Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a little about Paul Ryan

Default a little about Paul Ryan

just in case you think that Romneys VP choice is okay, maybe you should take a look at his buddies

http://www.geekologie.com/2012/08/bi...-congressm.php
    coming to you live from police state "Kville"

Default Re: a little about Paul Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by blue adept View Post
    just in case you think that Romneys VP choice is okay, maybe you should take a look at his buddies

http://www.geekologie.com/2012/08/bi...-congressm.php
    I'm not sure what you were aiming for, blue, but I don't trust this guy as far as I can throw him. He's already proven himself to be a serial liar. His area of expertise is supposed to be in budgeting but under scrutiny, none of his plans add up the way he says they will. ALL OF THEM favor the very top tier of earners in ways that will further gut our revenue, add to the deficit and not do a helluva lot to put people back to work. He tries to present himself as a regular guy and is willing to play off his father's early death and parade around his poor mama to do so, but make no mistake, Ryan is no regular guy who grew up in the suburbs and had to work at McDonalds to help his family. THIS is where he grew up: http://bigstory.ap.org/photo/campaign-profile-paul-ryan

And this is HOW the poor little orphan grew up:

"The spokesman said people could interpret the candidate's messages about his youth "however they like, but I don't know that I'd say it's a message of humble beginnings. Rather a message of hard work and upward mobility. And, of course, work was also important as a young man with the passing of his father while still in high school."

But there was also more to it than work. Ryan's rise to political power and financial stability was boosted by family connections and wealth. The larger Ryan family has repeatedly helped the candidate along in his career, giving him a job when he needed one and piling up tens of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions.

In the year after his father's death, Ryan's maternal grandmother set up the Ryan-Hutter Investment Partnership, which remains an important part of Ryan's finances with assets of up to half a million dollars, according to the congressman's 2011 financial disclosure statement. Ryan continues as the general partner running the entity for the family.

Court records indicate Ryan's father left a probate estate of $428,000, though the number of assets existing outside the will or the probate remains unknown. Ryan was to receive $50,000 when he turned 30. The will leaves the bulk of the estate to Ryan's mother, who now lives in an oceanfront condo in Florida.

In addition to the Ryan-Hutter Investment Partnership, Ryan also benefits from another family entity, Ryan Limited Partnership, which was established in March 1995 by an aunt. Ryan's share of that is worth up to $500,000. Ryan makes no investment decisions in either partnership, the campaign spokesman said.

By the time Ryan had entered Congress in 1999 at the age of 28 and filed his first disclosure statement, he reported assets between $167,000 and $1.3 million, owned a home and had three rental units.

The next year, Ryan married Janna Little, a tax attorney, and his income skyrocketed. (Ryan reported gross income of $323,416 in 2011.)

Of the Ryans' maximum estimated assets of $7.6 million, Janna's holdings account for about $6.5 million. She is the daughter of Dan and Prudence Little, two lawyers in Madill, Okla., who over the years have overseen a vast network of land and oil and gas mineral rights." --LA Times

BTW, the Times was kind to call Ryan's wife a "tax attorney". She was actually a lobbyist for the energy industry.

Quote Originally Posted by edeevee View Post
    I'm not sure what you were aiming for, blue, but I don't trust this guy as far as I can throw him. He's already proven himself to be a serial liar. His area of expertise is supposed to be in budgeting but under scrutiny, none of his plans add up the way he says they will. ALL OF THEM favor the very top tier of earners in ways that will further gut our revenue, add to the deficit and not do a helluva lot to put people back to work. He tries to present himself as a regular guy and is willing to play off his father's early death and parade around his poor mama to do so, but make no mistake, Ryan is no regular guy who grew up in the suburbs and had to work at McDonalds to help his family. THIS is where he grew up: http://bigstory.ap.org/photo/campaign-profile-paul-ryan

And this is HOW the poor little orphan grew up:

"The spokesman said people could interpret the candidate's messages about his youth "however they like, but I don't know that I'd say it's a message of humble beginnings. Rather a message of hard work and upward mobility. And, of course, work was also important as a young man with the passing of his father while still in high school."

But there was also more to it than work. Ryan's rise to political power and financial stability was boosted by family connections and wealth. The larger Ryan family has repeatedly helped the candidate along in his career, giving him a job when he needed one and piling up tens of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions.

