings have happened there over the years, family photos, candle light dinners on the bridge, grandparents initials carved into old beams from when they were teenagers in love. So much of our community and its history was anchored around this old bridge.
    Last edited by HoosierHelen; 09-27-2012 at 02:00 AM.
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHelen View Post
    The loss of this bridge leaves me and most in our town heartbroken and speechless. How could this happen? Our entire community has always pulled together to preserve and celebrate this beautiful old bridge.

In England they say 'God Save the Queen'. In Spencerville our spirit has always been 'God save the Bridge'. Many weddings have happened there over the years, family photos, candle light dinners on the bridge, grandparents initials carved into old beams from when they were teenagers in love. So much of our community and its history was anchored around this old bridge.
    It was impossible to walk or ride across that bridge without feeling like you just stepped back in time. I can't imagine what the driver was thinking when he came to it and decided to drive across it. I'm thinking for the sake of everyone else who drives that this guys days behind the wheel of a semi are over.

Surely they will repair it, won't they? I can't imagine that something that old with the fortitude to hold up under the weight of a semi could be torn down now. It seems like the trucking companies insurance needs to pony up the money it costs to repair it.

5. Default Re: Semi damages Spencerville Covered Bridge

He said the GPS made him do it.
    "You don't have to agree with me, it's ok for you to be wrong." A.R.Rogance

I hope his company, assuming he was driving for a company and not an independent, will be required to pay for the repairs. I hope Spencerville or the county will look into this.
    Mitch McConnell: “The President’s more than willing to negotiate with Iranians, I don’t know why he wouldn’t be willing to negotiate with us.”

Jon Stewart: “If it turns out that President Barack Obama can make a deal with the most intransigent, hard-lined, unreasonable totalitarian mullahs in the world, but not the Republicans, maybe he’s not the problem.”

Quote Originally Posted by hairypumper View Post
    He said the GPS made him do it.
    "Well if your GPS says jump off a bridge would y... Oh. Never mind."
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,
    And kumquats are just, plain evil...

Quote Originally Posted by evilkumquat View Post
    "Well if your GPS says jump off a bridge would y... Oh. Never mind."
    I'm thankful the experts believe they can save our bridge. Of course, the old cross beams that we all used to set on under the roof of the bridge, smooch on, carve our initials in, watch the cars drive under us on are gone forever. The old beams were most sturdy, thankfully, none in my generation were hurt from falling off...not sure about other generations. Grateful for all our memories there. Hopeful for a successful restoration.

Also hope a judge will make an impression on this semi-driver on how much this bridge means to our community and how it hurts all of us to see this damage. Can't believe he actually tried to drive away after doing the damage! Why on earth he did not stop after hearing the first couple of pieces of wood fall on his truck? Nope..he drove clear through the whole darn bridge! Geez! I'm being generous in my words on this post. IF I repeated many emotions being expressed around town, this posting would be censored & rejected.

Looking forward to a successful restoration. It won't be the same, but much better than loosing it forever.
    Hans Christian Anderson

Entirely exhausted, behind schedule, and/or potentially under the influence of some sort of stimulant.

10. Default Re: Semi damages Spencerville Covered Bridge

The news said he was driving while suspended and "alcohol may have been a factor".

The news said he was driving while suspended and "alcohol may have been a factor".
    I was told by some 'locals' that the semi driver had been at the Oasis tavern just prior to the accident asking directions to NuCor. I don't know if he had drinks while there or not Pretty sure the LE will look into that. I did find it interesting that he didn't rely on his GPS for directions to NuCor (which is very close to the Oasis). To drive from the Oasis to the Covered Bridge was NOT a direct route to NuCor.

The good news is he wasn't yet loaded down with a load of steel. Just imagine the damage a fully loaded semi with steel would do in any accident.
    Hans Christian Anderson

How could his employer not gotten wind of the suspended license? Maybe I'm naive about how connected things are, but it seems to me that if somebody has a commercial license suspended, there should be some sort of "alert" that gets sent out to any entities that employ people with those licenses.

13. Default Re: Semi damages Spencerville Covered Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigB View Post
    How could his employer not gotten wind of the suspended license? Maybe I'm naive about how connected things are, but it seems to me that if somebody has a commercial license suspended, there should be some sort of "alert" that gets sent out to any entities that employ people with those licenses.
    The employer only knows if you tell them, or if someone rats you out. People who hire CDL drivers should be able to keep track of infractions for their own CYA.

The employer only knows if you tell them, or if someone rats you out. People who hire CDL drivers should be able to keep track of infractions for their own CYA.
    Thanks for the details, Hairy.

Google revealed this:

http://www.lmtruck.com/articles/lmtb...ew-Highway-Law

I'm guessing this company is in a state (Illinois?) that doesn't have a notification system in place.

15. Default Re: Semi damages Spencerville Covered Bridge

The company I currently work for has thousands of drivers nation wide. Recently we were given a form to fill out detailing any infractions we had in the past year. I don't know if this is the extent of their research or if they are just that trusting.

16. Default Re: Semi damages Spencerville Covered Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by james_t View Post
    It may become the St. Joe Covered Bridge:

AUBURN — The Spencerville Covered Bridge could be moved and made part of a trail system for pedestrian use only, under a plan approved by DeKalb County Commissioners Monday.

Full story (subscription required):

http://www.kpcnews.com/index.php?opt...ticle&id=46567
    Okay, I'm confused here: 2 weeks ago the repair estimates were $114,000. Today the cheapest option is $2 million?

Also one of the options is to build a bypass for the bridge. Isn't that what CR 68 is and was built for already?
    that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Quote Originally Posted by armyda View Post
    Okay, I'm confused here: 2 weeks ago the repair estimates were $114,000. Today the cheapest option is $2 million?

Also one of the options is to build a bypass for the bridge. Isn't that what CR 68 is and was built for already?
    ...Some serious fornicating about is afoot.
    For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it. - Patrick Henry

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by armyda View Post

Fiscally responsible? NOT!
    Open your eyes...............
    Don't go another day through life blindly
    !

Once again something that should not be politicized is looking to become just that. Why in the world would there be thought of moving it? Repair it where it stands and where it was built for and leave it at that. If they want a covered bridge elsewhere then generate the interest and funds to build one there.

This plan of moving our Spencerville Covered Bridge to any other location is PURE GARBAGE!!!

I will not support any sleazy politician who votes in favor of moving this bridge anywhere. This bridge stands in it's historical place of origin. We have gone to great expense to build the new bridge on the new CR 68 a few years back for the purpose to protect this piece of history in our community. It stays in our community and any commissioners who attempt to remove it will find themselves voted out of office ASAP. If anyone wants to walk through it...it is there...do so(once it is reopened).

Outside consultants have no interest in preserving the history of our community. The residents of Spencerville love our bridge.
    Hans Christian Anderson