The heritage and background of this area
For more than 85 years, visitors to the Steuben County area have
been greeted by the Soldiers Monument in downtown Angola.
Built in 1917, the monument commemorates the men who fought in
the Civil War.
Columbia, the heroic-sized figure that stands atop the 70-foot-high
monument, can be seen holding a flag and a wreath of peace. The
four lower statues represent the four branches of service and
are known as Infantryman at Parade Rest, Cavalryman, Artilleryman
Each side of the monument features a plaque with the names of
1,278 Steuben County men who enlisted for service.
The Steuben County Tourism Bureau, located just one block south
of the monument in the old jail, has postcards of the monument
available to visitors at no charge.
A conglomeration of architectural styles, the Old Steuben County
Jail is also included in the National Register. The brick and
concrete structure, completed in 1877, cost $21,144 to build and
housed the jail, sheriffs residence and office. At one time,
four-star General Lewis B. Hershey resided in the old jail with
his father, the sheriff.
One of five Steuben County buildings listed in the National Register
of Historic Places, the Steuben County Courthouse is located on
the southeast side of the public square in Angola, the county
seat. Built in 1868, the brick structure with ornamental brackets
under the cornice is trimmed in dark green ivy in the summer.
Located at 313 E. Maumee St. in Angola, the Cline Memorial House
Museum is a memorial from Carrie Cline Cameron, wife of Cameron
Hospital founder Don Cameron, to her parents, Cyrus and Jennie
Cyrus Cline was the northeast Indiana district representative
to the United States Congress during the terms of Presidents Taft
and Wilson, from 1905-1917. The museum documents the lives of
the Cline and Cameron families and is furnished with treasures
from 1900 on.
The museum is open to the public June through August on Sundays
from 2 to 4 p.m. or by contacting the Steuben County Historical
Society at (260) 665-5060.
Powers Church is located 1/4 mile north of U.S. Highway 20, nine
miles east of Angola on Old Road 1. The church was built in 1876
and regular services were held there until the 1920s. Renovations
began in 1976 and the church now features original oak and butternut
woodwork, kerosene lamps and an original pump organ. Summer services
are still being held.
Built in 1877, the Collins Schoolhouse housed students in grades
one through eight with one teacher until 1943.
Located on State Road 120 between Fremont and Orland, the school
is open Sundays from 2 to 4 p.m. May through August by appointment
only. Call June Collins at (260) 829-6152.