In the year after his father's death, Ryan's maternal grandmother set up the Ryan-Hutter Investment Partnership, which remains an important part of Ryan's finances with assets of up to half a million dollars, according to the congressman's 2011 financial disclosure statement. Ryan continues as the general partner running the entity for the family.

Court records indicate Ryan's father left a probate estate of $428,000, though the number of assets existing outside the will or the probate remains unknown. Ryan was to receive $50,000 when he turned 30. The will leaves the bulk of the estate to Ryan's mother, who now lives in an oceanfront condo in Florida.

In addition to the Ryan-Hutter Investment Partnership, Ryan also benefits from another family entity, Ryan Limited Partnership, which was established in March 1995 by an aunt. Ryan's share of that is worth up to $500,000. Ryan makes no investment decisions in either partnership, the campaign spokesman said.

By the time Ryan had entered Congress in 1999 at the age of 28 and filed his first disclosure statement, he reported assets between $167,000 and $1.3 million, owned a home and had three rental units.

The next year, Ryan married Janna Little, a tax attorney, and his income skyrocketed. (Ryan reported gross income of $323,416 in 2011.)

Of the Ryans' maximum estimated assets of $7.6 million, Janna's holdings account for about $6.5 million. She is the daughter of Dan and Prudence Little, two lawyers in Madill, Okla., who over the years have overseen a vast network of land and oil and gas mineral rights." --LA Times

BTW, the Times was kind to call Ryan's wife a "tax attorney". She was actually a lobbyist for the energy industry.
    My problem with the guy is as deep rooted as your own E. He apparently is of the ilk that believes that since GOD promised Moses that he wouldn't destroy the Earth again, that we can do no wrong as far as ecological damage. I have read the Bible, and nowhere does GOD promise to keep us from destroying ourselves. But as the sheep never question the sheperd, they can spout what they wish.

My problem with the guy is as deep rooted as your own E. He apparently is of the ilk that believes that since GOD promised Moses that he wouldn't destroy the Earth again, that we can do no wrong as far as ecological damage. I have read the Bible, and nowhere does GOD promise to keep us from destroying ourselves. But as the sheep never question the sheperd, they can spout what they wish.
    We really need a "like" button here

HomeyG Guest

Quote Originally Posted by edeevee View Post
    We really need a "like" button here
    Without a dislike button a like button meanings nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeyG View Post
    Without a dislike button a like button meanings nothing.
    Your little take on psalm 109 verse 8 tells it all Homey, how VERY CHRISTIAN OF YOU! It is comebacks like this that makes me say Christian al-queda, for are people not held accountable for their hatred? And before you claim ignorance, read on after that particular verse!

For me the biggest thing I dislike about Paul Ryan is his deep rooted belief that somehow even though he wants smaller government he also wants the government to tell you what you can do with your body. I am against Abortion. There are to many ways to avoid it today. I do not however for one minute think that I can tell anyone else how they live their lives or what they do with their bodies. The Government has no business telling women that they will be criminals if they have an abortion. I have long said. If Anti-Abortion people are emphatic that it should be outlawed they should set up a system. Each person that wants the government to outlaw Abortion should sign up. Then when a person that was going to have an abortion goes to this entity they are paired with a Anti-Abortion person that has signed up. That Anti-Abortion person then pays for all costs for that baby from inception to college graduation. I would bet that the rolls of Anti-Abortionists would dry up faster than the corn did this year.
    Mitch McConnell: “The President’s more than willing to negotiate with Iranians, I don’t know why he wouldn’t be willing to negotiate with us.”

Jon Stewart: “If it turns out that President Barack Obama can make a deal with the most intransigent, hard-lined, unreasonable totalitarian mullahs in the world, but not the Republicans, maybe he’s not the problem.”

Your little take on psalm 109 verse 8 tells it all Homey, how VERY CHRISTIAN OF YOU! It is comebacks like this that makes me say Christian al-queda, for are people not held accountable for their hatred? And before you claim ignorance, read on after that particular verse!
    I only wish Frank Herbert's Dune or Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's series were as well-sectioned as the Christian Bible, so I could rattle off key sections and paragraphs like the American Taliban do.

