Thread: christianity a philoshophy?

Default christianity a philoshophy?

Boy, when the going gets tough, the Christians change the rules, or try to.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...-a-philosophy/
    coming to you live from police state "Kville"

Default Re: christianity a philoshophy?

Quote Originally Posted by blue adept View Post
    Boy, when the going gets tough, the Christians change the rules, or try to.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...-a-philosophy/
    What do you expect from a guy who thinks the tide going in and out is so mysterious that it can’t be explained? (Despite the fact that Kepler figured it out in the 1600’s)
    It’s pretty scary that a multi-million dollar a year TV personality could be so ignorant. And then you realize that there are probably a few million viewers so ignorant that they believe him! That’s truly frightening! If your faith is big enough, facts, truth, and knowledge don’t matter.
    I rather liked someone’s comment that if O’Reilly is correct and Christianity is a “philosophy” and not a religion, then every Christian church in America owes 236 years of back taxes. Can I get an “Amen”?
    “People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.” -Soren Kierkegaard

This reminded me of an article I read recently, claiming that O'reilly (among others) was actually smarter than we might otherwise think. Based on my observation of O'reilly, I have to conclude either that Harvard is not deserving of its reputation as a great university OR the definition of "smart" has changed.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-dumb-c...han-you-think/
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” –George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by hideaway70 View Post
    This reminded me of an article I read recently, claiming that O'reilly (among others) was actually smarter than we might otherwise think. Based on my observation of O'reilly, I have to conclude either that Harvard is not deserving of its reputation as a great university OR the definition of "smart" has changed.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-dumb-c...han-you-think/
    I lost all respect for Ivy League schools upon learning W. Bush was a Yale grad.
    Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,
    And kumquats are just, plain evil...

Quote Originally Posted by evilkumquat View Post
    I lost all respect for Ivy League schools upon learning W. Bush was a Yale grad.
    The term "college graduate" has last a lot of its luster for me, particularly after witnessing so many classmates graduate with a fraction of the knowledge and competence you would expect of someone with a degree and working with degreed people lacking the intelligence to tie their shoes. It leads me to believe that (gasp) it might be all about paying the tuition and having reasonably good study habits. Critical thinking and innate intelligence are optional.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” –George Carlin

Philosophy is an attitude or way of thinking. I believe most scientists bring their ways of thinking as scientists to the topic of religion and/or spirituality. This thread brings to mind a letter written by Einstein on the topic of God and spirituality.

While the New York Times noted that “Einstein consistently characterized the idea of a personal God who answers prayers as naïve, and life after death as wishful thinking,” he also “described himself as an ‘agnostic’ and ‘not an atheist.” One ambiguous quote, from Einstein’s response to a letter from a sixth-grade student named Phyllis Wright, reads “Everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe – a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble. In this way the pursuit of science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort, which is indeed quite different from the religiosity of someone more naïve.’

--German physicist, created theory of general relativity.
    Albert Einstein

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/17/sc...einsteinw.html
    "It is the power of thought that gives man power over nature."
    Hans Christian Anderson