They'd be all like, "Romney is an honest man!" and I'd be all like, "Chapterhouse Dune, Chapter 18, Verse 12, *******!"*

-------------------------------------------------

I don't exactly remember the actual chapter and verse in which it occurred, but Frank Herbert made some excellent points about how people with pathological personalities are attracted to power and how power doesn't corrupt, but rather it attracts the corruptible.
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,
    And kumquats are just, plain evil...

Quote Originally Posted by evilkumquat View Post
    I only wish Frank Herbert's Dune or Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's series were as well-sectioned as the Christian Bible, so I could rattle off key sections and paragraphs like the American Taliban do.

They'd be all like, "Romney is an honest man!" and I'd be all like, "Chapterhouse Dune, Chapter 18, Verse 12, *******!"*

-------------------------------------------------

I don't exactly remember the actual chapter and verse in which it occurred, but Frank Herbert made some excellent points about how people with pathological personalities are attracted to power and how power doesn't corrupt, but rather it attracts the corruptible.
    The problems I have with so-called Christians is that they try to distance themselves from other religions that were spawned from theirs, or they were spawned from. The psalm Homey is now referencing is basically a curse similar to to let thy camels hump wither. They use only the part they want about him losing his office, but if you go on it tells the true story, they want Obama to suffer, to pay, to be punished, it is almost like hearing a crazed muslim go on about killing Americans! I am not so fluent on Herbert, It took me to long to slog through much of the Dunes books, and I never reread them.

The problems I have with so-called Christians is that they try to distance themselves from other religions that were spawned from theirs, or they were spawned from. The psalm Homey is now referencing is basically a curse similar to to let thy camels hump wither. They use only the part they want about him losing his office, but if you go on it tells the true story, they want Obama to suffer, to pay, to be punished, it is almost like hearing a crazed muslim go on about killing Americans! I am not so fluent on Herbert, It took me to long to slog through much of the Dunes books, and I never reread them.
    They're not everyone's cup of tea and they can be extremely complicated. It helps that I've re-read them countless times (although now I just listen to the audiobook versions) which helped a lot of his concepts finally sink in.

I especially like his views on government, specifically his ideas that a) those who most want to lead should never be put anywhere near actual power (something Douglas Adams had also posited), b) power doesn't corrupt but rather attracts those who can be easily corrupted, and c) too many governments rely on hiding bad news and punishing those who speak truth rather than focusing on what needs to be done to fix things.
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,

HomeyG Guest

If you honestly think I want harm to come to President Obama or any other man you are sadly mistaken and I should be offended, but I don't, instead I feel sorry for you. My only intent is as verse 8 states: "Let his days be few; and let another take his office."

If you honestly think I want harm to come to President Obama or any other man you are sadly mistaken and I should be offended, but I don't, instead I feel sorry for you. My only intent is as verse 8 states: "Let his days be few; and let another take his office."
    NIce try, do you always turn it back on the other person? Or are you cherry picking the the psalm?

1 Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise;
    2 for the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me:

they have spoken against me with a lying tongue.
    3 They compassed me about also with words of hatred;

and fought against me without a cause.
    4 For my love they are my adversaries:

but I give myself unto prayer.
    5 And they have rewarded me evil for good,

and hatred for my love.
    6 Set thou a wicked man over him:

and let Satan stand at his right hand.
    7 When he shall be judged, let him be condemned:

and let his prayer become sin.
    8 Let his days be few;

and let another take his office. Acts 1.20
    9 Let his children be fatherless,

and his wife a widow.
    10 Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg:

let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.
    11 Let the extortioner catch all that he hath;

and let the strangers spoil his labor.
    12 Let there be none to extend mercy unto him:

neither let there be any to favor his fatherless children.
    13 Let his posterity be cut off;

and in the generation following let their name be blotted out.
    14 Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the LORD;

and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
    15 Let them be before the LORD continually,

that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.
    16 Because that he remembered not to show mercy,

but persecuted the poor and needy man,
    that he might even slay the broken in heart.
    17 As he loved cursing,

so let it come unto him:
    as he delighted not in blessing,
    so let it be far from him.
    18 As he clothed himself with cursing like as with his garment,

so let it come into his bowels like water,
    and like oil into his bones.
    19 Let it be unto him as the garment which covereth him,

and for a girdle wherewith he is girded continually.
    20 Let this be the reward of mine adversaries from the LORD,

and of them that speak evil against my soul.
    21 But do thou for me, O GOD the Lord, for thy name's sake:

because thy mercy is good, deliver thou me.
    22 For I am poor and needy,

and my heart is wounded within me.
    23 I am gone like the shadow when it declineth:

I am tossed up and down as the locust.
    24 My knees are weak through fasting;

and my flesh faileth of fatness.
    25 I became also a reproach unto them:

when they looked upon me they shook their heads. Mt. 27.39 · Mk. 15.29
    26 Help me, O LORD my God:

O save me according to thy mercy:
    27 that they may know that this is thy hand;

that thou, LORD, hast done it.
    28 Let them curse, but bless thou:

when they arise, let them be ashamed;
    but let thy servant rejoice.
    29 Let mine adversaries be clothed with shame;

and let them cover themselves with their own confusion, as with a mantle.
    30 I will greatly praise the LORD with my mouth;

yea, I will praise him among the multitude.
    31 For he shall stand at the right hand of the poor,

to save him from those that condemn his soul.

HomeyG Guest

Blue,

I guess the difference between you and me is that you like to take Bible passages literally in a negative way and I try to use them both literally and figuratively by applying a little common sense towards each passage.

Quote Originally Posted by evilkumquat View Post
    In the case of Dune, can't you just use all the little quotes he put at the beginning of each chapter?

Blue,

I guess the difference between you and me is that you like to take Bible passages literally in a negative way and I try to use them both literally and figuratively by applying a little common sense towards each passage.
    If I take them literally, they are negative all by themselves, with no negative thought on my part. That being said, that is exactly my problem with the Bible, Christians take what they want, and leave the rest. That is how they justify hating gays, and taking away their rights. This is an unwinable stance you are taking Homey, either use the psalm, or don't, but don't claim the right to cherry pick, that is enbecomeing.

Quote Originally Posted by james_t View Post
    In the case of Dune, can't you just use all the little quotes he put at the beginning of each chapter?
    Nah, because the real gems aren't in the epigraphs, they're contained in the actual text.
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,

Quote Originally Posted by sturmtiger View Post
    For me the biggest thing I dislike about Paul Ryan is his deep rooted belief that somehow even though he wants smaller government he also wants the government to tell you what you can do with your body. I am against Abortion. There are to many ways to avoid it today. I do not however for one minute think that I can tell anyone else how they live their lives or what they do with their bodies. The Government has no business telling women that they will be criminals if they have an abortion. I have long said. If Anti-Abortion people are emphatic that it should be outlawed they should set up a system. Each person that wants the government to outlaw Abortion should sign up. Then when a person that was going to have an abortion goes to this entity they are paired with a Anti-Abortion person that has signed up. That Anti-Abortion person then pays for all costs for that baby from inception to college graduation. I would bet that the rolls of
    Anti-Abortionists would dry up faster than the corn did this year.
    We already have a system like that it's called Welfare. They system takes care of millions each year.
    We, your American Legion Riders, ride for God and country, the American Legion Family and Allied Veterans everywhere. Protect those who protect us. Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by pixiegirl View Post
    We already have a system like that it's called Welfare. They system takes care of millions each year.
    I think you were trying to be witty there, but failed miserably.

Perhaps you can elaborate.
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,

Quote Originally Posted by pixiegirl View Post
    Pixie, I must ask you this question. Are any of your children female?
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson

Here is some more fodder for what kind of person Paul Ryan is:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-...chen-photo-op/

In a nutshell, without permission from the charity, Paul Ryan and his campaign wormed their way into an Ohio soup kitchen that was empty of patrons and most staff, then washed some already clean dishes for the camera, all in an effort to generate a photo op that was supposed to counter his well-known heartless viewpoint on the poor.

This is a man who said: "The only thing that limits you is your God given talent and your own effort. We need to have that dynamic economy return. You do that by drawing the economy and giving people a hand up, not a hand out. Teach a man how to fish, he can feed himself for a life. Don't simply feed fish."

Funny, but "feeding fish" is pretty much the sole duty of a soup kitchen.

God this man is an evil, fake, incompetent hack.
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,